I have 1password on my computer and I have a master password. I do not understand what to do next...

Patrick55
Patrick55
Community Member

I downloaded 1 password and have the master key and the master password. I do not understand what to do next to fully utilize the 1password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have 1password on my computer and I have a master password. I do not understand what to do next...

Comments

• MrSnrub
    MrSnrub
    Community Member

You could scan the setup code (a QR-code), which you will find in your emergency kit, or in your account (my.1password.com, for example).

Once you open the application, choose "scan setup-code". A little scan-window opens, like when you scan a qr-code on a smartphone. Move this window over the setup-code and after one or two seconds, the following information will copied to the 1Password application:

• Region
    • Username
    • Email-address
    • Secret Key

You still have to enter your Master Password manually. After that, click "Log in" and you are inside your account. Next time you open the application, it might be locked, depending in your settings. This time you will onyl need to enter the Master Password, not the Secret Key. You will always have to enter the Master Password when the application is locked. Same thing goes for your online login on my.1password.com (or .eu, or .ca, depending on what region you chose during signup). After you enter your Secret Key there once, it will be saved locally on your device, so you don't have to enter it every time.

Here's how to find the Secret Key and/or setup code: https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

After you open the app, you can start entering logins, passwords, etc. Click either the "+"-button next to the search field or do it like this for exisiting logins:

1. Make sure the 1Password browser extension is installed (https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers) and 1Password is unlocked
    2. Visit the website you want to save a login for. Login the with the credentials you usually use.
    3. Once you login, 1Password will ask you to save the login. If you click save, all information like the login URL, username & password will be saved in your 1Password account and therefore in all your 1P-apps. You could now use 1P to change the password to something very strong and pretty much unmemorable, since you don't have to memorize it anymore.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Patrick55 - and also to 1Password! So, if you've signed up for a 1password.com membership, you're on the right track. This is the easiest and most reliable method of using 1Password today. If you've got your Secret Key and Master Password, you'll be able to sign into the account on any device. As @MrSnrub says, you can do that by either entering that data manually or by scanning your Setup Code. Did you print out your Emergency Kit when you created the account? If so, you'll find the Setup Code there.

But first, please follow these instructions to download 1Password 7 for Mac, install it, and get started. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Hey all, Thanks for getting back to me. I have installed the 1password extension on Chrome and see the icon in the top left. I have logged into several websites and entered my user name and password and 1password did open to ask for master password. It's just logging onto the website/

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Please someone---PLEASE help me with this. I have had 1password installed on my desktop for more than a week and have not been able to use it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55 - OK. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password for Mac you have installed?
    2. What specific version of macOS you have installed?
    3. What specific version of 1Password extension you have installed in Chrome?
    4. What specific steps you've taken, and what's not happening the way you expect it to?

Thanks! :)

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars, I have looked long and hard and cannot see what version of 1password for Mac I have.

I cannot find what version of 1passoword extension I have installed on Chrome

My Mac is Version 10.13.6

My problem is that when I try to activate 1password to work when logging into a website. 1password does not prompt me to enter a master password. It's like I do not have it installed. However, I definitely do have it installed. Is there anyway to share computers with someone to help me?

Patrick

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars, I see that I have 1password version 7.2.4

Patrick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55: Thanks! Then a good place to start is setting up the 1Password extension in your browser. This guide will show you how to use it:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

That will allow you to save and fill login credentials with 1Password in your browser. Let me know if you have any questions along the way. :)

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Brently, As I have mentioned I have the 1password extension in my browser. I can see it there. However, when I try to log into a website, 1password does not prompt me to fill in my master password

Note, I have had 1 password installed on my mac for two weeks and have not been able to use it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55 - in Chrome, please hold down the command key and type a comma ( ⌘, ). This will bring up Chrome's settings. In the left sidebar, click the "hamburger" menu at the top left -- three horizontal lines, then choose "Extensions" from the drop-down menu. You'll see a list of every extension you have in Chrome. Please locate the 1Password extension and make sure it's enabled (turned on). Let us know what the version number of the extension is, please. It will be in the top-right corner of the box.

