Copy iOS Backup to Windows

Jan007
Jan007
Community Member
edited March 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

So far I only use 1password on my Ipad. I only store the data on the Ipad, cloud services or similar services are strictly prohibited by my employer. I store the Tresor manually on my local PC via the backup function. I use the iTunes file sharing option. The file is always called "1Password 2019-03-13 XXXXXXXXX.1p4_zip".

Now I want to use this backup also in the Windows 1Password program (v7.3.657). I use this manual: https://support.1password.com/backups/

The folder is called 1Password.opvault and the file "OnePassword.sqlite" (unpacked). Also I tried "1Password 2019-03-13 XXXXXXXXX.1p4_zip" (packed).

After clicking on "Sync using folder" and specifying the correct folder, I have to enter the vault password. I definitely enter the correct password, but the message that the password is wrong still appears. I checked the password several times, caps lock etc. is correct. I also changed the Master Password of the Vault using the Ipad. A password only with letters and numbers. The program also says that the password is wrong.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.2.7 (iOS) and 7.3.657 (Windows)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.4
Sync Type: manual

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jan007,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password!

I am afraid you won't be able to restore your iOS backup on Windows: the backup files that 1Password for iOS creates were only designed to be restored to 1Password for iOS.

If all of the cloud services are 100% prohibited, I have a possible workaround in mind, but please confirm. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Jan007
    Jan007
    Community Member

Yes, I can't use cloud service. If there is still a solution, I would be happy.

• bundtkate
    edited March 2019

I'm going to go ahead and nudge, @Greg here just because I'm not totally certain what he had in mind here and he may have a simpler solution than me when he's back tomorrow, but I do have an idea of my own as well. Are you universally unable to use a cloud service, @Jan007 or are you only subject to that limitation on your PC? I'm not personally aware of any way to get 1Password data from iOS to Windows without at least using a cloud service on the iOS device, but again Greg may be thinking of something I'm not. And, of course, if you're able to use a service like Dropbox just on iOS, what we can do is sync your iOS vault to Dropbox, then download the vault folder from Dropbox and save it locally on your PC without installing the Dropbox app. Again, though, this would only be an option if you're able to sync this data to Dropbox on your iOS device. If you're totally prohibited from putting your data on a cloud service at all, let me know and I'll see what other options we have available.

• Jan007
    Jan007
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your answer. But I am not allowed to store passwords on a foreign server or cloud service. It doesn't matter whether the passwords are encrypted or not. I have signed up for it and stick to it.

iOS Cloud is also forbidden and has been deactivated by our admins.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jan007,

Thank you for the additional info! I discussed your situation with my team and I am afraid you won't be able to get your data to 1Password on your Windows PC without syncing it via one of the available sync options.

I wish I had other news for you, but I don't. The backups from 1Password for iOS are meant to be restored on iOS only.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, we are always here for you. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jan007: But just to clarify, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. So if you'd be able to transfer the data, there isn't any risk involved in doing that, in case that helps.

This discussion has been closed.