Can't add two family accounts to the iOS app on our family iPad

Options
dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member

Hi,

my wife and I have each our own family account and we have various shared vaults. Everything works well on our desktop pcs and our iPhones, but we have a problem on our shared family iPad.

As it seems it isn't possible to add two family accounts from one family to the iOS app. That's disappointing. On shared devices as iPads it should be possible to use more than one account on it. Especially there isn't an easy way to get to the password data in the second account.

What's the solution for shared family iPads where different operating system level accounts aren't possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dahanbn

iOS is designed as a single-user-per-device operating system. There is no functionality that allows for multiple users like most desktop operating systems have. One could certainly argue that iPads are often shared by families (or even in business environments) and as such should have multi-user support, but that isn't the direction Apple has decided to go with them.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

I'm not blaming Apple for the limitation within 1Password - simply pointing out the design philosphy of iOS. It is designed to be a single user system.

We don't have any multi-user support in the 1Password apps themselves (any of them). We rely on support (or not) from the underlying operating system. If your intention is for both of you to have access to all the same data by unlocking 1Password with a single Master Password as would've been the case with your previous setup you could accomplish that by either sharing a 1Password account or by ignoring your respective Private vaults and only using shared vaults which you've given both of your acccounts access to. Either of these would achieve very similar results to your previous setup. Alternatively if you want to maintain some of the separation offered by having separate accounts but still access both accounts from one iOS device one of you can sign in to the app and the other can utlize the my.1password.com web interface. The other possibility would be to sign into your account in 1Password for iOS when you are using it and sign out when done so someone else can sign in.

Ben

• kiwicam
    kiwicam
    Community Member
    Options

Could we raise multi-user support as a feature request? I've got this issue at home too and was wondering if 1Password could solve it.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi @kiwicam

It is something that has been discussed internally. At this point we're not headed in that direction. We may reconsider in the future if the landscape shifts significantly, but I think it is probably safe to assume that 1Password will continue to be a one person per-OS level user account app. On iOS there is only the possibility of a single user account, as iOS is designed as a single-user operating system. Unless that changes I don't see having multiple users signed into 1Password on iOS being feasible.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.