Lost master password to family account

alkaiser77
alkaiser77
Community Member

I've lost the master password to the main account on a family plan. My dad can login still, but is not an owner/admin to the account. Is there any way for him to still reset my account? I do not mind losing the passwords in the vaults on my account, if this will make it possible. I also don't mind deleting my account and making my dad the main account owner.

However, if there are no other options and the only way forward is to delete the entire family account, how do we go about this? I still have many months left on our subscription. Can we create new accounts on the same email addresses and transfer the subscription over? Also, is there any way to migrate my dad's data over to the new account, since he still has full access to his account and master password? Let me know, thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alkaiser77! Welcome to the forum!

I am sorry to hear about this. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts with another admin in the account. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password.

However, if there are no other options and the only way forward is to delete the entire family account, how do we go about this?

We can send you a deletion link via email, so please let us know if you would like us to do that.

I still have many months left on our subscription. Can we create new accounts on the same email addresses and transfer the subscription over?

Yes, we can manually transfer any remaining subscription credit to a new account, so don't worry about that :)

Also, is there any way to migrate my dad's data over to the new account, since he still has full access to his account and master password?

Yes, you have two options to do that:

1. You can create a new account right now, with a different email address, add both to the app at the same time and move data from one to the other
    2. You can make a backup of your data, delete your account, create a new one and import the data you backed up

I hope this helps!

• alkaiser77
    alkaiser77
    Community Member

@ag_ana, thanks for the fast response! Sure, let's proceed with deleting the account and transferring the subscription over.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alkaiser77 Great! I see that you have emailed us already, so let's continue the conversation there. I will get back to you as soon as possible :)

This discussion has been closed.