Upgrading computer from OSX El Capitan with 1password6 -> Mojave

Options
lordj
lordj
Community Member

Hello,

I am trying to move my 1password data from El Capitan to Mojave. I believe I am using 1password6 on the old machine but it has both my personal (license) vault and a work subscription. What is the best way to do this? Do i have to run 1password7 on the new mac running mojave? Is it possible to import the vault from 6 -> 7 using a usb? I don't use the cloud to transfer passwords. So it would either be cloning from a backup or moving with a usb. I also sync my personal vault with my phone. Please advise on the cleanest way to do this.

I currently have not installed 1password on the new mac.

Thank you in advance.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.6 -> 10.14.3
Sync Type: usb or phone or from backup
Referrer: forum-search:Transfer from older mac to newer

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lordj,

Your work subscription would give you access to 1Password 7 for Mac. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. Does your company have a 1Password Business membership? If so that would give you a complementary 1Password Families membership for home, which would be the ideal situation. You can read more about that here:

Link a family account to your business account

Failing that the recommendation would be to sync your personal 1Password data between the old computer and new:

Sync your 1Password data

I also sync my personal vault with my phone.

Since you're already syncing with your phone, if you are not going to go the membership route, it would likely make the most sense to set up the new computer using the same sync method you're already using with the phone.

Is it possible to import the vault from 6 -> 7 using a usb?

That may be technically possible, but would not be the recommended solution here, and isn't something we have instructions on hand for. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.