Search only shows matches with entry name or username and not with other entered data

Hi there,

I recently started using 1Password X and moved over all major entries from my old password manager. When I then tried to search for a value in an entry which is not the main entry name or most predefined data lines, 1Password X doesn't find it (neither the web-app nor the addon).

Here's an example:
Entry X has the username Y and an additional (added by me) data line Z. If I search for X or Y, I'll find that entry, but if I search for Z, I get no match.

Also: When searching for something, there is no x-button to remove the previous search term so that you have to manually click in that field and delete it.

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Pinetrax

Thanks for all the details. I wish I had better news, but 1Password X search isn't yet as robust as we'd like it to be. It will improve over time, but I can't give you any dates when that could happen. In the meantime, our 1Password app should be much better at searching custom fields.

When searching for something, there is no x-button to remove the previous search term so that you have to manually click in that field and delete it.

Am I right to assume you're using Firefox? While the Chrome version of the extension has the x-button, the Firefox version doesn't. There's a shortcut you can use to clear the search field faster.

Mac: Cmd-A to select the search term, Delete to get rid of the query.
    Windows: Ctrl+A to select the search term, Delete to get rid of the query.

• Pinetrax
    Pinetrax
    Community Member

Hi @ag_sebastian,

thank you for the info and no worries, I don't expect it to improve immediately. It's good to know that it's gonna improve. Before posting I compared it to the desktop app, that's why I called it an issue. But since I want to strictly use 1Password X, that's not an option (I love web services and I can use it without restrictions at work).

Am I right to assume you're using Firefox? While the Chrome version of the extension has the x-button, the Firefox version doesn't.

You're right, I'm using Firefox. It fascinates me, that even the website has an x-button in Chrome but not in firefox. But oh well, I can deal with that.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your understanding, @Pinetrax. I'm a fan of 1Password X myself, and I look forward to seeing search improvements. :)

You're right, I'm using Firefox. It fascinates me, that even the website has an x-button in Chrome but not in firefox. But oh well, I can deal with that.

I asked about this a few months ago, but I can't remember or find the exact answer anywhere. I've asked the development team again, but if memory serves me right, Firefox has certain restrictions which prevent us from putting a close button there. I'll edit this post when I get a proper answer. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.