1Password 7 Safari Extension missing

lukevan
lukevan
Community Member

I am running 1Password 7 (version 7.2.5) on my Mac (OS X 10.13.6) and got the most recent update for 1Password in the last day or so. I used it today (for the first time since the update) and it will not automatically open Safari and it also will not fill in the username/password like it normally does when I tell it to "Open and Fill" or just "Fill". I checked in Safari and there is no 1Password extension listed. I checked for help on the 1Password support pages and I see a message saying that my browser does not have the extension, but unlike Chrome, Firefox, etc., I can't separately download and re-install the Safari extension because it appears to be imbedded in the 1Password 7 application. Until the very recent update, it was working fine. I looked through some threads but couldn't find anyone posting this problem. Any suggestions on how to get the Extension back into Safari? Thank you.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 (version 7.2.5)
Extension Version: It's missing from Safari
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The 7.2.5 extension SHOULD be installed automatically. Do you see it in Safari > Preferences > Extensions?

If not, there is something weird going on (I certainly have it in mine). But I wonder if it is there but not enabled - though, again, it should have been enabled automatically.

• lukevan
    lukevan
    Community Member

In Safari > Preferences > Extensions the 1Password Extension is not listed. In 1Password under Preferences > Browsers the Extension Helper is Enabled and the Autosave (Detect new usernames ...) is Enabled.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

As I said, it should have worked. An AgileBits person will come along to help at some point, but in the mean time there are various standard tricks you might try.

They are quitting 1PW completely (ctrl-option-cmd-Q) and quitting Safari, then reopening them. Trashing 1PW and redownloading. Restarting your computer.

Of course, rather than these leaps in the dark, you may well prefer to wait for an official response

• Wyzzer
    Wyzzer
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I can install the extension from the Apple Safari extension website:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/

It shows up along the top of the browser as installed, and in Safari>Preferences>Extensions it's listed, but after I Command+Q, and restart Safari, it's gone again.

I recently upgraded to Mojave, but this phenomenon was present prior to that as well.

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.4 (70204001)
    Mac App Store

MacOS Mojave 10.14

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lukevan - I'm sorry for the trouble. What version of Safari are you using?

• lukevan
    lukevan
    Community Member

Hi Lars: Safari Version 12.0.3 (13606.4.5.3.1). A couple of more tidbits that may be of interest. I've done a full re-start of the computer a couple of times since I last posted. I can now see the 1Password extension in Safari through Preferences > Extensions. But Safari still will not open when I click a password in 1Password and tell it to "Open and Fill". Also, even when I manually open a new Window in Safari and navigate to the site I want (e.g. Amazon.com), I have to manually cut/paste the username/pw from 1Password and I'm no longer getting the option to simply "Fill" the information in like normal once you're already at the site you want. It's as if 1Password does not recognize that Safari is open and already sitting at the the log-in screen for the specific password. As I originally indicated, all of this unusual lack of response by 1Password began immediately following the last update to the program.

• lukevan
    lukevan
    Community Member

Additional update: I realized from re-reading Wyzzer's post that my 1Password button in Safari is missing, but the quick access button in the menu bar at the top of the Mac screen is there as always (I normally access 1Password via the button at the top of the Mac). I looked in Safari > Preferences > Extensions and saw that the 1Password extension did not have a check mark in the small box to the left of it's name. I "checked" this and then re-started Safari. The 1Password button at the top of Safari has re-appeared and now the program appears to be operating Safari properly. I don't believe the 1Password button has been at the top of Safari recently but I'm not sure as I haven't gotten in the habit of using it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lukevan - glad you were able to get it sorted out. 1Password's Safari extension should be enabled when updating, but when it's not, checking Safari's Preferences > Extensions to make sure it's enable there is a good place to start. :)

• raroche
    raroche
    Community Member

I have the exact same problem!! But nothing has fixed is. 1Password 7.2.5, Safari 12.0.3, Mac OS 10.13.6. The problem appeared after the most recent 1Password update. I did a basic maintenance with the Cocktail for Mac software and a full restart - fixed the issue for exactly one web page. When I closed that page and moved to another the extension was missing from Safari's toolbar!!!! It is also not visible in the Safari > Extensions. And of course their is no way to reinstall it. HELP! It works fine in Firefox but that's not my primary browser.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019

@raroche

As far as I'm aware the only troubleshooting step for 1Password not appearing in Safari > Extensions under those conditions is to restart the Mac. I realize you mentioned you've already done that once, and that the extension worked briefly after doing so. I hate to ask... but could you please try restarting again and report back what the outcome is?

P.S. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. As such I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that you're a whole major version behind on your operating system. macOS 10.14 (Mojave) is now available.

Ben

• nysander
    nysander
    Community Member

I have the same problem.

1p - 7.2.5
    Mojave 10.14.3
    Safari 12.0.3

After installing there is no 1p extension in safari extensions tab. Extensions for Firefox and Chrome works as they should and autopaste login data with command\ shortcut.

