failed to load ItemUrl for item | 1Password::item_json:179

deargle
deargle
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am using 1p7.3.657 on windows with a .opvault stored in dropbox that I upgraded from .agilekeychain a few months ago while still using 1p4. Pretty often, when I click in chrome to launch the popup or when I search / edit / save within the 1p desktop app, everything hangs for 20 or 30 seconds, sometimes longer. I looked in the logs and when that is happening, there are typically one or more entries like the following:

INF:13664  │ 1Password::api:1673            │ 730102533ms │ Saved item <id> to local vault <id>
WRN:13664  │ 1Password::opvault::backup:201 │ 730102549ms │ backup "2019-02-20-16-14-11.zip" already created within 24 hours for vault id 1
WRN:13664  │ 1Password::item_json:179       │ 730106980ms │ failed to load ItemUrl for item
WRN:13664  │ 1Password::item_json:179       │ 730144139ms │ failed to load ItemUrl for item
INF:13664  │ 1Password::opvault::sync:449   │ 730154633ms │ Sync 26, actions: 1565, vault: 1, path: <redacted>

After the sync clears, 1p is responive again.

My guess is that there are two items that didn't like the switch from 1p4 to 1p7. (I remember seeing some items have fields which just don't appear anywhere in 1p7, but which are still visible if I open the vault in 1p4.)

Any way to track down which items the ItemUrl is failing to load for?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:failed to load itemurl

Comments

• Hi @deargle,

Thanks for reporting this. That does look like 1Password is struggling to parse a specific item for more than 30 seconds, we'll need to figure out why that is happening.

My guess is that there are two items that didn't like the switch from 1p4 to 1p7. (I remember seeing some items have fields which just don't appear anywhere in 1p7, but which are still visible if I open the vault in 1p4.)

Do you know what they were and can you try finding them again in 1Password 4?

Any way to track down which items the ItemUrl is failing to load for?

Not at the moment, it error'ed out while trying to parse the item, which has the internal ID we'd need to know what it is. We have an idea and are in the process of adding code to try to wrap that item into an internal ID to track it down in your 1Password database, rather than the OPVault folder.

Please stay tuned, I'll follow up as soon as we have it done.

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member

I misspoke earlier about the fields that disappeared -- it was in 1p4 that they disappeared when I converted from .agilekeychain to .opvault. IIRC they were some that that I had created way back in 1p4 -- "accounts" password field disappeared. I think SSN as well. Was not a problem moving from 1p4 to 1p7.

• Did you convert to OPVault in 1Password 4 rather than 1Password 7, @deargle? If so, that might actually be the root source of your trouble. If these items weren't properly converted, 1Password 7 might be able to read them, but still dislike something about the item itself. Let us know how you converted that vault. Could be I'm wrong, but might be there's a clue there that could help us get things running better. :+1:

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

sorry @bundtkate didn't get an email notification about your message. Yes, I converted from .agilekeychain to .opvault in 1p4 when 1p4 forced the upgrade and when android started notifying on every popup, sometime last year.

• Thanks for the extra detail, @deargle! That still sounds like it could be a conversion issue. We built some extra magic into the conversion process in 1Password 7 for Windows and 1Password 7 for Android to upgrade any super old items, but that magic wouldn't have happened in 1Password 4. That said, I'm not sure this knowledge gives us anything actionable. Since you did this conversion a while back, I'd wager your old AgileKeychain would be pretty outdated. I wonder – if you open your current OPVault that you're using in 1Password 7 in 1Password 4, do you still see those items that are missing fields? If you do, are those items visible at all in 1Password 7? Might be there's a correlation between the items that are problematic in 1Password 4 and those now giving 1Password 7 trouble. Take a peek, if you can, and let me know what you find. If I'm right, I think I have some ideas on how we can work around this and get those items reconverted without losing any changes you've made since to other items.

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

@bundtkate Sad face, I'm still not getting email notifications. I did for the first response on this thread, but not for any others. I toggled off-and-on all of my email notification settings, maybe that will reset things...

I don't know all of the items that are missing fields (I have 1k+ items), but I confirmed that the ssn's are still missing the numbers in 1p4 when I use it to open my current .opvault. And yes, my .agilekeychain is stale.

Actually, I just found a loooot more that are missing fields. All of the "accounts" fields that were created looks like circa 2012 only have a "notes" field and an "attachments" field, although they should also have a "password" field. I think I remember when I was panicking back when I thought my passwords had evaporated, that I exported my .opvault to plaintext and saw the fields present in there. Just not displayed when in .opvault format. I keep the old .agilekeychain around so that I can recover passwords (and maybe usernames?) for fields that didn't convert and manually update .opvault as needed.

