Password Editing Tab Opens TOO SLOW

Hi, I have a feedback for 1Password X on Chrome. I use the latest version of Windows, Chrome and 1Password X.

It always takes a VERY long time (up to 10 secs) when I click the "edit" button of the extension before the tab(https://my.1password.com/vaults/******) is finally opened. The extension of LastPass chooses to open a tab which starts with "chrome-extension://" to do the same thing and sync background. This needs no loading and is a very comfortable way! Why don't 1Password X do the same?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.14.2
OS Version: Windows 10 1809
Sync Type: 1Password X

Comments

• Hi @eric_the_red

Could you please elaborate on which part of the operation feels slow? When I tried this on my computer there was maybe about 300-500ms after tapping the edit button before Chrome opened the new tab. Then it took about 1.5 - 2s for the page to load, for a total time from clicking the edit button to being able to edit being about 2.5 - 3s. Even that, admittedly, can feel a bit slow, but it is nowhere near the 10 seconds you report having to wait. I'd like to see if there is something that we may be able to change about your setup right now that would get that closer to the results I'm seeing instead of the results you are seeing. And certainly going forward we can look to improve this further.

Ben

• eric_the_red
    eric_the_red
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. @Ben

10 secs is one of my longest waiting time, and my average time is about 7 secs. There is about 3s after tapping the edit button before Chrome opened the new tab, and it took about 4s for the page to fully load. I think the biggest problem is the 3s part because when 7s increases to 10s only the opening tab part takes more time while the loading time keeps the same.

Eric

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eric_the_red. :)

That behavior doesn't sound right, so I'd like to ask you a few questions before I investigate:

• Do you have a lot of extensions enabled in Chrome?
    • How many tabs do you have open?
    • What happens if you try 1Password in a fresh Chrome profile?
  • eric_the_red
    eric_the_red
    Community Member

@ag_sebastian Thanks for your reply and sorry for answering late.

• I suppose I do have 14 extensions. However, only about six extensions take up some resources, and others can be ignored.
    • Generally, I open 3~5 tabs. In extreme cases, it can be 8~10.
    • However, my laptop has 8G RAM with i7-8650U. Such amount of extensions and tabs should be fine.
    • Recently I found that there is a very slight possibility to have the tab opened the instant I click the "edit" button, although this is very rare.
    • In a fresh profile, the problem doesn't change a bit.
  • dteare
    edited March 2019

Thanks for the update, @eric_the_red. I agree that editing is too slow. I have over 3000 items and I find most of my time is spent waiting for my items to load. For various reasons we wait for the item list to finish loading before showing the edit view and I think we need to revisit those reasons to see if we can change the ordering.

I'm not sure why it takes so long to open a tab but quite frankly the lion's share of the time is spent waiting for the data to load so we should focus our attention there, at least from a development standpoint. I opened an issue to track this issue internally.

One thing that might be an option for you while we improve on the web experience is to use the new Desktop App Integration feature that we're actively working on at the moment. This allows editing to take place in the Desktop App and things have been designed to be a lot snappier. This is currently in the beta release of 1Password for Mac and will be coming to Windows soon.

ref: b5-5692

• eric_the_red
    eric_the_red
    Community Member

@dteare Thanks for your reply.
    I agree with what you said in the first paragraph. Except that the order can be changed, I also strongly suggest the local database be immediately changed (without any loading) by users' instruction, which allows users to use the latest data and continue working without delay, while the sync could be done automatically as a background process. Many users really don't care whether the online database can be updated real-time, but we can't bear to wait too long for the loading.

The reason I uninstalled the Desktop App is that the filling process is less convenient than 1Password X as I hardly fill in my passwords out of Chrome.

I am looking forward to further improvements.

• There's a few technical reasons we can't do exactly what you're suggesting, but in the end that doesn't really matter. What matters most is we're aware of the issue and have some plans to make it much better.

Thanks again for the report.

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.