Removed all 1p data from ~/Library/, rebooted, reinstalled and nothing helped to make it work with safari

• raroche
    raroche
    Community Member

After the 5th restart Safari finally kept it active and visible even if I quit and restart Safari. I am a certified Apple consultant so I run High Sierra on this machine so I can support it more easily. If this become an issue for any of my clients - many run 1Password on my recommendation - I will let you know - thanks Ben

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nysander! Welcome to the forum!

Without touching the ~/Library/ folder, can I please have you try to reboot once again? Do you see the same issue after another reboot?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @raroche!

Thank you for the update! And on behalf of Ben, you are very welcome :)

• erik43
    erik43
    Community Member

I'm afraid I am having the exact same problem, but none of the suggested remedies have worked. I am running the latest (OS 10.14.5) and the latest production 1Password 7 (7.3). I have done nothing, but allow updates for the OS and 1Password 7 to be installed as per normal, but the extension has disappeared in Safari (Safari is also up to date!). I have restarted Safari. I have shutdown all applications and restarted my Mac (2018 MacBook) twice... at least... and still the extension does not appear in the list of Extensions present under Safari PREFERENCES/EXTENSIONS. What can be done to make this work? Since it is no longer a separate extension download and install (i.e. seemingly integrated with the 1Password 7 install, then I can't seem to act on this without de-installing 1Password 7 and re-installing... which I am, of course, reluctant to do! Help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@erik43 - go ahead and uninstall/reinstall 1Password. It won't affect your data (which resides in your Library folder). Make sure you do things in this order:

1. Quit Safari and any other running browsers
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete 1Password 7 for Mac -- don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash.
    4. Empty the trash.
    5. Restart your Mac.
    6. Visit our downloads page and grab a fresh copy of the current 1Password 7 for Mac installer and run it.
    7. You should see all your data once you enter your Master Password; re-open Safari and make sure the 1Password extension is visible in the menubar of Safari. Test to make sure you can save and fill.

Let us know how that works for you.

• the_catweazle
    the_catweazle
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

I have suddenly achieved this problem?
    Late 2009 Mac; 10.13.6; Safari 11.1.2 has after the latest 1PW update (7.3.1) got a red bar across it -- 'inc...ari' and ceases to work. It also ceases to work from the Apple Menu-bar.
    1PW works in all other Browsers?
    The 1PW extension is 7.3 and when I first noticed this I went to Apple and 'installed' the extension thinking it would be overwritten.

Tried: trash 1PW; empty trash; download+reinstall fresh.
    Did this several times. No solution.
    Uninstalled - reinstalled 1PW Extension.
    At one time I was told 'this version 1PW needs Safari update' but there's nothing in Apple updates?
    Also Apple downloaded a 4.7.3 Extension to me?? It appeared underneath the 7.3 Extension.

I don't use Safari much but it's unsettling.

WELL NOW! Apple just informed as the above was submitted that nearly 3 Gigs of updates available! Safari 12.1.1 amongst them fixed the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@the_catweazle: You need to update Safari:

Update or reinstall Safari for your computer

Version 12 was released last year (and is required for the current version of 1Password to work with it), and 13 is on its way in a few months.

If you're unable to update normally, you may need to get in touch with Apple. We can't resolve macOS/Safari update issues for you. But booting into Safe Mode may help. Let us know how it turns out!

• the_catweazle
    the_catweazle
    Community Member

Thanks brenty, sorry @ the bold, tried to fix but post deleted but wasn't??

As said above, after posting I was informed a bunch of updates were available even though they weren't before the post so 12 went in and fixed things.

I reinstalled 10.13.6 last week from Recovery and that's the only way to update Safari so it's somewhat confusing as it put 11.1.2 Safari in.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @the_catweazle! I am glad that brenty's sugestion helped :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• the_catweazle
    the_catweazle
    Community Member

If you read my post the Safari update to 12.1.1 from Apple fixed it not any suggestion helping.

In actual fact the 1PW 7.3.1 update caused the problem so now I'm keeping any future 1PW updates to backtrack if any more problems.

To reiterate, an install of 10.13.6 via Recovery put Safari 11.1.2 in so brenty's suggestion of reinstalling Safari would never have fixed it since 1PW 7.3.1 is incompatible with 11.1.2.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@the_catweazle

Brenty's suggestion was, quoting, "You need to update Safari:". After you updated Safari to version 12, the issue was resolved :)

Anyway, I am happy that everything is working again! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@the_catweazle: You edited your post a few times there. :lol: Anyway, glad to hear you got it sorted! As I mentioned in my previous comment, Safari 12 (at minimum) is required by 1Password releases since last autumn, hence my suggestion to update. ;)

• the_catweazle
    the_catweazle
    Community Member

Thanks brenty.
    As I tried to point out, the 10.13.6 Install Package that I received on an R-recover install contained Safari 11.1.2 so a Safari reinstall wouldn't have helped the 1PW 7.3.1 incompatibility
    Mojave 10.14.5 Install Package contains Safari 12.1.1 so I could have extracted it from there had I had known the incompatibility.

