Not able to log multiple issues/questions on the forum at one go

Abhijit
Abhijit
Community Member

If I have noted the issues during working and decide to log them during say evening at one go we have a restriction as below for forum:

"You have posted 1 times within 120 seconds. A spam block is now in effect on your account. You must wait at least 300 seconds before attempting to post again."

Please find a solution to my use case. The assumption that one person can not log two questions one after another is not practical.
This is very frustrating.

Thanks,
Abhijit

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Abhijit

I apologize for the frustration. The spam controls that are in place are necessary to help prevent the forum from being overrun by spam bots. I'll suggest to the team that we consider re-evaluating the timings, but we have done so in recent history and determined they were set at the appropriate level to keep spam at a minimum. If you're running up against this frequently you may want to consider moving your conversations with us to email: support@1password.com

Because this is a public venue we have to be extra careful about keeping spam and other cruft to a minimum. It would be a nightmare if a spammer/phisher were able to lure a 1Password customer to click on a link to something nefarious as a result of being able to post on our forum, as an example.

It is very unfortunate that these controls got in the way of you being able to post legitimate feedback, and I do apologize for that, but we do offer other methods of communication. We just ask that for each issue you pick one and stick with it. E.g. please don't post on the forum and also email about the same issue unless requested to do so as this can lead to a duplication of efforts, which slows down support for everyone.

ben

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Thank you Ben!! Agreed! And great reply as always!!

Having said that I think that there are better and intelligent ways to detect spammers/phishing or fraudulent attempts to post than blocking legitimate users.

And you always have a data and context of the user who is submitting the questions. We should learn from it. So making an assumption that any user irrespective of who he is (I understand hackers can hack the accounts too) can spam us is not legitimate.

Or we should put the blocker after say 3 posts and 3 questions one after another is very legitimate scenario.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Also If I email you an issue/question, can that automatically become a forum post also?

If yes, great!! If not, why not?

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

I am sorry this post is not directly link to product but we now are a service company and not a product anymore, if you agree.

I hope you understand me. Please do not misunderstand.

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• Having said that I think that there are better and intelligent ways to detect spammers/phishing or fraudulent attempts to post than blocking legitimate users.

There are perhaps smarter systems out there, but I'm not aware of any that work with our forum system (Vanilla Forums). I certainly can't justify suggesting that we move the entire forum to a new system to work around this small limitation which affects at most a handful of customers. :)

Or we should put the blocker after say 3 posts and 3 questions one after another is very legitimate scenario.

We've looked at that, but determined that the amount of spam let in with that change would far outweigh the number of legitimate posts that have issues. We may be able to re-evaluate that again in the future, but last time we looked (which was fairly recently) that was the case.

Also If I email you an issue/question, can that automatically become a forum post also?

No.

If yes, great!! If not, why not?

The forum and email are totally separate systems. The forum is public and emails are private. The two don't have integration / interaction with each other. Additionally, as I alluded to above, having the same question from the same person both in the forum and by email is less than ideal as it tends to make more work for us and have no benefit for the customer which means a worse support experience for everyone.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Abhijit: We're using the tools available to us, with regard to spam. You're welcome to do the same, as far as support: as Ben mentioned already, you can email us at support@1password.com any time. Otherwise, you'll need to be patient and understand that this is a public support forum with measures in place to prevent it becoming like...well, much of the rest of the internet. You probably feel comfortable posting here in large part to how clean we keep it. If not, I know others appreciate that, and you're a beneficiary nonetheless. We can't really have it both ways...but if the worst thing that happens is that you cannot post every 299 seconds, that really doesn't seem like such a terrible thing. I'd encourage you to use the time to compose a single, complete message, instead of posting one every minute -- which one might argue is the definition of spam. :) Again, you're welcome to reach out via email if you're having trouble staying on the windy side of the spam filter. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.