How do I use the password generator on iOS?

junin919
junin919
Community Member
edited September 2017 in iOS

do i need a premium acc then can generate password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:do i need a premium acc then can generate password?

Comments

• Hi @junin919,

I'm not sure what you mean by a premium account, but no purchase is required to use the password generator on iOS. You can learn about how to use it here:

Change your passwords and make them stronger - 1Password Support

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• junin919
    junin919
    Community Member

Hi, if within 1password app how do u generate password? Cuz the link u give me only tells on website

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

You want to generate a password for something within the iOS app @junin919? Any time you edit a current entry or make a new item there is a button that says "Generate New Password". You will still have to change the password for the website through your browser or through an app though.

• junin919
    junin919
    Community Member

ya tats right how?

• @junin919,

Launch and unlock the 1Password app, tap the Categories tab, tap the "+" button, tap Password, and then tap "Generate New Password."

Thanks!

Ben

• junin919
    junin919
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

when i unlock 1password under + i dont see password
    pls help

• In that case select Login instead. The Password field of Login items has the same "Generate New Password" option.

Ben

• stefanradev
    stefanradev
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    I have this question too. It seems not to work in IOS. In the last version of 1Password to generate a new password you have to go to this steps of creation of new account which is annoying.
    And: where can I adjust in IOS the length and characters of the password generation.
    I wish to have one new generated password prior to make a login of XX site, but actually I can’t

• That's correct. Generating a password in 1Password for iOS requires creating an item in 1Password that has a password field on it. There isn't an independent password generator -- it is only available in the password field(s) on items.

Ben

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member

Hi. I am wondering the designed workflows for a new account on website and on iPhone and Android.
    Online (Chrome on Windows) I find that allowing 1Password to fill in a new password on a registration page leaves the login unuseful.
    So I have adopted the arduous process of:
    1) Generate new password with the extension and copy that to a notepad
    2) Paste that into the registration form (twice usually)
    3) Logout of the site
    4) Back to Login page; fill it in; tell 1Password to save it

Worse... on the iPhone... best I can find is the do the Share to 1Password option and the Generate Password... but I find no way to Copy the new password.... And I find no way to do this from an iPhone app the first time I use it.

My Wife uses Android (uggg) and we have not figured out how to do anything on there....
    (It took me 2 years to get her to use 1Password so this is embarrassing)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Online (Chrome on Windows) I find that allowing 1Password to fill in a new password on a registration page leaves the login unuseful.

@thomasoatman: Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by this. :)

More generally, with regard to changing passwords, I'd start by creating a new Login item with your existing login credentials for the website, and then proceed to go through the website's password change process. They're all different, but this guide can help give you a general overview of doing a password change with login credentials stored in 1Password on each platform:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

With the existing Login item saved in 1Password, you'll just need to edit it and generate a new password from the password field. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have questions! :)

Also,

on the iPhone... best I can find is the do the Share to 1Password option and the Generate Password... but I find no way to Copy the new password.... And I find no way to do this from an iPhone app the first time I use it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. We definitely don't recommend "sharing" passwords except via a secure communications channel, but if you'll let me know what you're trying to accomplish maybe I can offer some suggestions. :)

• bethanwhite
    bethanwhite
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, I can confirm the same problem that @thomasoatman was experiencing (unless you've found a sollution)? Say e.g. creating an account for an app newly-installed on iOS (thus creating account in the app, not through a website in a browser). The only way to create a password seems to be to open 1Password, go to Passwords -> add new, then hit 'generate'. The problem then is that there is no way to copy the newly-generated password in order to go back to the app that you're creating an account for and paste it there. That's not trying to 'share' a password, that's trying to export the newly-created password out of 1Password into the new app account that you're trying to set up. If you long press the password to 'select all', the only option that comes up is 'paste'.

So it looks like the only way to use 1Password to generate a password for a new app in iOS is to remember the password (or write it down...) and manually enter it in the app in which you're creating a new account.

I've only had 1Password for a couple of weeks and this aspect of it is a real drawback. Maybe we're missing something?

• Hi @bethanwhite. I would not, generally, expect that to be the experience. Could you please provide an example of an app you've had trouble with? I'd like to run through the process with an app that gave you trouble so that hopefully I can see what you're experiencing. The first step to resolving any issue is reproducing it. :) Thanks!

Ben

• bethanwhite
    bethanwhite
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Hi @Ben, my bad, I've played a bit more and the problem is that after hitting the 'generate new password' button I was trying to copy that newly-generated password (by hitting long press to 'select all', but then not finding any option to copy). After a lot of trial and error it seems I have to hit the 'Done' button for the 1Password app to save that new password to the clipboard.

I got there eventually but I wouldn't say it's particularly intuitive, especially because the long press immediately after password generation throws up an option to 'select all' but then nothing at all after that.

I should have made it more clear, this is entirely within the 1Password app and nothing to do with any external app. The only part the external app has to play is that I'm trying to create a new account within said app (on iOS 12.4, iPhone 8) and use 1Password to create the password.

• Thanks for the update @bethanwhite. I'm glad to hear you were able to get this sorted out. We do appreciate the feedback and will continue to evaluate how we can make the process easier. One thing I might recommend would be to use the autofill interface to save these records. You may find that more convenient than copying and pasting:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For what it's worth, when you create a new Login (covered in the guide Ben linked) with 1Password, the password generator is right there, and when you save it it is automatically copied. It's not possible for 1Password (or any iOS app) to be available anytime anywhere, but I find that much more convenient than manually switching back and forth and copying. Cheers! :)

• bethanwhite
    bethanwhite
    Community Member

@Ben I've already got autofill set up and running for existing accounts, the confusion I had was specifically over the generation of new passwords for new accounts created on apps (and it sounds like the earlier posts on this thread refer to that as well). Whilst I find new account password generation and login saving a super easy process on a website with the Firefox plugin, it's a much more onerous (and far less intuitive) process for accounts created for phone apps. Further, creating a new login or password in the 1Password app asks for the website address to be input, which isn't necessarily something you have to hand (or even need) when creating a new app-based account.

@brenty I think we're actually talking about the same process, it just wasn't obvious to me that I needed to hit 'done' in order to copy the new password to memory in order to paste over into the other app (for the reasons stated in my last post). I'm also not sure what you mean by "it's not possible for 1Password to be available anytime anywhere" - presumably you're not referring to being able to access any saved logins?!

• We appreciate the feedback @bethanwhite. Hopefully we can find ways to improve the experience with autofill in non-browser 3rd party apps. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.