Lost Emergency Kit - Do not Have Secret Key

rafaelreinehr
rafaelreinehr
Community Member
edited March 2019 in Lounge

Dear Friends at 1Password.

I have not been using 1Password a while. Being honest, i never really used it since i bought the license, maybe in 08/09/2017, since the recurring payment came in 08/09/2018.

I really do not know where i put the Emergency Kit. The computed i already had (Macbook pro) was lost because it get too much rain, and i was not able to recover the data, so i cannot find the .pdf of the emergency kit. I remember to print in paper in 2017, but after that i moved home and it get lost somewhere in the mess of many many boxes with many many paper and i really do not know where to find it.

I tried to enter in the 1Password account with my usual passwords, but there's no possibility to enter without a secret key.

Remember that i do not have any of the hardwares that i had back in 2017 working now. Only an old PC with Windows Vista on it...

I need to know how to procced, or to be able to access the 1Password account to make it useful to me or, if that's not possible, how to cancel the signature for 1Password so not to have recurring billings of something that i'm unable to use.

Here are the data i have:

[removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum]

Kind regards,

Rafael

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

@rafaelreinehr: Thanks for contacting us. I'm really sorry that you've had so much trouble, not just with 1Password, but the computer, etc.

(Un)fortunately we don't ever have either your Secret Key or Master Password, as that wouldn't be very secure at all. The Master Password is chosen by you, and the Secret Key is generated locally on your device. Neither is ever transmitted. We don't have access to your data can't recover either of these for you. You would be able to find your Secret Key in one of the following places though:

I hope you're able to find your Emergency Kit, or have another authorized device where you can view your Secret Key. Did you maybe give a copy of the Emergency Kit to a family member, or with your bank? Otherwise it will not be possible to login to your 1Password Account. But if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

But, to be clear, you would not be able to access your data by signing in anyway if you never used the account and didn't store it there in the first place. We also won't be able to recover your data, as we never have access to it. If you don't have it stored anywhere else, you will need to start over. There just isn't any way around that. But if you'll let me know what you have to work with, I'll be happy to help walk you through things.

Did you backup your 1Password data at some point?

https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

Did you copy it to other devices, or sync it somewhere?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

I do hope that there is something we can work with, but I'll follow up with you via email in case you do need to cancel the account and start over, so you're not paying for something you cannot use.

ref: CAV-94681-217

• rafaelreinehr
    rafaelreinehr
    Community Member

Dear Brenty, thanks for your answer. As i said, I never used the 1Password account, then there's no problem to reset it. I do not have the hardwares i used to have the time i created the account (Smartphone and Notebook are different).

So, please help me through the proceedings to start from scratch with my 1password account!

• @rafaelreinehr

This page should help:

Having Trouble Signing in?

Enter your email address and click 'continue.' If you have any 1Password accounts under the email address you've entered you'll receive an email with a link to verify your email address. Click that link, then follow the on-screen instructions to delete your membership. Once complete you can sign up for a new one:

1Password — Password Manager for Teams, Businesses, and Families

As the last step of the process you'll be prompted to download your Emergency Kit. I'd highly recommend printing it, writing in your Master Password, and storing it somewhere safe (e.g. a fire safe).

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.