• We've exhausted my tricks, @deargle, but I went whining to Mike for help and he reminded me of an old one. This should hopefully save you some fuss:

1. Open this OPVault in 1Password 4.
    2. Click Preferences and make sure double-click is set to edit your item and not open it in your browser.
    3. Sort by date modified – oldest at the top.
    4. Select the first item in your list, leave your mouse hovering at the top of the list, hit enter to edit, then enter to save.
    5. Click again to select the next item, lather, rinse, repeat until the item at the top of your list shows as having been modified in 2015 or later.

The problem items will all be items that haven't been modified since before 2015. Editing these items fixes them and that's what you're doing, just with as little effort as we can manage. You should be able to see these items update in real-time in 1Password 7 and start showing those missing fields. With any luck, that item it's having trouble reading will be among them and this will resolve that issue as well, but it's worth checking whether that's the case when you're done. :+1:

Give it a go and let me know if it works. 🤞

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member

Sadness, no success. The missing fields did not appear after editing in 1p4, despite the modify-date being updated. I had the .opvault open in 1p4 and 1p7 simultaneously.

Interestingly, I am now up to three, from two, failed to load ItemUrl for item entries in the logs before the lock breaks:

INF:12276  │ 1Password::api:1673            │   302067ms │ detected changes in local vault folder, starting sync in 5 seconds
    WRN:11152  │ 1Password::opvault::backup:201 │   307109ms │ backup "2019-03-06-12-16-52.zip" already created within 24 hours for vault id 1
    WRN:11152  │ 1Password::item_json:179       │   309089ms │ failed to load ItemUrl for item
    WRN:11152  │ 1Password::item_json:179       │   333471ms │ failed to load ItemUrl for item
    WRN:11152  │ 1Password::item_json:179       │   343268ms │ failed to load ItemUrl for item
    INF:11152  │ 1Password::opvault::sync:449   │   351892ms │ Sync 4, actions: 1571, vault: 

So still triggered on every sync. Maybe I can play hot-and-cold with partitions of my .opvault, loading them into 1p7 as separate vaults one at a time, to track down in which partition the offenders lie.

No way was found to log more info to the console about the item that fails, even an ID? I could track down the id in an export maybe.

And I'm still not getting email notifications :-(

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member

An odd observation -- 1p4 > export > csv > all logins, csv contains 665 entries -- but 1p4 only shows 664 :shrug:

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member

Could you share with me the exact, or general, code approach that is trying to parse / load the ItemUrl which is triggering the "Failed to load ItemUrl"? I could try to replicate. On which "types" of items is the code run that is throwing that error -- all? A subset?

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member

Or just the remote_uuids of the offenders, I can extract that from the 1pif file. I see that the uuid is reported in the console in the UpdateLocal command during the sync.

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member

Not sure if I need to notify via at-ing @MikeT @bundtkate

• Hi @deargle,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. We are getting reports that some users are not getting their email notifications, we've reached out to our forum vendor to look into this.

Could you share with me the exact, or general, code approach that is trying to parse / load the ItemUrl which is triggering the "Failed to load ItemUrl"? I could try to replicate. On which "types" of items is the code run that is throwing that error -- all? A subset?

It runs on any items with an URL array, so in this case, it would be your Logins which you already exported. You may be on the right track that it could be that extra item in the export.

I see that the uuid is reported in the console in the UpdateLocal command during the sync.

The app caught an error before the item's UUID could be grabbed and right now, in the current app version, there isn't another way to find it and we haven't had the chance yet to improve our logger to try to pinpoint which file it was reading before it caught the error. We are still planning to add that extra handling but I have no timeframe on when this will be done.

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, it might give us a clue to pinpoint it if we could see how it is syncing.

Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member

@MikeT Just sent the diagnostics report.

• Got it, thanks! We'll reply to your email as soon as we finish analyzing your report.

ref: HYF-96915-841

• deargle
    deargle
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Following up. @MikeT helped me offline troubleshoot. iirc, factors leading to the error were that my agilekeychain had been converted to opvault before some conversion bugfix was introduced. I had a few (three) website logins that did not have any url associated with them. These were the ones that 1password v7 were hanging on. I found these three by exporting my opvault from 1password 4 to whatever the plaintext format is, doing some regexing, and finding url arrays that looked suspicious. Deleted those, emptied trash, problem solved.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the hassle, but glad to hear that helped. Thanks for the update! We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.