To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Standalone license unusable since V7

JohanvL
JohanvL
Community Member

I couldn't use V4 in my Chrome browser, so I read here that I would have to update to V7, which I did. Now my standalone license is unusable, because V7 is now "read only"... How can this be fixed?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JohanvL! Welcome to the forum! :)

We will be happy to help you with this. I noticed that you also sent us an email about this issue. So we don't duplicate the answers, we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

• JohanvL
    JohanvL
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana .. no problem! (I responded in another thread, but then decided to start my own)...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• JohanvL
    JohanvL
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Any updates on this..?
    Is there a way to "downgrade"?

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out...

• JohanvL
    JohanvL
    Community Member

I turned off V7 and reinstalled v4. It's running again.. but when I removed the browser extension for Firefox and installed the V4 extension again, it starts ok, but then turns grey and it's not working. How can this be fixed?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JohanvL - glad you got things sorted on your own! So others reading this thread are aware, we don't recommend "downgrading." When a new version of 1Password (on any platform) is released, we recommend all users who have hardware and OS versions capable of running it upgrade as quickly as possible. Old versions of any software encounters increasing compatibility issues as time progresses, not to mention the fact that once a new full version is released (like from 1Password 6 for Windows to 1Password 7 for Windows) the older version enters legacy status and won't receive development attention of any kind in the future. We recommend all 1Password users keep their critical software (browser, OS version and 1Password version) up-to-date. Let us know if you have any questions!

• JohanvL
    JohanvL
    Community Member

@Lars I understand. The issue is that when I used V7, all of a sudden it's all about accounts, memberships, etc, while I have a standalone license. Yes, I was able to pull up the accounts I had, but was not able to save new ones anymore. This forced me to downgrade... (.. after which my desktop app is working again, but not my browser extension... and I believe they're both latest V4 version.. )

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JohanvL - we do still sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Windows -- you should've been presented with the Purchase Options screen after installing version 7, it looks like this and there's a link near the bottom for purchasing a standalone license:

Obviously, you're welcome to do that if you prefer, and standalone licenses are currently still available at the "launch special" price of $49.99, which is over 23% off the eventual full retail price of $64.99. However, especially if you have family who also use 1Password, I'd strongly recommend 1Password Families for you. Even at the "launch special" price, each person will need his/her own license to use 1Password, and that can get expensive quickly, especially when you take into account the fact that we release new versions every couple of years or so. A 1Password Families membership, by contrast, costs $59.88/yr ($4.99/mo) and includes access to ALL four of our apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) including all future upgrades at no extra cost for as long as you maintain the membership, so everyone in the family can use 1Password no matter what configuration of devices they use. But you also get the best 1Password experience and security, our most trouble free and stable syncing (through the 1password.com servers), and many more features that are only possible with a 1password.com account, including drop-dead simple sharing of items among family members. Let me know if you have questions. :)

• JohanvL
    JohanvL
    Community Member

lol @ @Lars .. nice sales talk.. :)
    Anyway..it's not nice that a standalone license is only for 1 version. I was under the impression when I purchased this years ago, that it would be a 1 price deal. Now you basically say "thank you for your license.. but now you need a new license...", which makes the standalone license a complete joke. So you just FORCE me to get a new license or sign up for a membership.
    Yes, I could still use V4, but the browser plugin for Firefox is broken (just stays grey.. no matter what version I throw at it) and don't even start about Chrome (which is the only thing I was even looking around for V7, since everything was working fine before..)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019

Anyway..it's not nice that a standalone license is only for 1 version.

That has always been the deal with licenses. They never expire -- you can use the version you're licensed for as long as you'd like, but upgrades require a separate purchase.

which makes the standalone license a complete joke.

I agree that membership offers a much better value.

In any event, the question has been answered: 1Password 7 requires either a new license or a membership with the latter being the recommended path forward. If anyone has any questions about their specific situation I'd recommend reaching out to our sales team at sales@1password.com.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.