Search Doesn't Search notes field for logins

According to [https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/418456/#Comment_418456](this comment by a 1Password team member),

By default, 1Password searches all fields

However, it does not appear to search the notes field for login items. Is this expected behavior?

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2018

Hi @codasalt,

Thanks for reporting this.

It does for me:

Highlighting in the note fields itself is not supported at the moment, if that's what you are referring to.

• Hi @codasalt,

Hold on, I think I know what's going on. Let me follow up in a bit.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @codasalt,

I've figured out how to reproduce this, are you using a standalone vault by any chance?

If yes, I've filed a bug report. Once I restart the the app, the note fields are no longer searched for standalone vaults.

We'll get this fixed.

ref: opw/opw#3504

• codasalt
    codasalt
    Community Member

Thanks!

• codasalt
    codasalt
    Community Member

Before I saw your comment that you successfully reproduced this, I did some more troubleshooting and encountered another issue that may be closely related. If the "enable Sync" option is disabled for a standalone vault, then new items created in that vault will not have their notes field searched until the vault is locked and unlocked at least once after the item was created. This is sort of the opposite of the issue you mentioned, since locking and unlocking the vault fixes the problem in this case rather than causing it.

• Yes, it is related. When you unlock 1Password, we run a search indexer to grab the content to make the search work quicker but for some odd reasons, it doesn't grab the note fields of the standalone vault items.

If you create a new item, it is picked up but restart, it is not picked up. It is very odd since the same code works for 1Password.com vaults consistently, it may be a bug in our logic when it comes to indexing the standalone vaults.

• codasalt
    codasalt
    Community Member

From your response, I'm not sure if I clearly explained what I was trying to say. I've tried to write in a different way.

current buggy behavior for standalone vaults:

with enable Sync setting: enabled
         search function searches notes field of items created before the last time the vault was locked: no
         search function searches notes field of items created after the last time the vault was unlocked: yes

with enable Sync setting: disabled
         search function searches notes field of items created before the last time the vault was locked: yes
         search function searches notes field of items created after the last time the vault was unlocked: no

So there are two separate cases, although they might have the same root cause.

• Hi @codasalt,

You were clear, I'm saying they are related. The bug is in the search indexer itself, there is no code interaction between the sync and search. The buggy search indexer is causing various edge cases that both of us saw and I'm sure there are other settings that may change the behavior. Once we fix the search indexer, it'll be consistent regardless of what you do.

• RichardWest
    RichardWest
    Community Member

Is this still an issue? I'm a new user that imported my data from LastPass. I have about 50 "Secure Note" items. I am unable to use search to find items that are contained within the Secure Notes. Is there any setting I should be checking?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RichardWest: Items cannot be contained within Secure Notes. But typing in the search box will find Secure Notes (and other items) with matching text in them.

• RichardWest
    RichardWest
    Community Member

@brenty Sorry for the confusion -- when I said "items" I should have said "Text". I do not have any type of file attachments or anything within my notes. The problem I am seeing is that if I have a note with the word "BRENTY" somewhere in the note, I am unable to find the note by searching for "BRENTY"

• RichardWest
    RichardWest
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Here is an example

Notice how "No Results" are displayed when I searched to the characters "ksi3jg8"

The note is displayed to the right because that is the note that I had open at the time of the search, just to demonstrate that the text exists in a note.

• I'm not able to reproduce this myself, @RichardWest. I created an exact duplicate of your test note and was able to search it using the string in question without issue. Now, that said, we do believe this issue isn't entirely fixed. It's not something we can reproduce consistently any longer with some refresh issues now resolved, but it's still a bit quirky. We believe this will be fully fixed in a future update, but for now there may still be some edge cases. For the sake of thoroughness, if you lock then unlock 1Password are you able to locate the note by searching that string?

• RichardWest
    RichardWest
    Community Member

@bundtkate Locking then unlocking 1Password did not change the results. I'm still unable to search for this string, or other strings within notes. I thought perhaps it was an indexing thing with the notes that I imported from my LastPass vault. However, this was a new test note originally created from within 1Password.

I'm using the 1Password X plugin version 1.14.2 within Firefox on Windows 10 if that helps anything. However, even within the web UI for 1Password I'm unable to search the notes.

If there is anything else I can test please let me know.

• I just noticed the color of your sidebar, @RichardWest – it's wrong for the latest version of 1Password for Windows and I should have seen that earlier. Are you doing this search within 1Password X, by chance? The issues discussed here were in the Windows desktop app and are now resolved, but that doesn't mean 1Password X behaves the same and certainly would explain my inability to reproduce the problem. I can reproduce this in 1Password X and I believe that's expected behavior for the moment, but if I'm right that you're seeing this in the extension and not the desktop app, I can certainly confirm with the team and pass along a feature request for searching within Secure Notes.

• RichardWest
    RichardWest
    Community Member

I am using the Password X browser extension in Firefox and Chrome. Is the Windows install and "normal" plugin the recommend apps to use? Pasword X seemed to look and feel more like what I was used to with LastPass, so that is why I'm using it right now, but perhaps the other system behaves the same?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RichardWest: On Windows (or MacOS) you can use the 1Password desktop app/extension together:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

It works a bit differently, but has some additional capabilities since it can benefit from the native app (instead of working solely in the browser). We're working on bringing that kind of integration to 1Password X as well, and it's in beta for the Mac app, with Windows coming in the future too.

This discussion has been closed.