2FA with Duo to log into 1Password not working on Samsung devices?

justdave
justdave
Community Member

My company uses Duo for 2FA on our workplace 1Password accounts. I'm unable to sign into it on either of my Samsung devices (Galaxy S8 and a Galaxy Tab S2) because the 2FA screen never completes loading. My helpdesk tells me they can't reproduce it - but they apparently only have a Google Pixel to try it on, and it works fine for them there.

This is a regression, it worked fine until a couple weeks ago. I notice there was an update on March 13th? Is that to blame?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.0
Sync Type: 1Password @ Work

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@justdave: I'm not sure it's a "regression" since we'd be probably be hearing from everyone else using Duo with 1Password for Android, but it's certainly worth exploring why this is happening on your devices. :) What we most often see with Samsung devices is that some other software interferes with things like this -- both from a networking perspective and with the UI. Sometimes this is Samsung's custom options, but it's also not unheard of to have 3rd party "security" software and settings that modify the UI or filter communications cause something like that either. But without more information it's hard to say for sure. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. That might help identify what we're looking for, since we haven't seen something like this ourselves. I'm not sure what "screen" you're even referring to. Also, if you have VPN, firewall, antivirus, or something changing the display please try disabling it temporarily to see if that allows the connection to Duo to succeed and/or allows the prompt. Thanks in advance! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@justdave: Also, while we haven't changed anything in 1Password related to two-factor authentication, it looks like Duo has recently:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duosecurity.duomobile&hl=en

I'm not sure if their requirements have changed either, which could affect you on an outdated OS. I'd encourage you to open the actual Duo app to try to approve the sign in, as I'm seeing reports in different places around the web that that works. And while we don't have any control over their software or service, I'm sure they'd appreciate knowing about the trouble you're having, in case there's something that can be improved. Either way, let me know what you find. :)

• justdave
    justdave
    Community Member

There's an option on the authentication screen to choose which way to autheticate (enter a token or send a push). I'm not getting far enough to make that choice, so there's nothing in Duo to approve yet. Here's some screenshots. This is inside the 1Password app (two of these are on the tablet, one on the phone). On the one where you can see the buttons (but they're missing all the styling) the buttons don't do anything when you tap them.

• justdave
    justdave
    Community Member

Just to clarify, I get some variant of the above three every time (either nothing, or minimal non-functional UI), it never completely loads.
    I don't have anything installed that interferes with the screen that I'm aware of.

• justdave
    justdave
    Community Member

For reference, here's what that screen is supposed to look like (captured via my desktop browser)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@justdave: Ah, thanks so much for clarifying! I'm really sorry that I misunderstood. We have a workaround that should help with this which we'll be publishing in an update via the Google Play store shortly. :)

• justdave
    justdave
    Community Member

Just picked up the update. It works!! Thanks a bunch!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thank you so much for confirming! I saw that it went out last night, but it can sometimes take a bit for it to propagate through the Play store. Glad that showed up for you quickly! :chuffed:

ref: android-481

This discussion has been closed.