Cursor won't enter Master PWD field

gharlow
gharlow
Community Member

Clicking the Keyhole icon in the menu bar produces the expected Master PWD login dialog but my cursor won't enter the field.
In Chrome nothing happens when I click on the Keyhole icon for the extension.
If I launch the app in the Finder I am able to log in to my data and the Menu bar and Chrome extension function.

After a reinstall of the app downloaded from your website (6.8.9):
If I launch the app in the Finder I am able to enter my password and log in to my data and the Mac Menu bar functions however, the Chrome extension no longer functions (probably because the Chrome web store only downloads an extension compatible with ver 7?).
Quitting the 1Password Mac app causes the same result after clicking the Keyhole icon in the menu bar the expected Master PWD login dialog is displayed but my cursor won't enter the field to unlock functionality.

The link you have to the Safari extension on your downloads page is DEAD and you need to offer a valid extension please.
https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers
-> DEAD LINK -> https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

This makes my 1Password even less usable than my initial issues.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @gharlow! :) I'm sorry for the trouble.

The link you have to the Safari extension on your downloads page is DEAD and you need to offer a valid extension please.

Not from here; I just tried it and got right to the expected 1Password extension (4.7.3.90) for Safari from the Extensions Gallery. If you're having trouble accessing it, you may want to check your network connection or restart either your computer, your router or both.

If I launch the app in the Finder I am able to enter my password and log in to my data and the Mac Menu bar functions however, the Chrome extension no longer functions (probably because the Chrome web store only downloads an extension compatible with ver 7?).

There isn't a "version 7" extension for Chrome (as opposed to a "version 6" extension), but there IS a difference between 1Password X and the type of extension you need if you have the companion app installed. If you open Chrome's extensions, what 1Password extension do you see there, and what is the version number?

• gharlow
    gharlow
    Community Member

1Password extension (desktop app required)
    Version 4.7.3.90

Note: This extension is newer as the old one never said " (desktop app required)". The old one worked just fine until I downloaded the extension to add to Brave browser. It downloaded the latest and that's when everything started changing/not working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Aha. It's had "desktop app required" in the name since 2017 because we introduced 1Password X, which does not require a desktop app. :)

It also wasn't possible to install any extensions in the original Brave browser; rather, they built some (including 1Password) into it. Now that it's built on Chromium though, you can install regular Chrome extensions there. However, the old version of 1Password predates the new Brave browser, and will not communicate with it because it is unknown. You'd need to upgrade to the current version of 1Password for Mac in order to get support for current browsers. Sorry for the confusion there.

• gharlow
    gharlow
    Community Member

That's all fine and dandy and now I know it doesn't work with Brave!

Now, why can't I use my desktop version? Why won't the cursor go into the Master Password field so I can unlock it from the menu bar in the Finder. And how do I get the functionality back in Chrome and Safari with the version of 1Password I'm using?

• Now, why can't I use my desktop version? Why won't the cursor go into the Master Password field so I can unlock it from the menu bar in the Finder

I'm not sure I follow. 1Password doesn't have integration with Finder. Could you please post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• gharlow
    gharlow
    Community Member

This is a screen shot of my menu bar. As you can see there's a keyhole icon up there and the expected behavior is that when I click on it a dialogue box drops down and the cursor flashes in the "Master Password" field. The field is no longer active and a cursor can't be clicked in the field.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@gharlow: I'm not able to reproduce that here, even with the old version of 1Password for Mac that you're using. We don't have any control over cursor behaviour. The OS handles that. Have you tried typing? The cursor may just not be showing up on your system, perhaps due to some modification you've made in the OS and/or with other software. Can you show me what you see in Safari Preferences > Extensions > 1Password?

• gharlow
    gharlow
    Community Member

The field now accepts characters however the cursor never enters the field. As such, it is now working in Safari - but not Chrome. And now that I've removed the extension where do I find a Chrome extension that works with version 6? Doesn't seem to be in the installer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gharlow - the current version of 1Password's extension for Chrome is 4.7.3.90 -- you can get it at the Chrome web store. If this is what you already have installed, and it's not working, make sure the extension is active (not just installed), and if it was already active, then please delete the extension, restart your Mac, and then re-download the extension and try again.

• gharlow
    gharlow
    Community Member

All of that seemed to fix my issues for now. Thanks.

• Glad we were able to help. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.