Good Family Strategy for my Use Case

WilsonL
WilsonL
Community Member

I currently handle password management in a non-shared spreadsheet with manual communication of additions and changes. I handle all finances for our empty-nester family. Issues are weak and duplicate passwords and gaps with manual communications.

I have completed setup for myself in 1Password Families across OS X, Windows, and iOS, and am pleased with the capability and functionality of the programs.

I have now added my wife and set her up as a Family Organizer for recovery purposes. I have managed all of her passwords in the past, but really only need access to her financial ones (e.g., credit card, payroll stubs, bank accounts, etc.). She has her own MacBook, iPhone, iPad, and has a user account on my MacBook, but mostly just uses her iPhone and iPad. We both need to add or update her financial accounts, and both need access to them. She alone will add or update her other ones. I think my setup strategy should be:

1. Create a new shared vault for the two of us that we both can manage. Saving the default shared vault for all family access when I eventually add our two daughters.
  2. Set my wife to add to the new shared vault. She can later move entries into her private vault that I don't need (e.g., mail, facebook, etc.).
  3. I will continue to add to my private vault and move any items to the new shared vault she needs access to.

Does this sound like the right approach? What am I missing? Is there a simpler way to achieve the desired capability?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.BETA-3 (70300003) AgileBit
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

Does this sound like the right approach? What am I missing? Is there a simpler way to achieve the desired capability?

Yes, that is how I approched it as well, only that my wife had her own passwords in the Safari Keychain before. We have a shared vault with currently 0 entries, one vault for the both of us and since my parents use it as well we will eventually have a shared vault for my parents as well.

• Hi @WilsonL

I agree with peacekeeper. I think you've got it pretty well sorted out. Glad to hear you thought to add your wife as an organizer for recovery purposes. I'd like to see us do better about prompting folks to do that, as it is so important!

If you have any further question please feel free to ask.

Ben

• WilsonL
    WilsonL
    Community Member

Thanks for your comments peacekeeper and Ben.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for choosing 1Password! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.