Windows installer for multi user environment (Windows RDS 2012R2)

Options

Hi All,

We are trying to install the windows client in a WIndows 2012R2 multi user environment, the main hassle is that the app is using %localappdata%.

Is there any solution to deploy 1password in a multi user environment?

Thanks, Sven

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SvenPost
    SvenPost
    Community Member
    Options

Nobody ever tried this?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SvenPost,

Thank you for getting in touch!

1Password should work fine on Terminal Server with a typical configuration, but if you clear the user data per session, the settings will be gone.

Am I right to understand the difficulties that you bumped into? Do you clear out local user data by default or use roaming profiles for you users? Also, please tell me more about what functionality your users on RDS need? Are they dealing primarily with things in their browser (web apps and the like) or are there native apps they'll frequently sign in to as well? If most of their work happens in their browsers we may have an alternative now that will work better for you.

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• SvenPost
    SvenPost
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Thanks for the reply Greg,

I tried to install the 1password windows plugin, but it appears that this is installed under the %localappdata% for Administrator.

We have a set up with microsoft UPD', the goal is for multiple users to be able to login to the windows client.

Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SvenPost,

Could you please specify what do you mean by "1Password Windows plugin"? Do your users deal primarily with things in their browser? By the way, which browser do they use on your side?

Please let me know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• SvenPost
    SvenPost
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

https://1password.com/downloads/windows

Our client prefers using this install over the browser plugin.

Thanks, Sven!

• 1Password needs to be installed per-user, @SvenPost. How the desktop app works is that each user has their own local database that contains their 1Password data. This is what allows them to unlock with just their Master Password. This necessitates a user-segregated location. I'm not terribly familiar with User Profile Disks, but if you install 1Password for each user on the RDP machine, it should work fine out of the box – it will install in %LOCALAPPDATA% for the signed-in user unless you run the installer as admin (don't do that). Is this something that would work for your client, or do they have concerns about using %LOCALAPPDATA% generally?

This discussion has been closed.