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars, thanks so much for your help. I have done exactly what you have asked. I see that 1password version that I have enabled in my Chrome extension is 4.7.3.90

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55 - OK, thanks. All of that should be good, if you have current Chrome, 4.7.3.90 version of the 1Password extension and 1Password version 7.2.4. Can you tell us the specific steps you're taking? You said earlier that "when I try to log into a website, 1Password does not prompt me to fill in my Master Password." Please describe the steps you're taking in detail (you can use the guide brenty referred you to as a guide). In other words: are you manually typing in the URL of the website? Double-clicking the item in 1Password? Something else? The more detail you can give us, the better.

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars. I agree that all seems good. However, 1password is not working on my Mac This is what I have done to test it.
    1. I log out of Amazon.
    2. I log back in. (I should be prompted to log in with my master password here.) Is that right?
    3. I log into many other websites and log in. Again, 1password does not come up for me to log in the master password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55 -

I log back in.

How are you logging back into Amazon? Are you typing your credentials for Amazon manually into the Login field on Amazon's website? Are you using 1Password to fill the data? Something else? If you're typing the credentials in yourself, 1Password will not appear unless a) it is running and b) you don't have a login item saved already for the site you're signing into.

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars, I first log out of Amazon. Then I manually type in my user name and password. Is it fact the google chrome is remembering my passwords keeping 1password from running?

I really need 1password to help me with all the things that 1password said it would help me with.

Is there any way to share computers in order to help me. Do you have a contact #?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55 - we don't offer telephone or "live chat" support for 1Password, but if you still have Chrome's password manager turned on, we recommend you turn it off.

When you look in 1Password's Login items category, do you have an Amazon item there?

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars, Still having a problem. I turned off Amazon password in Google Chrome. I then opened up Amazon and logged out and then manually logged back in. There is no evidence that 1password saved the password. It did not ask me to enter my master password.

I run a radio network and must have more than 40 different passwords that I need to access for that alone, hundreds more for other sites such as banks, insurance, airlines. etc. 1password reviews note that it is incredible and easy to use. I find the opposite is true.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I turned off Amazon password in Google Chrome.

@Patrick55: What do you mean?

There is no evidence that 1password saved the password. It did not ask me to enter my master password.

You would know if 1Password saved the password. You would have needed to confirm that. It doesn't save or fill information without user interaction. Manually saving a login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Please do the following:

1. Navigate to the website's login page
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form using the mouse or keyboard

Let me know how it goes!

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Brently: Big Clue here as to why 1password is not working. After logging in, I clicked the keyhole icon to bring up the extension---and nothing happened. (I'm assuming you are talking about the keyhole icon in the top right of my page, which is the extension..)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55 - I'm sorry for the continued trouble. :(

After logging in, I clicked the keyhole icon to bring up the extension---and nothing happened.

After logging in...to what? Amazon? Your computer? 1Password?

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars, Yes, it was Amazon. I simply want to test 1password on one website. I feel like I am in some kind of twilight zone. I know I have 1password installed with a master key and master password and the extension. At the same time, it seems like I do not have any of those things.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55 - I'm sorry for the continued trouble. For now, to get a better idea of what's going on with your specific setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#FSZ-33878-882]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Patrick55 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: FSZ-33878-882

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars, thanks for working with me on this. I appreciate your patience. I just followed your instructions and sent the diagnostic report with the special code in the subject line.

Again,

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Lars, I have followed all your instructions in deleting the second account of 1password on my mac computer. What should I expect now?
    I'm logging into areas that I need assess to, and there seems that there is no 1password interacting with me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Patrick55 - let's keep this conversation going via email, if you don't mind, so we can avoid discussing details of your personal 1Password setup in this public forum. I sent you a reply back on Feb 25 but never heard anything back. Can you please generate a new diagnostics report and send it along in a reply to that email (not here in the forum) so I can see where you are now? Thanks. :)

• Patrick55
    Patrick55
    Community Member

Will do Lars.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.