1P 7.2.5 will not run on MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

Options
fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member

At one time I always waited to check this discussion board for problems before uploading new 1P upgrades. For the last year or so I have just been upgrading when 1P offers upgrades on my desktop notifications, with no problems. This morning I installed 7.2.5 when it was offered. The notice did not include any warning that it will not run on my currently installed MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. After I did the upload 1P will no longer open a login website from my (licensed version) desktop application. If I go to the website's login page I cannot use the 1P Safari extension to login because there is now red lettering over the extension icon that says "Inc...ari"

I tried to update the Safari extension from my desktop application, but I got a message that says my version of Safari needs to be upgraded and I could find the update in the App Store. I went to the App Store, doubting it would have Safari updates, and there was no Safari update. I went to the Safari web site and it said Safari can only be updated as part of my MacOS updates. I checked for a MacOS update and the only update available is an update to Mojave, which I do not want to install to at this time.

For now, the only way I can use 1P is to go to a website login page on my own, with no help from my 1P app, and then type in the credentials myself, also with no help from 1P. Fortunately, I can still open 1P and see my credentials!

What can I do to get a working version of 1P?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• LeonardJG
    LeonardJG
    Community Member
    Options

Having the exact same issue. Can't use 1P with Safari any longer. 1Password 7.25 updated this morning. Running High Sierra, just gives a message that Safari needs updating and to go to Mac App Store...where there is no Safari update.

• Hi @fourwheelcycle @LeonardJG ,

Can you please post what version of Safari you are running? 1Password 7.2.5 requires Safari version 12, which is available for macOS 10.12 or later. It is included in macOS 10.14, but should be offered as an update for macOS 10.12 and 10.13.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi folks,

To add to what Kevin said: We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. If you're seeing this message you're out of date on both of the latter two, though the lack of an up to date version of Safari is what causes the message.

Ben

• Hi again,

A coworker noticed there might be an issue where some users running Safari 11 aren't offered Safari 12. If this is you, the solution is to, restart, holding the Shift key to start up in "safe" mode. Then open the App Store app and check for updates. It should offer you to update to Safari 12 then. Do that and restart and you should be ok. More information is here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8548771

Cheers,
    Kevin

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

Amazing. It worked. Very helpful advice. Thanks!

This was NOT a 1P problem. It was a weird MacOS/Safari problem, where Mac downgraded my Safari 12 installation to Safari 11 w/o telling me when I did my last MacOS update. Everything appears to be working OK now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fourwheelcycle - great! I'm glad ag_kevin was able to help you figure things out. :)

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry to drag a Team Member back to this post, but I have some info that may help other users.

I followed the instructions posted above by ag_kevin and they worked perfectly on my MacBook Pro. However, when I installed 1P 7.2.5 on my iMac I discovered the same problem. Unfortunately, the same instructions did not work on my iMac. I called Apple Help and they were stymied also, even after they had me to a complete new install of MacOS High Sierra. So then I went on the internet and found this web site: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15675/apple-safari

At the web site I found a link to this install package for Safari 12.0.3: Safari12.0.3HighSierraAuto.pkg

I installed it on my iMac and now everything appears OK, with 1P 7.2.5 running properly. After the install I ran a scan on my iMac and as far as Malwarebytes can tell I did not acquire any key loggers, etc., as part of my Safari 12.0.3 download and install.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fourwheelcycle - thanks for the update! :)

This discussion has been closed.