The Update fixed things as 12.1.1 Safari was included.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@the_catweazle

As I tried to point out, the 10.13.6 Install Package that I received on an R-recover install contained Safari 11.1.2

Right. That's why brenty suggested:

You need to update Safari:...Version 12 was released last year (and is required for the current version of 1Password to work with it)

macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) does indeed ship natively with Safari 12, just as the upcoming macOS 10.15 ("Catalina") will ship with Safari 13. This is one of the reasons we recommend users keep all portions of their critical security software (and all software, really) up-to-date: compatibility. As you've noticed, Apple has made it extremely difficult in recent years to install Safari as a standalone download/install instead of as part of an install of the operating system with which it comes. This is intentional, to prevent just the kind of incompatibility you're seeing here. If Apple made available any/all (or even a few) versions of Safari as individual downloads, there would be some percentage of users who would try to pair unrecommended combinations of macOS/Safari -- Yosemite with Safari 13, Safari 11 with Catalina, etc.

In Safari 12, Apple completely changed the extension format for Safari from the older .safariextz format we'd all become accustomed to using over many years to the newer Safari App Extensions. Safari 11 does not have the ability to run this new SAE format of extension. Safari 12 allows users to install the older format OR the newer SAE format...but the upcoming Safari 13 will complete the transition and the older format will not be usable. So, in 1Password 7 for Mac, we made the decision to switch to the newer format with the release of version 7.2 in September of last year. That means: anyone who updates to 7.2 or later will have the newer SAE format of extension...which will not work with any version of Safari older than version 12.0.

That's why brenty correctly suggested that you needed to upgrade Safari. Which, in turn, requires you to upgrade macOS, since Apple does not allow separate downloads/installs of Safari. The problem here was upgrading 1Password for Mac to the very latest version (which is good, and you should do so!) while keeping your copy of macOS and Safari intentionally one entire generation behind. That's where incompatibilities come from, and it's why we urge users to keep everything up-to-date, because the latest versions include security and compatibility fixes often not found in older versions. It is of course each user's choice whether to upgrade (and what to upgrade), but the greatest likelihood of problems comes from trying to keep one or two key parts of your system frozen on older versions from years ago, while you continue to upgrade everything else.

• the_catweazle
    the_catweazle
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, your explanation will be useful to others as I'm sure this problem is not unique.
    Of course I'm one of those who want to be in charge of one's machine rather than forced by manufacturers to upgrade that's why I stuck at iMac 2009, (Eudora) apart from being a Pensioner.

It's more cost-effective for me to take the Hackintosh route and this is in hand where 1PW 7 runs quite happily with 14.5 Mojave and having sorted-out the 15-port USB limit Catalina should be ok, with 32-bit Apps retired.

10.13.6 is the last OS for the late 2009 iMac and it still contains Safari 11.1.2 so there is no 'Apple' way to upgrade to 12 without buying a later machine or extracting it from a Mojave Installer Package. The Safari 'Update' was unexpected, but the problem only affected Safari.

I stuck at 1PW 3 for a long time and it ran, sort-of, for quite a while on Sierra/HS and am very happy with 7 with the problem now understood and fixed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@the_catweazle - I'm wondering whether you may have recently upgraded TO 10.13.6, and done so after you upgraded to Safari 12? That's the only reason I can think of that you wouldn't have been offered the chance to upgrade Safari. There was an issue with exactly that, where users on an earlier version of macOS would download Safari 12 as an update and then update macOS to 10.13.6...and the macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) installer would re-install Safari 11. That would be just an inconvenience, except that the update flag would still be set. In other words, macOS would not offer Safari 12 again as an update because it still registered the original update to 12...even though it had re-installed 11. Hope that was understandable. :)

anyway, if you've upgraded to macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) and solved the problem that way, then you're all set. But for anyone else, if the above sounds like what's happened to you, try the Apple-suggested solution in that link: boot into Safe Mode, and check if you're now able to download Safari 12 again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

10.13.6 is the last OS for the late 2009 iMac and it still contains Safari 11.1.2 so there is no 'Apple' way to upgrade to 12 without buying a later machine or extracting it from a Mojave Installer Package. The Safari 'Update' was unexpected, but the problem only affected Safari.

@the_catweazle: Apple released Safari 12 for both Sierra and High Sierra last year, in addition to Mojave.

• the_catweazle
    the_catweazle
    Community Member

@ Lars - that's quite possible. I reinstalled 10.13.6 some weeks ago 'command-R' as it had been running since release. It makes sense as what came down had Safari 11.1.2. < http://www.iwishihad.com.au/10_13.jpg > The flurry of 3 Gigs updates from Apple is inexplicable being concurrent with this problem. Both my machines run 1PW and HS now with Safari 12, no problem. Mojave also no problem.
    BTW - 1PW gets a bit neurotic on upgrades as it finds versions on my backup drives if I forget to unmount them. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@the_catweazle: Thanks for the additional info. We've definitely seen reports over time about the update not being offered even when it should, hence the suggestion to boot into safe mode to update, which others found helped.

Honestly, we wouldn't care about the extra copies of 1Password, except that often results in macOS launching the wrong one, which causes all kids of headaches for users. So we always recommend keeping only one (there's no point to backing up the app since every version going back years is on our update site) to avoid anything like that, and do a check to inform the user since many people aren't even aware they have more than one. :)

This discussion has been closed.