Can't add family accounts for 1Password for Windows

I currently have 1Password for Windows and it's working fine for my personal vault and my team's work vault. I recently made two separate family accounts, one with my fiance and one with my parents and brother.

When I try to add either of those accounts to my 1Password for Windows, it says that the credentials are incorrect. However, I've successfully logged in with those exact credentials in the browser, as well as on my Android device (where the vaults are now added). Is there some sort of bug related to adding family accounts to 1Password for Windows? Or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using the information provided in the Emergency Kit, and I've made sure that the password I'm entering is correct. I've also scanned the QR code to make sure that the secret key and email are the correct ones. The first account that I added to the 1Password for Windows was my Personal vault, followed by my team's work vault. Is there any sort of way I can see a more detailed error about what exactly is going wrong with the authentication process?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@srisonti: I've got a similar setup, so it definitely works with multiple family (and business/team) accounts. Unfortunately I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the question about error messages. 1Password cannot tell you why authentication fails because it does not know. And it cannot know because account credentials are never sent. (Even if it could know, we wouldn't want it to tell an attacker "password is wrong" because that lets them know that the other credentials are right.)

It sounds like you're able to sign into the website with each of these accounts. Is that correct? If so, it really sounds like something is interfering with the connection the app is trying to make (while allowing the browser to connect normally -- as you'd notice immediately if you could not connect to any websites). Do you have "security" software, VPN, or something else that might be interfering? The connection will be rejected whether due to an actual login failure or an inability to connect securely, and there are different things that can cause that. Let me know what you find.

• srisonti
    srisonti
    Community Member

So I triple-checked that I don't have any firewalls or network issues. Here are all of the things I've tried:

• Checked if Windows Firewall was blocking anything - it wasn't active because my antivirus software, Eset, is managing everything
    • Checked Eset to see if any connections or apps have been blocked lately - nothing was listed. Just to be safe, I went ahead and disabled all Eset network and application services
    • Triple-checked that my VPN (NordVPN) wasn't on
    • Completely uninstalled 1Password (including the Local data) and reinstalled it

After all of the steps above, I was able to log into my personal account but still unable to log into either of my Family accounts. I then tried logging into my team's work vault and it worked just fine. It seems like I'm only having trouble logging into vaults that are specifically Family vaults.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@srisonti: Thanks! First, make sure you're not getting some credentials mixed up between multiple accounts. Sometimes I wish I didn't need so many either, as I do the same thing. Alas. :)

What I'd like you to do is boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try signing in there:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Does that work? If not, we'll need to get some diagnostic information to see if there is something in the logs that gives us a better idea of why it isn't working for you. Let me know what you find.

• Hi guys,

@srisonti Just to be clear, we're not talking about a different member from the same 1Password account, right? You cannot sign in to multiple accounts such as your wife and other family members of the same 1Password Families account. That's a known limitation, 1Password can only sign in one account of the same 1Password "plan". If this is the case, is there a specific reason you're trying to sign in to your other family member's accounts? (Note you're not supposed to know their credentials either, the whole setup of 1Password Families enforce that every family member have their own credentials that no one else knows).

• By the way, I've moved this to our general Windows forums as this thread was originally in our Windows Beta forum.

• MikeT
    edited April 2019

Hi @srisonti,

I figured out the problem, we have a bug. Do you have multiple accounts with the same email address? If yes, see if you can change the email address on the second account, see if that'll let 1Password sign you in.

If yes, we will fix this soon.

ref: opw/opw#3842

• srisonti
    srisonti
    Community Member

Hey there, sorry about not responding. Got swamped with work.

Yes, I have multiple accounts with the same email address. I just tried changing the email for the Family accounts and I was able to log in perfectly. Thanks for the help!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@srisonti: Thank you for the confirmation! We will definitely fix this bug in one of the future updates.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• GustavoPaiva
    GustavoPaiva
    Community Member

This just happend to me. Had to create another account with the same email because I can't join a family with an existing account and now can't log in to first account anymore.

This seems to be a non-sense limitation to not be able to keep with only one account and force us to create multiples account while this still buggy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GustavoPaiva: You're absolutely right. It's not something we're happy with. Hopefully we'll be able to release an update to address this soon, but we do need to test everything thoroughly first, otherwise we may end up fixing some things and breaking others. In the mean time, you can change the email address on any 1Password account, and then you'll just need to sign in using the new one. Thanks for your patience while we work on the next version.

This discussion has been closed.