Free Dropbox account device limit [1Password membership has no limit on number of devices]

Options
ranrinc
ranrinc
Community Member
edited March 2019 in Mac

Hi all,

Currently I used dropbox as my all time sync for 1password which consist all my macBooks, all my iOS, all my Android, all my Windows which is working great. However this month dropbox is changing its policy to limit 3 device sync and it will break my 1password. Is there away for me to change it into something that will work accross the board without spending money? Sorry to post it on the wrong forum categories since I couldn't find anything that specifically say all system or sync issue

View 1Password Approved Answer

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ranrinc

Sorry to post it on the wrong forum categories since I couldn't find anything that specifically say all system or sync issue

No worries. As you say, we don't really have a category that would be better suited.

Currently I used dropbox as my all time sync for 1password which consist all my macBooks, all my iOS, all my Android, all my Windows which is working great. However this month dropbox is changing its policy to limit 3 device sync and it will break my 1password. Is there away for me to change it into something that will work accross the board without spending money?

There is not. To sync those devices the options would be to upgrade your Dropbox account, or to upgrade to a 1Password membership. The latter would be the recommended solution. 1Password membership does not impose any limit on the number of devices you can use. Neither of those options come without a cost, though. That said, I'd highly recommend reaching out to our billing team at support@1password.com to see what assistance they can offer in this regard.

Ben

• ranrinc
    ranrinc
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for a quick reply Ben.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019
    Options

Glad Ben was able to help. We're here if you have any other questions! :)

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member
    Options

Along those lines---find myself in the same situation. Also, I just recently (within the last 2-3 months), paid for a standalone license. Also, as a teacher, was wondering if the educator's discount still exists, especially as I am going to have to (reluctantly) move to a subscription.

So, I don't know what, if any, accommodations might be available for my situation...what is the email address that I should use to reach out on this combination of issues?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jeffois: Please shoot us an email at sales@1password.com with the details so we can help. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Just to clarify, per Dropbox support, it is 3 devices but they are not deactivating, provided there is no change in devices.

https://help.dropbox.com/account/computer-limit

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thank you! I just sent it.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. :+1: We'll be in touch soon.

Ben

• ScottA
    ScottA
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat, as I imagine many 1Passoword/Dropbox users will be next time they add a device or change phones.

Are there plans to add sync support for other cloud solutions like OneDrive and Google Drive, or will the subscription upsell be the permanent approach?

• Ben
    Options

@ScottA

We're not considering building support for additional 3rd party services at this time. A 1Password membership works on all your compatible devices. There is no limit. You can read about the many other benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

And if you'll reach out to support+billing@1password.com we'll be happy to help you make the transition. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• ScottA
    ScottA
    Community Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

So, a problem for your loyal customers is an upsell opportunity for you. Thanks for your honesty, at least.

If I wanted a membership I wouldn't have paid for the standalone version so many times over the years. Time for me to switch password managers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ScottA

If I wanted a membership I wouldn't have paid for the standalone version so many times over the years.

If you've paid for the standalone version of 1Password "many times over the years," first of all, thank you! We truly appreciate it, and we're very aware 1Password would not be where it is today without the early and consistent support of long-time users like you.

If you've been doing that, though, then in the financial sense at least you have had a sort of "membership" even before 1password.com memberships existed -- you've paid multiple times over several years for access to new versions. The only real (financial) difference is that you've paid a higher amount on fewer occasions (when we've released new full-version upgrades), instead of a smaller amount more regularly.

The other difference is the difference between standalone data and data "in the cloud." There are indeed a small minority of 1Password users who prefer to keep their data entirely away from all cloud-based syncing, but if you've been using Dropbox as your sync method, you're clearly not one of them. One of the original reasons we created 1password.com is because most of our users' difficulties (and our resulting customer service issues) came from difficulties setting up and maintaining 3rd party sync solutions such as Dropbox and iCloud (and WLAN, though that's not "third party"). In the former case, we have zero control over and limited visibility into the sync processes of outside parties, and - as you can see by Dropbox's announcement - we're just as subject to the winds of change at those providers as our users are.

With 1password.com, sync is drop-dead simple to set up - just sign into your 1password.com account in the 1Password app on any device you want to use 1Password on, and you're done. There's no limit on the number of devices you can use your account on, and in the unlikely event that you DO have a problem, we can help troubleshoot it all the way through, from the client side and the server side. We want our users to have the best, most trouble-free (and secure!) experience of using 1Password as possible, and creating a robust and purpose-built sync solution was clearly the way forward, not adding still more 3rd party sync solutions, each with their own idiosyncrasies, requirements, caveats and (eventually) issues like the one users are encountering here.

• Ben
    Options

I'd encourage anyone who wishes to discuss their particular situation to reach out to our billing team at support+billing@1password.com. They'll be in the best position to assist with moving forward. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.