Password Generator suggested password is not editable

The password generator is EXTREMELY unhelpful. There's no way to edit the suggested password if what you're given doesn't quite meet the requirements. What I run into most often is a website that only accepts a subset of all special characters. In previous versions, I'd generate a password, then change any unacceptable characters into acceptable ones before submitting. Now, I can generate a password, but there's no option for editing it. You get whatever is offered by the generator, and if it's not acceptable then the only option is to generate a whole new one that's also almost certainly not going to work. I'm left with the very manual process of 1. Generate a password, 2. Copy it to a text editor, 3. edit and manually submit it, 4. manually update the saved password in 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 1.14.1
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019

Hi @Tipperon

I agree it would be helpful, at least until a better solution to the password complexity requirements problem is found, to be able to edit generated passwords. I'll see what I can do to advocate for that position. That said in my personal experience I do typically find that within the first two or three passwords generated an acceptable one is found. Thanks for sharing your feedback on this.

Ben

ref: x/b5x#693

• RichardWest
    RichardWest
    Community Member

I will second this suggestion. I'm evaluating a switch from LastPass Enterprise to 1Password Business for my company. This inability to edit a suggested password is this first thing that I tried, and it really poses a deal killer to my migration plan.

• Thanks @RichardWest. I would suggest reaching out to our business team at business@1password.com with that feedback. They'll be in the best position to push that angle.

Ben

• cpmcgrath
    cpmcgrath
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Hi,
    I know this is has been discussed a lot - probably the biggest complaint in 1Password X, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.
    In short, this is a potentially awesome feature that I never use. Either sites do passwords well and I want a longer password than you offer, or the site does an awful job at passwords and the password you offer is either too long or using symbols it doesn't like.

I think there's a really simple solution that doesn't change your design almost at all - Offer multiple options.
    Instead of offering "Use suggest Password" show 4 or 5 options:

• Use 20 Character standard
    • Use Long and Awesome (all character types, I'd like to say 100 characters but 1password X's generator limits you to 50 please change that)
    • 20 Characters, no symbols
    • Short, No Symbols (15 characters, no symbols)

If you did that it would cover 90% of the cases.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@cpmcgrath: That's exactly what the password generator is for ;)

No matter what, 1Password always has a strong password generator you can access to create passwords, with options that help when you need to adhere to strange restrictions some websites employ.

The purpose of the Suggested Passwords feature is to give a quicker option for use with most websites, which will accept a sufficiently strong password and not nitpick about it. That's why we've settled on 20 random capital/lowercase letters for now. Having to choose between multiple options eliminates most of the benefit of the Suggested Passwords feature, and clutters up what really needs to stay a fairly small menu -- at which point you may as well open the password generator and customize it however you want/need.

We'll continue to evaluate all of this and make changes where appropriate...but for the foreseeable future you're not going to get any actual benefit from 100 characters as opposed to 50, at the cost of usability and efficiency (all of this needs to be encrypted, stored, and decrypted, after all). That may change in the future though, as needed. Thank you for the feedback! :)

• nick_Wilson
    nick_Wilson
    Community Member

I'm a little late to the party, but I wish the suggested password feature could adopt the choice that I've made for generating passwords within the 1password app. Without that feature, I find I can rarely use the suggested password due to either length, or some of its symbol choices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. :)

• BazzFreeman
    BazzFreeman
    Community Member

I like to use diceware-type passwords. I'm getting on in years and trying to remember 1DfgT65$hhbbDc is getting harder. I much prefer the correct horse battery staple type passwords.

So the desktop generator happily makes those for me. Super!. The 1PasswordX one doesn't. Just a simple clicky to opt for words vs random characters would be excellent.

Random but memorable, folks, random but memorable.

• J_O_D
    J_O_D
    Community Member

You mean the Password Generator inside the form? Because the one in the extension (click icon, +, Password Generator) has the option for me in Chrome.

• Hey @BazzFreeman! I'm glad you said so. What @J_O_D says is true. I'd love to give you a mini tour of the 1Password X Password Generator! :) Here's a screen recording demonstrating exactly what you're looking for in the new 1Password X popup (and more). - Screen cast: 1Password X - Password Generator | Memorable password -

• BazzFreeman
    BazzFreeman
    Community Member

Thanks, yes I know about the one in the form. I meant when you first login to a new account. It offers a suggested password. That's the one I meant

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The Suggested Password feature is designed to be convenient and secure, by being compatible with most sites while still offering a sufficiently strong password. If you need a password of a different type/composition though, you can always use the Password Generator, as mentioned above, since that's designed to be more flexible at the sacrifice of some convenience, for when it is necessary. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.