1P does not ask to save login when using the password generator

Options
olifant
olifant
Community Member

So I noticed that ever since I switched to 1P 7 that my browser no longer asks to store a newly registered account, if I use the password generator. If I enter my own password 1P does ask me to store the new login.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Go to any website to register a new account. For example this forum
2. Click on the 1P button in your browser
3. Click on the password generator button
4. Click on fill, so it will fill-in the generated password for you
5. Complete the registration
6. I expect a popup, asking me if I want to save the login, but nothing appears. It does store the generated password (which you can convert to a login), but then it won't store your username

Now, register for a second account but this time just enter a password manually. Now the pop-up asking you to store the login does appear.

I completely reinstalled 1P and also checked with a friend, who experiences the same behaviour. We are all running the latest version of the app and the extensions and have tried different browsers.

Is this a known issue?

1Password Version: 7.2.5 (70205004)
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: macOS 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @olifant! I'm sorry for the trouble. That is indeed an unfortunate current issue. We hope to have it addressed in an upcoming release, but for now, the solution for end-users like yourself who have run into the issue would be to make sure to not fill the generated password but instead copy it to the clipboard and paste it in yourself. This will trigger the saving/filling logic that will offer to save the item as a Login (not just a password). Sorry for the inconvenience.

• olifant
    olifant
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars, do you have a time estimation on when this will be fixed? I only expect one thing from a password manager: that it can generate and store passwords for me, and currently 1P is not providing this (in my opinion) core functionality. In my recollection this issue exists since the introduction of 1P 7 (so roughly a year).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@olifant - we don't normally pre-announce release dates for new versions or fixes as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned. 😀

That said, I suspect it will not be much longer. I fully agree with you that generating and storing passwords is indeed a core functionality of 1Password or any password manager, and I do apologize for the bug and the inconvenient workaround -- and thank you for your patience as we work on this. To be clear, however, currently 1Password 7 for Mac can generate passwords, and every generated password is indeed saved. And 1Password 7 for Mac will also offer to save all Login items except those few which for whatever site-specific reason don't work well with password managers OR Logins using a generated password. However, since the password item is always saved in 1Password for Mac, it can still be saved by the method I mentioned above of pasting instead of auto-filling; no one is at risk of generating a password that is not saved.

This discussion has been closed.