1Password not working after moving to new computer

I just got a new computer ({PC, Windows 10) and found that the browser extension in Chrome is no longer working. I own the license for 1password 4 and it worked fine on my old computer (also Windows 10). I have tried a few things to try and get it to work but they've all failed.

-most current extension and 1Password verions available works but doesn't acknowledge that I have a license. I have tried copying the license file over from my old computer but no luck

-current extension and 1Password 4, won't give the option for unlock at all

-extension version 3.9 (same as the one on my old computer), gives me the prompt to enter the password but then is "Connecting" indefinitely. I took a screenshot of the errors that are listed by Chrome

Is there a way to fix this? It was working fine on my old PC so I don't see why it can't on my current one.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ollyoxenfree: Unless I am misunderstanding, it sounds like you somehow have an incredibly old extension that hasn't worked in Chrome releases going back years. Can you tell me the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions on the new computer as well as the old one? That will help me understand what's going on there.

• ollyoxenfree
    ollyoxenfree
    Community Member

Old computer
    Windows 10
    1Password 4
    Chrome 72.0.3626.121 (64 bit)
    Extension version 3.9.21.90
    -works fine

New computer (set up 1)
    Windows 10
    1Password 4
    Chrome 73.0.3683.75 (64 bit)
    Extension 3.9.20.99
    -can enter master password but is "Connecting" indefinitely. Errors screenshot above are listed

.New computer (set up 2)
    Windows 10
    1Password 7
    Extension 4.7.3.90
    -works but not licensed so Read Only

.New computer (set up 3)
    Windows 10
    1Password 4
    Extension 4.7.3.90
    -nothing happens when I click on the extension

I tried an old version of Chrome (72), but the results were the same.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@ollyoxenfree: Thanks for clarifying. Honestly, I have no idea how the version 3 extension would work in Chrome 72. Google changed their requirements for extensions long ago, and I don't know of anyone who's gotten it to work since then. We also dropped support for that later on in 1Password 4 itself, in favour of the version 4 extension. More recently though, Chrome changed its signature on Windows so that the old 1Password apps won't even recognize it there. So while I'm curious about what's going on in your case*, ultimately you'd need to do one of the following:

Either one of those will work.

*You didn't actually tell me any version numbers for the 1Password _app_, so I wonder if you've got an even older version on the old PC that is connecting the the version 3 extension...

• ollyoxenfree
    ollyoxenfree
    Community Member

My old license for 1Password 4 won't work on the most current version, right? So I'd need to buy a new one? Looks like Firefox is my new browser of choice then...

I remember I had two program folders for 1Password, one was just "1Password" and the other was "1Password 4." The old unit is unplugged from peripherals now but I peeked at the backup I made of my old computer's download folder, and based on that I had 1.0.9.332 and 4.3.0.556. I almost never used the app, just the extension so I'm not sure which one was connected. Probably 4, since that's where I pulled my vault info from.

The extension did have a red dot error on it, but it still worked perfectly fine so I just ignored it. To be honest I probably downloaded the app and the extension at the same time and then never updated either ever again. I guess it grandfathered in somehow.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ollyoxenfree,

Yes, 1Password 7 for Windows is a paid upgrade for the owners of 1Password 4.

It sounds like your version of 1Password 4 is outdated too. The latest version is 4.6.2.626. I would, however, recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password.com accounts:

About 1Password membership

This way you will be able to use the latest versions of 1Password on all of your devices. And for security reasons it is important to stay up to date with your software.

Let us know if you have any other questions, we are always here for you. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.