1Password not recognizing 1Password.agilekeychain

zendao
zendao
Community Member

Is 1Password solely subscription based now? I have been using the free version for a few years. I am transitioning from Mac OS X El Capitan to High Sierra. I am trying to run 1Password under High Sierra and it is not recognizing the datafile. It is looking for the 1Passowrd data file with the extension opvault. But I only see 1Password.agilekeychain on DropBox.

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (689001)
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is 1Password solely subscription based now?

@zendao: No. Licenses are also available:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

I have been using the free version for a few years.

While we do offer the mobile apps as a free download with an in-app purchase, there is not and never has been a free version of 1Password for Mac.

I am transitioning from Mac OS X El Capitan to High Sierra. I am trying to run 1Password under High Sierra and it is not recognizing the datafile. It is looking for the 1Passowrd data file with the extension opvault. But I only see 1Password.agilekeychain on DropBox.

Correct. 1Password 7 uses OPVault. Once you setup the app, you can import your existing data into your new vault by using File > Import > 1Password Keychain and selecting the old .agilekeychain though. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• zendao
    zendao
    Community Member

My apologize. I totally forgot that I purchased this software a while back. (Hard to keep track of all the utilities and plug-ins that are paid and free over time.). Under Mac OS X High Sierra and after downloading and installing the app, I first ran 1Password (version 7) and it ask me to locate the data file (e.g. DropBox, iCloud, etc.) It would not let me do anything else. It would not allow me to access the File menu to access the Import option you mentioned. 1Password would quit and then relaunch itself a few minutes later with the same window asking me to locate the data file. Am I overlooking something?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zendao - I'm not quite sure what may have happened, between the upgrading of macOS and also 1Password, but it sounds as if you may want to try creating a new Primary vault, then using File > Import to get your data into the new 1Password 7 for Mac app. From there, you can then turn Dropbox syncing back on, and 1Password will write out an OPVault. Just make sure you switch over any other instances of 1Password running on other devices to use the new OPVault file as well, or you'll have some devices syncing with the newer OPVault and others syncing with older Agile Keychain.

At the main 1Password screen, do not select Dropbox, instead, click "More Options" and then "Create Standalone Vault" in the drop-down, as shown here:

• zendao
    zendao
    Community Member

Thank you everyone for responding. I am going to give it another try. I still have other devices that use 1Password.agilekeychain that I need to upgrade the app. When I import the data into 1 Password 7 to create the new opvault will the old data file remain or be deleted?

Also, up to which version of 1Password will read only the old vault format (1Password.agilekeychain )?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zendao - it will remain, and other devices that are still using the Agile Keychain will continue merrily along in the same way (not good), unless you change them over. The best way to do that is by just turning sync OFF on each of these devices, then turning it back on again and making sure to use the OPVault file instead of the Agile Keychain. When all devices have been switched to the OPVault, you can open your Dropbox folder on your Mac, and either trash the Agile Keychain, or drag it out to another location if you want to keep it.

• zendao
    zendao
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

It looks like when you install version 7 of 1Password, it starts off in trial mode unless you purchase a membership, correct?

I also found online that one could buy a license instead of a membership. Is it possible to do this without waiting for the trial period to end?

What’s the differences in features or perks between the license and membership options aside from the cost?

One other thing... if I decided to stay with version 6 a little longer, is there a way to install the correct mini app version for Safari. I had to do a reinstall. When I tried to download the browser plug in for Safari from the Agile Solutions website it takes me to the Apple page then the Apps Store. The only option is the Safari plug in for version 7.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@zendao

Yes, we offer our membership customers 30 days of free trial so you can try 1Password.com before activating a subscription.

You can also buy a license whenever you want, provided you download 1Password 7 from our website (the Mac App Store version only supports 1Password Memberships). However, I would strongly advise you to choose a 1Password memberships. It has been a far more popular choice and from the feedback we get, people prefer the ease that having a 1Password membership comes with (when it comes to things like managing backups, syncing, multi-device management etc.).You also don't need to think about managing and applying licenses ;)

Basically, everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individuals membership later on... The list goes on and on.

One other thing... if I decided to stay with version 6 a little longer, is there a way to install the correct mini app version for Safari. I had to do a reinstall. When I tried to download the browser plug in for Safari from the Agile Solutions website it takes me to the Apple page then the Apps Store. The only option is the Safari plug in for version 7.

Have you tried installing the extension from there already? It should be the correct version for you, because 1Password 7 comes with an extension already built it so you don't have to install anything manually.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@zendao: The old Safari extension used by 1Password 6 can be found in Apple's gallery currently:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

But they've said they'll be shutting that down and removing support for those this year.

• zendao
    zendao
    Community Member

So what happens when I decide to cancel the membership after the year? What kind of functionality will I still have with 1Password version 7?

Also, I understand what comes with the membership based on the previous response. But if I decide to purchase a license instead, what does that grant me?

Lastly, I went to the Apple webpage and the link there sent me to the Agile Solution website. If I click on the link for the Safari browser plug in for version 6 it eventually leads me to the download for 1Password version 7. Is the plug in that comes with version 7 compatible with 1Password 6?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zendao: Ah, great question! Without an active membership, the account will be "frozen", which just means the data will be read-only so you can export it; we don't want to lock anyone out of their data. :)

A license, on the other hand, is for a specific version of 1Password -- for example, 1Password for Mac version 7. That includes all minor updates -- e.g. 7.2, etc. It never expires, but any other version would be a completely separate purchase, and you'd need to sync your own data.

Regarding Safari, as I mentioned above, you'd need to use the old Safari extension in 1Password 6 that I linked to, but that is only a short-term solution. Once that is killed completely, it will no longer be available at all. Then you'd need to use a different browser that's compatible with 1Password 6, or upgrade to the current version of 1Password for compatibility with current browsers. 1Password 7 uses a Safari App Extension, which is built into the app. It cannot be transplanted and would not work with 1Password 6, as it doesn't have the technology required.

This discussion has been closed.