Enhancement Request on Mac with touchId - Use fingerprint in Safari when vault is not unlocked

telephoneman
telephoneman
Community Member

Hi all, I found an annoying issue in 1password Mac
The following use case is kind of "annoying"
1. Start 1Password mini in Background and do NOT unlock the 1password vault
2. start safari and browse to a website where you need to login
3. enter login credentials manually or use iCloud Keychain in Safari -->1Password recognizes that password was entered and asks to unlock 1password via master password - but it does NOT asking to unlock with touchid

Request is in that login window also Touch ID is supported and not only MasterPassword

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman - that's going to be a function of whether you've recently-enough used Touch ID to unlock 1Password -- not macOS or anything else. If you have, you'll get the Touch ID prompt (or you should). If you haven't, you'll get the Master Password prompt, like you do when you open the main app and see "your Master Password is required to enable Touch ID."

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Hi @Lars , I dont get you :) I mean I get that prompt for touch ID when I open the App from dock, also when I click the mini on top bar and also when I click the button of plugin in Safari. All fine I can use the finger
    But I DONT get it, when the safari browser plugin by himself recognizes an entered password in Safari - in that auto appearing popup I am asked to enter masterpassword but no finger. I can reproduce on two Macs.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman - actually, you're right; this one is something we have indeed had on our radar screen for a while now. You do need to have signed in recently-enough that Touch ID is active in 1Password...but if you have done that, you should get the Touch ID prompt, and right now you don't (in this particular scenario only). Thanks for reporting, and for your patience with us while this one's still on the list. For the meantime, I'd suggest...well, unlocking. It's something you only have to do once unless you lock intentionally or hit one of your auto-lock conditions (sleep, screen saver, X number of minutes). Doing so will not only have the benefit of allowing you to use Touch ID instead of having to enter your Master Password, it will also keep you from getting save dialogues for items you already have saved in 1Password. When 1Password is locked, it can't tell what items you have saved (because they're encrypted).

ref: apple-3292

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

hello @Lars thanks a lot. Anyway It would be great if you implement that inconsistent detail soon 😊

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman - it's not for lack of wanting to, it's more a question of available developer cycles and other (higher) priorities. Since I don't set those priorities, all I can say is we will if and when we can. :) :+1:

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

hello @Lars maybe you can set it on backlog in anyway - if they put it down in ranking than it is what it is, but at least a chance they might fix it

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @telephoneman,

We have indeed shared your feedback with the developers :)

This discussion has been closed.