persistent "Authentication Required" popups from 1Password X

I think this cropped up when I changed my secret key. My laptop was recently stolen and in the aftermath I changed my secret key. Everything seems to work fine on my new laptop. The Mac app, the web app, and the 1Password X extension all behave normally. My desktop machine, different story.

The desktop was setup before the secret key change, and 1Password X is acting strange. The Mac works fine. 1Password X works correctly but it won't sync, so it has a stale view of my vaults. When I login to 1 Password X, it works, but I immediately get a Chrome popup telling me "Authentication Required". If I do what it says, follow the link, and login to the web app, this works fine, but the X extension still does not sync, and the next time I login to the extension the same thing happens. Following advice I saw elsewhere I've tried logging out and back in again to the web app, but nothing changes.

This is with Chrome on the Mac. I also recently set up 2FA. Not sure if this started when I change the secret key, or when I turned on 2FA. Don't remember the exact order. Something else weird is that when I go out and back into the web app, I am not getting prompted for 2FA.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 1.14.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @spoco92!

First of all, I'm sorry that your laptop got stolen. :(

I believe the issue you're currently seeing is connected to 2FA. You should see things go back to normal if you remove and then reinstall 1Password X. Give that a try and let me know how it goes. :smile:

• spoco92
    spoco92
    Community Member

will do

• spoco92
    spoco92
    Community Member

Yes, that did the trick. Thanks.

• Thanks for the update, @spoco92. I'm glad things are working for you again.

In theory you should not have needed to reinstall 1Password X as it should have automatically updated everything after you signed from the Authentication Required prompt. We fixed an issue here recently in the beta and I believe it was the source of confusion here. Once we get that released to the stable channel hopefully we won't see this happen again.

Thanks again! Take care,

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.