Enhancement Request: OTP - One Time Password sent to cell phones/mails

Abhijit
Abhijit
Community Member

In today's world to give you an example of say amazon when we make purchases, select the credit card already saved and enter the CVV, being the part of two way authentication a OTP is sent to your cell phone. You are required to enter the OTP to the presented field on the site to complete the transactions.

Now 1Password always asks me to save the OTP as it does not know what it is. Can't we apply AI here to intelligently detect that it is OTP and do not offer to save it? This should also apply to use cases where you need to enter some English like 'EUxp' which is agian one time.

I suggest we think through the complete user flows in these situations and enable ourselves to handle such situations intelligently and gracefully.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Abhijit

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't think we want to hand-wave "apply AI" as it's going to be more complex than that (especially since artificial intelligence still isn't really a reality), but it's an interesting idea. Perhaps something like that will be possible in the future -- hopefully without enslaving the human race. ;) In the mean time, it's better than 1Password err on the side of offering to save a password rather than not, since the consequences of losing a password can be pretty severe. Food for thought. :)

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

I think AI exists for last 30, 40 + years now and very much a reality. We can definitely build some algorithms to learn over a period or detect that it is OTP and offer not to save. I think the expectation is fair as everywhere there is two way authentication. We are smart and we will remain smart. Please review the use cases.

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Not really. I think you mean machine learning. :) You're definitely smart, but (un)fortunately(?) there are not yet machines that have intelligence like yours. I think domain-specific machine learning may be useful here long before there is anything like an artificial intelligence that can understand web pages, etc. the way that you and I can. In fact, we're using some of that in 1Password X already. It's just not as simple as you make it out to be, so I'm trying to set realistic expectations. Cheers! :)

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty! Are you even considering the ER or scrapping this completely? I am not at all saying that it is and easy thing to do. I still consider that this needs to be brainstormed or debated between our team.

History of AI
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_artificial_intelligence

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• We'll definitely continue to look for ways in which we can improve things like this. It may indeed be an area where machine learning or crowdsourcing can assist, but as discussed above that isn't a quick fix. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. We'll do some brainstorming. :+1:

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Indeed, I already answered you twice, and I am not going to get drawn into a protracted debate on the definition of AI. ;)

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thank you for answering me twice. And thanks Ben/Brenty that we are considering the ER. As a user I agree I really should not comment on technology we use. As long as OTP screens are avoided to save passwords by us we will be happy.

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am happy to answer many more times! I just don't want to give you the impression that this is something that could happen in the near future. Thanks for understanding. :) In the mean time, what is very possible is 1Password filling one-time passwords it is managing for you. If you encounter issues with that, please let us know so we can help. And thank you for being awesome and pushing us to do even better. :chuffed:

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thank you Brenty!! You are Awesome!!

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You too! Thanks for sharing our passion for 1Password. :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.