Auto-suggestion for tags - you are not helping

DKroot
DKroot
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Auto-suggestion using dictionary is distracting to the point of making the whole system unusable. It's very hard to use lower case tags. As an example: try to tag with "change-pwd". Now, try to tag another item with "change-pwd". Unless you use copy-and-paste, you'd end up with "Change-pwd" which is considered a different tag.

Most of tagging systems that I saw auto-suggest from the list of *already used* tags which makes much more sense.

Could you consider removing dictionary suggestions or at least making it optional, please?

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    DK, which version of 1Password are you running? I've seen this reported before, but I am not sure of the cause or the solution. I'll consult the rest of the team and we'll get an answer for you. 1Password, when working as it should, works exactly the way you'd expect: it *does* suggest only the tags you've already used.

In any case, sorry for the trouble. We'll try to get this sorted out for you soon.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    DK, what version of Mac OS X are you using?

(I'm on Leopard, and I see the same thing you describe in the current version of 1Password.)
  • DKroot
    DKroot
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm using 3.1.0 on Leopard 10.5.8. So, I understand that 1Password normally does not display dictionary auto-suggest.
    This is bizarre. What should I check?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    DK, this is absolutely conjecture, but the fact that you and I are seeing this on Leopard, while others are not seeing it on Snow Leopard, suggests (to me, anyway) that the system routines used by 1Password to populate the "auto-suggestion" list behave differently on Leopard and Snow Leopard.

If that's the case, we Leopards have one more incentive to consider becoming Snow Leopards. :)
  • IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'd like to second DKroot's request.

The auto-complete functionality when entering tags is not helpful. I like to use all lowercase tags, and the system forces me to use capitalized ones.

As DKroot pointed out, tags seem to be case sensitive, so "work" is different from "Work".

Also, I'd like to request that the auto-complete feature only suggest tags I've already used, not a whole laundry list of dictionary words, 99.99% of which are not relevant to me.

I am using 3.2.2 on OS 10.5.8. Thanks for your consideration!
  • DKroot
    DKroot
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I got a new laptop with Snow Leopard (running 10.6.4) and the problem is no longer happening. So, it might be indeed a Leopard-specific issue.
  • IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update, DK. What happens instead? Is there no auto-suggest, or is there auto-suggest, but only showing tags you've already used?
  • DKroot
    DKroot
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    It is working correctly, that is, auto-suggest shows existing tags
  • IntlOrange
    IntlOrange
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Super, thanks. Good to know.

Agile folks, I wonder if you could fix this to work for 10.5 users? If not, I will upgrade eventually... Thanks.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    IntlOrange wrote:
    Super, thanks. Good to know.

Agile folks, I wonder if you could fix this to work for 10.5 users? If not, I will upgrade eventually... Thanks.

Obviously, Apple wants you to upgrade. But you might want to see the post I just made in this thread.
This discussion has been closed.