Merging Personal and Primary

Options
cjsogle
cjsogle
Community Member

Like others I have got in a mess with 1P7 transition as the process of making this move was WAY too confusing. I have ended up with a Primary and Personal account and have only worked out now that it is the Personal account that syncs not the Primary. Confusing nomenclature from the get-go. Anyway I think that I finally understand the structure but since I have been travelling heavily, on my MacBook, I have ended up with a lot of new and more worryingly, updated passwords in the Primary Vault (stored on Dropbox and where I thought I was syncing to).

Am I able to do a true MERGE, in other words update the more records affected to to the most recent passwords, add the newly added records AND not end up with my library of over 1000 logins DUPLICATED??? I'm in a mess and need help. Incidentally my wife account is in a similar mess....hopefully the solution for mine will help me fix hers as well.

thanks
Chris

PS Personally I thought it was all working rather well under 1P6 although I realise it didnt offer the revenue boost that the subscription serves. I have been recommending 1P to friends and family for many a year, but have since stopped - don't like the change at all.

1Password Version: AND
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cjsogle - I'm sorry for the confusion. The transition is less about going from version 6 to version 7 than it is from leaving the standalone model and going to a 1password.com membership. But it certainly increases the possibility of confusion when both are done at the same time, as is possible with 1Password 7 for Mac.

The best way to do this, if you still have both your local Primary vault and your 1password.com membership within 1Password 7 for Mac will be this:

• Switch to the Primary vault. Sort the items in the Primary vault using the sort menu at the top of the item list (set it to Date Modified):

• Look for everything that's been modified in this local Primary vault since you began your 1password.com account

• Use these instructions to move over any items that are new or changed
    • Combine duplicates by cutting/pasting then eliminate unneeded items.
  • TB5918
    TB5918
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Doing this manually is a huge pain. I have a Personal and Primary, and now have to manual go through over 450 logins to see which is updated and delete numerous duplicates. There should be an automatic process that would merge the most recent logins to one unified vault. Considering this is a paid service, I am very unhappy with all the confusion and extra work that you've added. It's things like this that drive customers to alternative services.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @TB5918! I'm sorry for the confusion. When you upgrade from a standalone setup to a 1password.com account, if you do this in the context of the 1Password for Mac app, your data will be migrated automatically, and upon successful completion, you'll be asked to remove your old, now-redundant Primary vault. If you choose NOT to do that last bit (removing the Primary vault), then you will indeed have two copies of your data. And as time passes, if you change, add or delete data in both places, it can become something of a mess.

The instructions I have above are the only real way to address this, since we never want 1Password to be deciding for you algorithmically which copy of your data is "correct" or which one you want. 1Password can't know which items are duplicates, since the UUIDs are different once you've transferred them. That's why you have to specifically choose not to remove your Primary vault -- because the items DO have different UUIDs after having being moved, and there's no need to keep two copies.

You shouldn't have to go through all of your logins, however. If you open each vault individually, and set the sort order to Date Modified, you should be able to see what's been added or changed, and unless it's either been quite a long time since you created your 1password.com account or you've done an unusual amount of data creation/editing since then, you'll likely have only a few to maybe a dozen or two...and those should be sorted right to the top, where it's (relatively) easy to compare them to their counterparts in the other vault and make decisions about which copy to keep or what to edit. Hope that helps! :)

• Ben
    Options

Hi @TB5918

I do apologize for the inconvenience. There is an automatic process. When migrating your data initially you would've been prompted to delete the Primary vault. Unfortunately we give folks the option to skip it, and a number of people do (either unintentionally or for fear of 'messing things up'). As such we're evaluating removing the choice and making it an entirely automated process.

Thanks for the feedback. I realize it does nothing to help right now, but hopefully some of the changes we're looking at will make this a smoother process for the future.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.