"Regenerate Secret Key" does not update the "1Password Account" entry correctly

Hi there,

I regenerated my secret key using abovementioned button, but found that the accompanying field in the "1Password Account" entry in my vault is not updated correctly (it still holds the previous secret key). Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something?

For other accounts, I had some success in changing things (user names, for example) by forcing the login prompt, changing the user name and searching the option for updating the 1Password entry in the 1P orb beneath the login. However, I cannot seem to force a login for 1P that also requests a secret key so I could update things properly.

I guess I have multiple questions:

1. Is the way I change entries in the database the idiomatic way? 1Password X does not seem to allow me to edit entries directly. Why?
  2. Why did it request the secret key again anyway? This was on a device that was authenticated previously.
  3. How can I make 1Password X store the regenerated secret properly instead of auto-filling the old one?

I am on Chromium 73.0.3683.75, with 1Password X version 1.14.2.

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.14.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blergh: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there! 1Password never automatically modifies user data. Login save/update prompts are intended for passwords, and the Secret Key is a bit different. You would need to save the new Secret Key in your vault if you want it there -- just like making a change to a website login, credit card, etc.

Continuing, I'm not sure what you mean by "Is the way I change entries in the database the idiomatic way?" But 1Password X does not have editing capabilities at all. When you click Edit, that just opens the browser-based 1Password web interface to make changes.

To clarify, the Secret Key is needed along with the Master Password to access the account and decrypt the data, so that's why you need to enter the new one after changing it.

As far as filling the Secret Key, that's not something that's currently supported, as it's intended to be entered only the first time you sign in on the device. But you could also update it in the "web form details" section of the login item in the 1Password desktop app if desired.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

As far as filling the Secret Key, that's not something that's currently supported, as it's intended to be entered only the first time you sign in on the device. But you could also update it in the "web form details" section of the login item in the 1Password desktop app if desired.

Hi @brenty, are you sure about this? For me, it autofills with 1Password X, with the desktop App and with the iOS Browser extentions without me ever having changed the entry that was created automatically at account creation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@peacekeeper: Possible, in some cases, but not supported. :) We've made changes to the default Login item over time.

• blergh
    blergh
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for your response! As per editing, I overlooked the Edit button and only edited when greeted with the corresponding Login form. This also resolves the issue of updating the secret key (albeit it's a bit counterintuitive that 1P X would not do that on its own upon regenerating a secret key).

I can also confirm @peacekeeper's experience -- for some reason, I was once again faced with a login prompt for 1P requesting all account details (master key and secret key), and this is where 1Password X filled the old secret key automatically.

One more question, what causes a previously authorized device to request the secret key again on login? If I think about travelling, I'd like to avoid taking the secret key with me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blergh: I can certainly see your perspective. Perhaps in the future we can have 1Password offer to update it, as this is a special case. But as a general rule I think it's good that 1Password doesn't change stuff without telling you. :)

Regarding the Secret Key being required, that will only happen when authorization is necessary -- either when you have never signed into the account there before, or you have removed all traces of it (by resetting the app, clearing browser data, etc.)

Personally, I don't take the Secret Key with me either. It's always going to be available in 1Password on any devices I have already authorized, and leaving it with someone I trust means it's just a phone call away in case of an emergency. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.