Add option to offer to fill on focus without save/update

Background
I work with a lot of administrative backends online, and often fill in password fields that are not mine, and that I do not want to save to 1Password. I do however want to be able to use the autofill option on field focus for login forms, just not when updating passwords. But, as it stands right now, that doesn't seem to be possible.

I could just ignore the suggestion to save the password and only use the autofill menu when logging in, but since the autofill menu very often obscures the next field or the form submit button, it's really something that I wish that I could turn off without losing the autofill menu when logging in:

Proposed solution
The current setting reads

[ ] Offer to fill and save passwords

I would love for this option to be divided in two options:

[ ] Offer to fill passwords
[ ] Offer to save passwords

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 1.14.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @insats,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and welcome to the forums! 👋

I see exactly what you mean. It would be great to have more control over when the inline menu appears. One of the ideas we were kicking around was to allow you to disable the automatic appearance on a per-website basis. It's still just an idea but I think this would address your issue in a cleaner way than changing how the settings work. I wonder if you feel the same way? 🙂

++dave;

• insats
    insats
    Community Member

Sure, that could work. For me personally, I'd prefer being able to turn off the offer to save passwords. But maybe that's just because of my preference to never automatically add stuff to 1Password. I always add/edit manually because addresses are often not the same on registration / edit account pages as they are on login pages so I end up having to clean the data anyhow.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @insats,

While Dave mulls over the various options I wonder if the following configuration would help at all?

In 1Password X's settings have Offer to fill and save passwords enabled and Show autofill menu on field focus disabled. At least for me when I do this it means the field has the 1Password X badge but the inline menu doesn't appear. That should allow for easy field selection with the mouse if that's your preference. It does still lack the prompting to fill that you really want but as well as clicking on the badge, if you use the down arrow key it will activate 1Password X's inline menu for the active field. I wonder if that might help make things a little easier with the current version of 1Password X.

• insats
    insats
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables yes, I'd say that's is a good enough solution for me. Not perfect, but good enough. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

I do like to try and help get what you can out of how 1Password currently works so it isn't just the hope of a future change. Feedback is always appreciated though :smile:

This discussion has been closed.