upgraded to 1P 7, sync not working

Options
zshipps
zshipps
Community Member

Been using 1P with Dropbox for many years, never had an issue. I cannot find any menu option in the new desktop app about "sync" and how to control it / where it's syncing etc. I have a monthly membership. My phone and computer are now out of sync. Can't find a topic here that specifcally addresses my issue. Help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @zshipps

I'm sorry for any confusion. 1Password membership is the sync service. :) It doesn't use any 3rd party tools like Dropbox. Can you please verify that all of your devices are signed into the same membership account and that none of them have a vault called "Primary?"

Thanks.

Ben

• zshipps
    zshipps
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

yes there is a vault called "Primary" on my phone. But there is also a "Personal" vault.... confusing. Please advise.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

The primary vault is a local vault, that only exists on your device and does not sync. You should move the logins in iOS from this vault to the Vault called personal, that is part of your account. Then everything will be in sync.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zshipps - @peacekeeper is correct: if you've established a 1password.com membership, then one of the benefits is that you no longer have to setup, manage, worry about, or troubleshoot 3rd party sync via Dropbox or any other method. Just sign into your account on any device (in the 1Password app or a browser, whatever you prefer using) and that's it.

But first, make sure you've got a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in your account. I'd recommend using these instructions to move your data, as @peacekeeper suggested, then if you want to make sure, sign into your account in a browser so you're certain you're looking at only what's in your account. If it looks complete to you, you can return to your phone and use these instructions to delete your no-longer-needed Primary vault. Let me know how you get on! :)

• zshipps
    zshipps
    Community Member
    Options

okay, thank you... but is there any automated way to "merge" the two vaults? There are definitely some discrepancies between the two and it would take hours to figure out the individual items.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zshipps - not in any kind of automated way, no. At some point in the not-too-distant past, presumably, the two were from a single data set, likely your older Primary (standalone) vault: when you created your 1password.com membership, the data was imported into the Personal vault, and then you chose not to remove the Primary vault, resulting in duplicated items that were (at that time) perfectly the same. Over time, however, you may have updated or added items in one vault and some in the other, and so the data has diverged.

We never want any 1Password algorithm trying to decide for you which "copy" of a given set of data is correct, or even which records are "duplicates" of one another. If the UUIDs are different, they'll get treated as different items. But what you can do is sort both vaults by Date Modified (in 1Password), and check to see which items have been modified in each vault. Then, you can migrate/copy only those items which were changed, and you'll have a much shorter time of it. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• zshipps
    zshipps
    Community Member
    Options

ok thanks guys!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zshipps - you're quite welcome! Glad I could offer some ideas. Let us know if you hit any trouble. :)

This discussion has been closed.