Local and Cloud vaults

thanirs
thanirs
Community Member
edited March 2019 in Lounge

My wife and I have been using browser-based password managers but this doesn't always work because we use different browsers for several reasons (one being we sometimes use the same computer at home). In any case I am considering 1Password but I am not comfortable storing credentials for important accounts (bank accounts for example) in the cloud. If I want to maintain two separate vaults (local vault for some and cloud vault for everything else), what are my options / what would you recommend? Use two different accounts? Use standalone client for local vault and 1Password.com for everything else? Thanks

1Password Version: NA
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @thanirs

We don't typically recommend "local" (standalone) vaults anymore, so before we go down that road I'd like to talk about this a little more:

I am not comfortable storing credentials for important accounts (bank accounts for example) in the cloud.

I would highly suggest taking a look at our guide that explains our approach to securing your data with 1Password membership:

About the 1Password security model

The thousand foot overview is that your 1Password data is encrypted using both your Master Password and your Secret Key, both of which are known only by you, before the data is sent to 1Password.com. This is called "end-to-end" encryption. Because only you have the keys only you can decrypt your data. No one at 1Password ever has your keys, which is why we can't reset passwords or provide a "forgot your password?" link. We can't lose / misuse / have stolen from us something that we don't have.

If you're interested in the technical details of how and why we're different from most other online services you might use we have a white paper outlining this here:

1Password Security Design White Paper

If you have questions about this please let me know.

Ben

• thanirs
    thanirs
    Community Member

Hi @Ben thanks for your reply. So are local (standalone) vaults going away?

• It would be inappropriate for me to speculate on that. What I can say is that we haven't advertised standalone licenses in quite some time. We've continued to make them available to those who ask for them, but certainly 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is where our attention is going to be focused. We don't recommend those with a membership use standalone vaults.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.