Generated Passwords - how to organize them?

avit
avit
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
When I'm on a site and I need to generate a new password (e.g. for a mysql database user in my cpanel), this gets saved into a separate section called Generated Passwords, shown right above the trash can.

How can I fill in the additional fields like the server name, and organize them by tag or by type? (Database/Email Account, FTP Account, etc.)

Why are these passwords kept separate from the rest? (I must be missing something about the way these are supposed to work.)

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    avit wrote:
    When I'm on a site and I need to generate a new password (e.g. for a mysql database user in my cpanel), this gets saved into a separate section called Generated Passwords, shown right above the trash can.

How can I fill in the additional fields like the server name, and organize them by tag or by type? (Database/Email Account, FTP Account, etc.)

Why are these passwords kept separate from the rest? (I must be missing something about the way these are supposed to work.)

Welcome to the forums, avit!

Anytime, and from anywhere, that 1Password generates a password for you it will store that information into a new Generated Password item. It has a Title, a Where (purpose, URL, description, whatever you want to think it relates to) and the password itself. These items are unchangeable in your data file, although you can delete them if you're sure you have them someplace else.

If you're using the Strong Password Generator for a server like in your example you should copy the password into a new Accounts vault record specific to the kind of server (we offer many templates to choose from) and that's where you can put IP addresses, secret passphrases, etc. along with the generated password. Once you have an Account item established you can delete the Generated Password item or you can leave it alone... your choice. The Generated Passwords are a "fail safe" if you will for cases like this.

For web page login forms the values and fields are automatically saved for you in a Logins item, including any generated passwords that were inserted into the web form.
This discussion has been closed.