Moving to 1password7, empty vault

Options
mikeottinger
mikeottinger
Community Member

Hello all, I'm out of ideas here.

I'm on a new work computer, my old one being unavailable to me as I've left the company. I was using 1password 5 or 6, not sure which one with DropBox and my file was using the name 1Password.agilekeychain. When I installed 7 I came to learn that this is a legacy format. I stumbled on the Sync tab within the Preferences window and configured the Primary vault with a sync for DropBox. I chose where the file was, it let me pick the 1Password.agilekeychain file, it noticed the file was the older format, told me it would convert it. I then was left with a 906 byte 1Password.opvault sitting along side the now renamed 1Password.legacyagilekeychain file. 1password itself is completely empty, even after restarting the app and even my machine. Can someone let me know where I might be going wrong?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mikeottinger

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Rename 1Password.legacyagilekeychain to 1Password.agilekeychain
    2. Delete the 1Password.opvault file
    3. Delete the Primary vault within the 1Password for Mac app, if it exists. From the menu bar, choose Vault > Switch to Vault > Primary. Choose Vault > Delete Vault.
    4. Double click on the 1Password.agilekeychain file

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• mikeottinger
    mikeottinger
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reaching out, under the Vault menu, I don't have a Switch to Vault option. Attaching the 3 options that are rendered, but they're all greyed-out.

• Ben
    Options

@mikeottinger

Could you please post a screenshot of what you see in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults?

Thanks.

Ben

• mikeottinger
    mikeottinger
    Community Member
    Options

Here it is:

• Ben
    Options

@mikeottinger

Was 1Password unlocked when you took that?

Ben

• mikeottinger
    mikeottinger
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, sorry... it was not unlocked when I took that. Here's my vaults:

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @mikeottinger. Please replace step 3 above with selecting Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.

Ben

• mikeottinger
    mikeottinger
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, a little more progress. I deleted all the data and re-logged into 1password. When I went onto step 4, double-clicking the agilekeychain file, I got the screenshot below.

I clicked on the Learn More button which took me to similar instructions on upgrading the agilekeychain file, it once again resulted in an "empty" opvault file though.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikeottinger - if you're using 1Password 7 for Mac, that's correct: it won't allow you to use Agile Keychain as a sync format. However, 1Password 7 for Mac will import it. To do this, you'll need to create an empty Primary vault, then use File > Import to import the data from the Agile Keychain into 1Password. Then, you can re-establish Dropbox sync using the more-modern and robust OPVault format. Choose the top option in that menu, called "1Password Keychain":

Let me know how that goes for you. :)

• mikeottinger
    mikeottinger
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! That did it. Looks like I'm all set!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikeottinger - great! Glad I was able to assist. Just make sure if you have any other devices on which you use 1Password that you toggle OFF Dropbox sync, then turn it back on again and point it at the proper OPVault keychain, else things will start to become out of sync. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.