Item detail layout

This discussion was created from comments split from: Disliking the new custom field layout.

Comments

• glenn1p
    glenn1p
    Community Member

Hello again. I've just browsed a load of entries looking for comments on hiding empty labels, something that didn't strike me when I first upgraded to 1p7. (Workaround: enter a space - but why must I?)

The vertical layout in Secure Notes, low contrast between labels and data, and forced all caps in Section titles are still bothering me. It's not just a case of "things changed and I don't like the new thing" — I've allowed it a lot of time. Can I suggest you at least create a new category of secure notes with the old tabular layout for labels and data? Secure Tables?

(I just realised the icon for Secure Notes in the Mac app sidebar resembles the old beloved tabular layout more than the new layout. How ironic.)

Finally, I can't say how much I'm looking forward to hiding the huge red warning that says I'm using the same the same password on multiple websites. Guess what? They're different items referencing the same macOS server and its Profile Manager. It's the same user so of course it's the same password.

Bah humbug. I get that narrow windows and long labels, grey text and all caps are your current design choices. Please add more choices. It's not preference bloat when it's useful and appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hello again. I've just browsed a load of entries looking for comments on hiding empty labels, something that didn't strike me when I first upgraded to 1p7. (Workaround: enter a space - but why must I?)

@glenn1p: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm honestly not sure though. How does having a blank field name help in your use case? Maybe some insight into what you're trying to accomplish will help.

The vertical layout in Secure Notes, low contrast between labels and data, and forced all caps in Section titles are still bothering me. It's not just a case of "things changed and I don't like the new thing" — I've allowed it a lot of time. Can I suggest you at least create a new category of secure notes with the old tabular layout for labels and data? Secure Tables? (I just realised the icon for Secure Notes in the Mac app sidebar resembles the old beloved tabular layout more than the new layout. How ironic.)

I'm really not sure what you mean by "tabular layout". Secure Notes have always been text only. Certainly we can consider adding a "secure tables" feature to a future version, but I'm not sure we can justify doing something like that at this time, as it would mean not working on a lot of things there's higher demand for.

Finally, I can't say how much I'm looking forward to hiding the huge red warning that says I'm using the same the same password on multiple websites. Guess what? They're different items referencing the same macOS server and its Profile Manager. It's the same user so of course it's the same password.

That's really not relevant to this dissuasion, but it sounds like you may just need to save the info into a single item instead. If you want to be able to fill in your browser at some point, a Login item is best since it has that capability; and custom fields can be used to add whatever other information you want to.

Bah humbug. I get that narrow windows and long labels, grey text and all caps are your current design choices. Please add more choices. It's not preference bloat when it's useful and appreciated!

Just to clarify, we're focused on password management, not on building a "kitchen sink"-type app with a customizable UI. So the work we do on 1Password needs to be in service of that -- making it the best password manager we can. We're definitely open to new ideas though, and while maintaining multiple UIs is something we've been working to avoid (since it adds additional complexity for development, testing, support, and users), maybe there's room for some adjustments. We'll continue to listen to feedback from all 1Password users as we iterate on the design going forward. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your preferences. :)

• glenn1p
    glenn1p
    Community Member

Hello Brenty,

Thank you for the response.

How does having a blank field name help in your use case?

Leaving labels blank when they're not necessary reduces visual clutter, allowing me to focus on the data. For example, a secure note that contains a list of Apple IDs and passwords also contains a URL to an Apple ID management page. It's not necessary to label that URL. The IP address for a server in a server item doesn't have to be labelled anything. An email address could just be an email address — instantly recognisable as an email address without a label saying it's an email address. Yes, reducing clutter is a personal preference, but I'm disappointed the option was removed (and now it's necessary to enter a space to hide the "label" field name).

I'm really not sure what you mean by "tabular layout". Secure Notes have always been text only.

By "tablular" layout I mean a layout like the old Secure Note where labels were on the left and data on the right, thus forming a kind of two-column layout. Here's an example of why I miss that old layout: I have lists of IDs and passwords for a company of ~70 staff. Each list is now about twice as long as it used to be — 4 pages long on my monitor.

Can you reinstate the old layout with a new name, keeping the current Secure Note as it is? I guess that's still a lot of work.

I'm looking forward to hiding the huge red warning that says I'm using the same the same password on multiple websites.

That's really not relevant to this dissuasion, but it sounds like you may just need to save the info into a single item instead.

There are cases where the same password belongs in more than one item. A Secure Note might contain a particular user ID and password in a list of many IDs, and that same ID might be on a login item. It's all about organisation. If I know what I'm doing — and I humbly submit that I do — I'd like not to see a huge red alert. "Hide Alerts" could be in Preferences > Advanced.

Thanks,

Glenn

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for getting back to me, and clarifying what you're trying to do! I can't promise we'll make the changes you're looking for, as we can't simply add old code to the new app; and I'm not sure it would make sense at this time since we're not getting similar feedback from others. But it's certainly something we'll evaluate as we continue working on 1Password. :)

Finally, regarding having to use the same password for multiple things (sorry for my typos), that is definitely something we're getting feedback about from others, and a problem we're working on. I don't think we will add an option to hide alerts since that's the point of Watchtower being enabled in the first place: to notify you; but we recognize that it would be helpful to a fair number of people to have a way to dismiss specific instances. I don't know exactly what form that will take, but it's on our todo list. Thank you for weighing in on this as well!

• glenn1p
    glenn1p
    Community Member

I don't think we will add an option to hide alerts since that's the point of Watchtower being enabled in the first place: to notify you

Alerts appear with Watchtower completely disabled.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@glenn1p Some alerts (such as reused password warnings) will show even if Watchtower is disabled, so I think that explains it :)

• glenn1p
    glenn1p
    Community Member

@glenn1p Some alerts (such as reused password warnings) will show even if Watchtower is disabled, so I think that explains it :)

Why must some alerts display?

I've chosen to have data in multiple items. I could spell out a detailed use case for this, but simply put, it's a user preference. To be clear, no password is being reused, it's simply being restated in different formats. So "reused" is plain wrong, and its alert uses valuable screen space.

Disabling Watchtower ought to prevent display of a "reused password alert." That's a Watchtower feature, right? Please give me the option to fully disable Watchtower and alerts. An advanced preferenc if you like.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @glenn1p!

I think that the reason behind this is that 1Password is a password manager, so technically it's his job to warn you of reused password. Having said this, we are always happy to improve the app, so once again thank you for sharing your use case :)

This discussion has been closed.