1Password 2FA limitation

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited March 2019 in Business and Teams

It's unfortunate as I would like to try 1Password's 2FA but because my devices aren't all new, it means I cannot use the feature? I have devices with iOS 12, iOS 10, Android 8 and 9. Also Windows and Macs. I previously used Duo, a feature from Teams, but now I cannot as well.

I cannot upgrade frequently.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019
    Options

You don't have to have new devices, just ones that are reasonably up to date. iOS 10 appears to be the thing holding you back there. 1Password 6 will be the most recent version you can run on that, and that was made before we even had two-factor authentication, so it cannot work there. It sounds like you'd be able to use it on all the others though. You'd need iOS 11 or 12 to run a version of 1Password 7, which does support the two-factor.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty,

Time to retire the old iPad 4.. It has a 32bit CPU hence the iOS 10 requirement.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Can 1Password 2FA and Duo MFA coexist? I haven't tried. When I joined, Duo MFA was a beta feature. Duo can also act as a 2FA TOTP. Both 1Password 2FA and Duo MFA are currently disabled.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No. You'd need to use one or the other. 1Password's native (TOTP) two-factor authentication is a personal account setting, whereas Duo authentication is a team/business-wide account setting.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

I will have to try to see how things go. I have found 1Password for Android more lenient? 1Password 7 for iOS has a 2 version limit, iOS 11 and 12, though that may change in the future, 1Password for Android has, with Android at v9, 1Password 7 will work with Android 5.0 as a minimum? Features are subject to change with the Android version.

With regards to 2FA, I am at Android 8 and 9 so should be safe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's always a difficult decision, but we try to strike the best balance we can between supporting the latest features and security enhancements (higher version requirement) and compatibility with OSes based on usage, for a number of reasons, including development, testing, support, and usability. As you notice, on Android, which we support some fairly old OSes, it can cause confusion when specific features require a higher OS version. Glad to hear you're able to use those. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Brenty, With Dropbox now limited to 3 devices going forward, it will be a challenge for those sticking to local vaults.

Good luck to all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't disagree. I'm really glad that we put in the work to build our own service already, or we really wouldn't have a good alternative to offer people now.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

An issue I had previously was that an outdated version of 1Password stopped 1Password for Teams in its tracks with Duo MFA on at the time. My iPad 4 is now retired. I understand that 1Password would like everyone to use the latest version but people usually stagger their device purchases.

My iPhones are now 3 years old (2016 model - A9 CPU) and could be in use for another 2 years. Apple has released new low end iPads with the A12 CPU. We will have to see what happens.

iCloud syncing could be a way forward for local vaults but unlike Dropbox it isn't universal. Android has Google Drive but no iCloud. OneDrive support is non existent. Dropbox is the only universally supported sync option (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) for local vaults, until when it stops being supported.

Agilebits is uninterested but I would suggest as a switch away from Dropbox, OneDrive as an alternative as Microsoft is now fully invested in iOS and Android, or Google Drive for local vaults?

• Ben
    Options

@wkleem,

We're not considering building support for additional 3rd party services at this time. 1Password membership is the way forward. Like any other service we have to set system requirements that allow us to implement the features people want while balancing budgetary (and security) considerations. There is always going to be a conflict between those two interests.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I realise progress of the transition to a web based 1Password has obstacles. 1Password 7 for Windows when compared to the old 1Password standalone versions seems incomplete, still. Is Application support there yet. In the standalone version for example I could fill in iTunes from 1Password for Windows v4. It doesn't appear possible now. 1Password for the web is also a work in progress.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Everything is a work in progress. :) If memory serves, it is possible to use the "Type in window" feature to fill the password in iTunes for Windows though, if I'm not getting confused because there's two now. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

I discovered an old discussion regarding Auto-Type and "type in window" for April 2018, recently replied in 2019.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87292/auto-type-feature-in-new-windows-app

There may be some confusion here. There is no Auto-Type in 1Password 7, we have the first step implemented which is called Type in Window. It's a manual process that lets you choose a field to automatically paste into a running program window but it is nothing like Auto-Type from 1Password 4.

Type in Window will evolve into Auto-Type as we continue to improve 1Password but we don't have a timeframe on when it is coming.

To make it work:

Focus the field in the program you want 1Password to paste specific content in
    Bring up 1Password mini (Control + Alt + \ )
    Type to find the item you want, right-click on it and hover over the field you want to paste, you'll find the list of running program that 1Password can automatically paste the field into.

Any progress for type in Window to replace Auto-Type?

While on 1Password for Windows, there is no 2FA, no support for 1Password for Web with v4 and Dropbox is more restrictive now too.

From that earlier discussion, there appears to be a drawback to type in window as it may not work in all situations? There's no further reply from that discussion but it isn't closed yet.

I tried Ctrl + Alt + \ and it works for copy/paste but no auto paste? This was done on iTunes 12.6.x., which can be downloaded from the iTunes for Business web page. I am on Windows 7, if that matters.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We don't share development details publicly, but I'm sure we'll have more to say about Auto-Type in the future as the new Windows app continues to mature. :) "Type in window" does not work in all situations, but neither did Auto-Type in 1Password 4. Not all apps follow Microsoft's guidelines or use their tools. I can confirm that while the main iTunes window is visible to 1Password, the sign in prompt is not:

So "Type in window" will not work there. We'll see if we can get stuff like that working as we continue to iterate on this feature in the future, but, as I mentioned originally, you can still open 1Password mini to copy and paste -- just like with iTunes on macOS.

Regarding two-factor authentication, I'm not sure what you mean. The Windows app supports generating TOTOP codes for 3rd party services, and 1Password membership accounts have optional two-factor authentication themselves.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clearing up the matter re: Type in Window. I mixed up 1Password's TOTP, the one found in membership accounts with the one for third party logins.

Regarding two-factor authentication, I'm not sure what you mean. The Windows app supports generating TOTOP codes for 3rd party services, and 1Password membership accounts have optional two-factor authentication themselves.

Anyway, I don't think 1Password 4 supports any of them, not that I noticed anyway? 1Password 7 does have support TOTP support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password 4 was created long before 1Password memberships existed, so, since it does not support those, which authenticate with a server, it doesn't have a second factor of authentication either. 1Password 4 does, however, support generating TOTP codes in Login items.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.