Possible to switch between family members in 1Password X

Hey all,

I have recently subscribed to the 1Password family plan, and have created my 1Password account without any issue. I've also added some family members using the People function in the 1Password account management page online. My question is, when using the 1Password X browser extension, is it possible to switch between the various people – and therefore their personal vaults – within the 1Password family plan account?

I know it is possible to add multiple accounts to the 1Password X extension, and then to simply switch between them by locking the extension and entering the appropriate Master Password for the desired account. But is that also possible between users under the same family account? So far, the only way I have found to make it work is to head into the 1Password X settings page, remove the account, and then re-add it using the desired person's email, secret key, and Master Password for their vault under the one family plan account. It is a bit of a workaround, but if this is intentional, I could see it working.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.14.1
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:switch between family members

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Diogones! While it's possible to add multiple accounts to 1Password X, the setup prevents you from adding multiple accounts from the same 1Password Families account -- as it sounds like you've already discovered. You could do it the way you've suggested, by removing the first person's account from 1Password X, then adding the second person's...but I have to ask why you'd want to do such a thing, and whether there might be an easier/better way to accomplish what your real goal is? This seems like a very cumbersome thing to have to do each and every time you want to have a different person use their account in 1Password X. An easier way to do it would be to have two different browsers - like Chrome and Firefox, for example, or even Chrome and Brave or Chrome and Vivaldi -- because then the two would be separated by default and you could just open the other browser and have the other person sign in -- or even have the two of them open at the same time, if that doesn't bother you, with just a Master Password instead of having to laboriously delete and re-add the entire account each time. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way...but that sounds much easier to me than what you've described.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

It's also worth considering Chrome profiles (Share Chrome with others or add a profile) if you're averse to each person having an individual macOS user account. Part of the reason we haven't designed any of the 1Password clients with multi-user support is because all current operating systems offer much better tools.

• Diogones
    Diogones
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks for the warm welcome Lars! I agree with you 100%: I definitely wouldn't want to constantly have to remove the account and add another in the extension, I was just mentioning that was the only way I found for it to work. I was just asking if there was an easier way, which you pointed out I could do by using two separate browsers with each family member added to the separate browser extensions.

I was just curious since if multiple family members were using the same computer and wanted to switch between their 1Password accounts in the X extension on the fly to access their respective vaults, they wouldn't be able to do so. They'd either have to:
    1. Keep two separate browsers open like Lars suggested,
    2. Have two or more user accounts on the computer,
    3. Or have multiple browser profiles, as littlebobbytales suggested.

Nothing wrong with any of those solutions, and as 1Password team members have pointed out in similar threads, this is all part of the 1Password philosophy of having one password, and keeping vaults amongst users as separate as possible.

So to recap what I discovered and Lars confirmed, it IS possible to swap between accounts on the fly in the 1Password X extension, but just not between family members within the same account. I don't mind that at all, I was just asking if it was possible.

• Understood. Thanks for the update @Diogones. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.