NextCloud sync - another user leaving

xgregious
xgregious
Community Member

Goodbye!

I’ve been a user for many years, and after carefully researching this issue, I regretfully must conclude that it it time to move on. I am saying farewell forever to Drobbox (thank goodness!!), and I have never once even considered saying ‘hello’ to iCloud (🤮). I appreciate what you have done with 1password.com, but that simply won’t suit my purposes either. The only potential option is to run WLAN sync at home with the vault in my NextCloud directory. ...but at the first frustration with merge or file lock issues, I am going to have to cut ties with 1P.

Yes, please add another hash mark for “user interested in other sync options”, although I’m not optimistic that it well help.

That’s my bit. Thanks for everything. It was good while it lasted.

😕

Comments

• I hope you're able to find a solution better suited to your needs, @xgregious. We're not currently considering other sync options: 1Password.com is the way forward as far as 1Password is concerned, and that is where our efforts are focused. That said, I understand your desire to use NextCloud. Best of luck, and if you ever change your mind we'll be here to help. :)

Ben

• matthias_baier
    matthias_baier
    Community Member

I would also like to move to nextcloud. Basically, moving my sync away from a server I can't control. I have absolutely no clue nor control about what iCloud is storing and transmitting. Sometimes it is just pure chaos with iCloud.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @matthias_baier! Welcome to the forum!

You always have the option to use WLAN sync if you prefer to store everything locally, so you don't even need to manage a separate server :)

• byebye2
    byebye2
    Community Member

Interesting. 1Password and other companies are not getting the point. 1Password is looking at ongoing cash flow, which is a good healthy business practice. But 1Password is not looking at the landscape. Dropbox is being dropped, iCloud is always rainy and Evernote's future looks like NeverNote. Cloud services are failing customers on the whole.

I am not saying that while all these established companies doing cloud storage are failing that somehow 1Password will find a way to make it. But it is not about the revenue (but it is). I don't wish to pay 14 services to store my data, only to have them fail and compromise my security. I don't mind paying for new versions, I just refuse to purchase any more cloud services whether I use them or not.

Sure, 1Password could be profitable for 10 years... then what? What backups exist? What is the data retention? To short, not good. Too long, really bad. It is out of our control, and people who use 1Password use your software to keep control. WLAN doesn't work for mobile people.

Count me out too. Been with you since 2015 (3.8), but other companies have taught me a lesson: Don't trust the corporate file share because your data will be shared corporately, regardless of best intentions.

PS I was actually looking for a solution, I just didn't realize your company's perspective of customers. I did find the solution and that solution was to leave 1Password behind. Thank you for being honest and keeping this post active.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@ag_ana

You always have the option to use WLAN sync if you prefer to store everything locally, so you don't even need to manage a separate server :)

Not for 1Password for Windows v7 in which WLAN Sync is missing. If I return to 1Password v4 for Windows, WLAN Sync is there but there is no 1Password.com support there.

I am not optimistic for WLAN Sync's return on Windows even if I would like to see the feature retained in v7 and in future versions of 1Password for Windows.

• But 1Password is not looking at the landscape.

I'm not sure I'd agree that is a fair assessment.

I don't mind paying for new versions, I just refuse to purchase any more cloud services whether I use them or not.

I would argue that looking at 1Password membership as "just another cloud service" is a rather narrow view. You're paying for new versions, support, etc. You're paying for 1Password, not just another cloud service.

About 1Password membership

WLAN doesn't work for mobile people.

Heh. WLAN sync doesn't work for anybody. It was a reasonable solution at the time it was developed, but times have changed significantly and I can't really think of any circumstances under which I'd recommend it to someone today.

Don't trust the corporate file share because your data will be shared corporately, regardless of best intentions.

We never have your Master Password or Secret Key, which are used to encrypt your 1Password membership data before that encrypted data is sent to us. We can't share what we don't have.

Best of luck @byebye2. If you ever change your mind we'll be here to help.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.