How do I fix this error message: You can't create a new (null) because your Personal vault...

bobbydoololly
bobbydoololly
Community Member

Hi,

Trying to use short cut for New Login but getting this error: You can't create a new (null) because your Personal vault doesn't support items of this type. Switch to a vault in one of these accounts: My Name.

However, i am in my own vault (I only have one vault anyway).

This bring up another question: when a website does not recognize a new login on it's own, this is the short cut to use, right? There have been several occasionse where I created a new account, but 1password didn't offer to save it as a new login (including for this forum, actually). So I had to go to the generated password, and turn that into a login manually.

Thanks,
R.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:You can't create a new (null) because your Personal vault doesn't support items of this type.

Comments

• bobbydoololly
    bobbydoololly
    Community Member

Actually, I'm realizing that shortcut doesn't wok outside the app. So I'd be curious to the quick solution to adding a website I just created and wasn't automatically suggested to be added.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bobbydoololly - I'm not quite sure I understand what you're referring to. If you enter data into a website's Login page that is NOT already saved in 1Password, you should get a prompt to save when you click the Login button or press Enter. If that doesn't happen, can you let us know what the website in question is, if you're comfortable with that? Also, you can always use these instructions to save a login manually in your browser, which should get you where you want to be. If I'm misunderstanding what you're asking about, can you clarify? Thanks. :)

• bobbydoololly
    bobbydoololly
    Community Member

Hi @Lars well actually when I registered to this forum, the website didn't save. Here's what I'm doing:

1, filled out registry information
    2, Clicked on browser extension and clicked to "fill" generated password
    3, The password was filled and I registered.

The generated password shows up under "passwords". So I would have to manually convert it to a login. Same happened for the hbonow website. I see the filled password saved under "passwords".

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bobbydoololly - thanks for the additional information. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password you're running?
      2.What specific version of OS you're running (Mac? Windows? Version number?)
    2. What specific version of 1Password extension you have installed
    3. What browser (and version)?
    4. Anything else you think might help us.

Thanks in advance.

• bobbydoololly
    bobbydoololly
    Community Member

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.5 (70205002)
    AgileBits Store

mojave 10.14.2

Safari

iOS 12.1.4

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bobbydoololly - ah, that'll be the problem, then. There's currently a bug in 7.2.5 regarding saving login forms from generated passwords. If you use 1Password's internal password generator and fill it directly, then submit the form, you won't get asked to save it as a new Login item (and you should get asked). The problem's been addressed in the current beta, so it should be coming to the stable update channel relatively soon, but for now, the workaround would be to generate passwords in 1Password, but instead of filling them directly, click the drop-down arrow and choose Copy instead, then paste it in yourself (and of course enter whatever username you wish), and then submit the form. That should trigger 1Password's Save feature. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience while we work to fix this issue. :)

• bobbydoololly
    bobbydoololly
    Community Member

@lars Thanks! Easy enough.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bobbydoololly - you're quite welcome! Let us know if you continue to have difficulties.

This discussion has been closed.