Intermittent 1Password 6 Safari extension issue

scottishwildcat
scottishwildcat
Community Member

I'm still using v6.8.9 (689001, AgileBits Store) on all of my Macs, all of which are running High Sierra (10.13.6).

The 1Password browser extension works fine in all browsers on all Macs, except in Safari 12.0.3 (13606.4.5.3.1) on one of my laptops. There, the extension (v4.7.3) will intermittently fail to activate when I click the toolbar button or press Cmd-/, and will open the 1Password Mini menu instead.

Often, I can get it to work again simply by disabling, then re-enabling the extension in Safari preferences. Sometimes a page reload is also required, but sometimes that's not sufficient either and I have to restart Safari.

I used to have the app installed in a subfolder of /Applications (where I prefer all my non-Apple apps to live). I've since reinstalled it to /Applications in case there was any sandboxing strangeness going on, but that hasn't made any difference.

I've tried disabling all other Safari extensions in case there was some weird interaction going on, but that hasn't helped either.

Anything else I should try?

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (689001, AgileBits Store)
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @scottishwildcat!

There, the extension (v4.7.3) will intermittently fail to activate when I click the toolbar button or press Cmd-/, and will open the 1Password Mini menu instead.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "fail to activate"? Does the extension disappear from your browser completely until you activate it again, or is it still there but not clickable? Or perhaps something else?

Thank you!

• scottishwildcat
    scottishwildcat
    Community Member

@ag_ana By "fails to activate" I mean the Safari extension toolbar remains visible and clickable, but no popup appears when I click it. And if I use the Cmd-\ shortcut, the 1Password Mini menu appears from the menu bar instead.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottishwildcat - please try disabling and deleting the 1Password extension for Safari. Then restart Safari and re-install it. You can get the extension at the Safari Extensions Gallery.

• scottishwildcat
    scottishwildcat
    Community Member

Thanks, have tried that before but giving it another go. Working for now as expected, will let you know if/when it stops again...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottishwildcat - sounds good. :)

• scottishwildcat
    scottishwildcat
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

@Lars Didn't last long -- it's stopped working again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottishwildcat - sorry to hear that; that's definitely not normal behavior. What do you have in the way of anti-virus software or local proxies/network filters that might interfere with or monitor loopback (localhost)?

• scottishwildcat
    scottishwildcat
    Community Member

@Lars I do have McAfee Endpoint Security running (Firewall and Web Control), which is unfortunately mandated by my employer so I can't change the settings. However, I also have that running on my other MacBook Pro, same versions of everything, and 1Password works fine on that one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottishwildcat - are the settings identical between the two? Are they always used in the same network environment? There's no reason why one of your setups should work and the other not work, if everything is literally identical. I'd consider re-installing 1Password, potentially, if you're certain everything is 100% identical between the two Macs.

I did want to mention one other thing in this particular situation, however, and that's that there have been some HUGE changes made by Apple in Safari 12 (which you said you're running on your Macs). The main one is the formal retirement of the .safariextz style of extension we had all grown accustomed to using, and the release of the new Safari App Exension format. The difference is that the new format is actually part of the main app (single-process architecture), and uses Native Messaging. macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) ships with Safari 12, but for those still on Sierra or High Sierra, version 12 is still an optional install. For the moment, Apple will still allow users to install the older-style extension into Safari 12, but they've already said they plan to shutter the Safari Extensions Gallery, which will effectively make it impossible to use older extensions.Version 7 of 1Password for Mac includes the new SAE extension, but version 6 which you're using does not and never will, since it's in legacy mode after the release of 1Password 7 for Mac.

In other words, the time you have to continue with the setup you're using is limited by whenever Apple decides to flip the switch on disallowing .safariextz extensions. We don't have any insight into when that will be specifically, but I'd bet sooner rather than later. It might be time to think about upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac to see whether using the extension that's built for Safari 12 (and future releases) helps solve this issue. We've got standalone licenses for sale if you want those ($49.99 at current "launch special" pricing), but my recommendation would be a 1password.com membership. That will give you not only all the benefits of the 1password.com service but also all four of our 1Password apps including all future upgrades, for as long as you maintain the membership. You can sign up for a 30-day free trial at https://1password.com/sign-up/ and that will allow you to download and use 1Password 7 for Mac at no additional charge.

• scottishwildcat
    scottishwildcat
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Thanks. I'm as certain as I can be that everything is identical...in particular, the McAfee settings certainly are, as they're coming from the same ePO server. It looks like that's certainly the issue, though -- after further investigation, on the problem laptop, the extension only works when I temporarily disable the McAfee Firewall. On the other, it still works fine even when the Firewall is on.

I'm aware of the extension changes -- I have an extension in the gallery myself :) I've no interest in upgrading at this time though... I won't be updating past Mojave anyway, and quite possibly not past High Sierra. I still use far too many 32-bit apps and games that will never be updated!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottishwildcat - thanks for the update, I'm glad you were able to narrow things down. I'm not certain what might account for the discrepancy, but you'd better positioned to work with the McAfee settings than I am; that's an application I don't have any particular expertise in troubleshooting. I just know where to look for the types of programs that can interfere with 1Password. Let us know what you discover! :)

This discussion has been closed.