To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't access account, lost 2FA

geemo8733
geemo8733
Community Member

Hello, I've lost access to my account because I've lost access to my 2FA authenticator. I know my login, master password and secret key but can't get any further. Please help me. I would really appreciate it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@geemo8733: Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you may have locked yourself out of your 1Password.com account by not having the authentication code. Is that correct? If so, we may be able to help, but it can a number of days to do so, since there's a verification process and changes that need to be made to your account if everything checks out.

If you are temporarily away from the device where your authentication code is generated, it may be best to wait until you have access to that device again. Alternatively, you could use a device that is already signed in, whether it’s one of the 1Password apps or a browser you’ve signed in with before. The code is only needed when signing into a new device/browser, so you could access your account on an existing device and disable it from there:

1. Click your name in the top right and select My Profile on 1Password.com in a browser where you've already signed in previously
    2. Click More Options on the left and select Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

From there, you can also re-enable 2FA to get a new TOTP secret and set it up again if you wish. Just be sure to save a backup somewhere safe.

Finally, several authenticator apps have backup and recover options. Authy is one example of an app that allows you to recover your 2FA codes if you lose your phone. You can find their instructions here:

https://support.authy.com/hc/articles/115012672088-Restoring-Authy-Access-on-a-New-Lost-or-Inaccessible-Phone

But even if you don’t use Authy, it’s worth checking to see if your authenticator app has options available for recovery.

However, if you're part of a 1Password Teams/Business plan, another admin could help you recover your account, which could allow you to regain access:

https://support.1password.com/recovery

Otherwise, if you won't have access to the device where the authentication code is generated going forward, or any other devices you've already authorized with your 1Password.com account, we'll need you to answer some questions before we can proceed. In that case, please email us at support@1password.com from your account's registered email address and post the Support ID here so we can connect the dots.

• geemo8733
    geemo8733
    Community Member

I've just emailed that address. Issue is I've lost access to the registered email account as well because that was 2FA as well. Please see email I've sent.

• geemo8733
    geemo8733
    Community Member

MLX-12676-747

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll look into and continue the conversation via email.

ref: MLX-12676-747

This discussion has been closed.