all apple, want to sync to iCloud - two accounts Primary not up to date

Options
tomaso
tomaso
Community Member

I want to iCloud sync my iPassword 7. I'm All apple. Somehow I have two accounts Primary & Personal. Personal is up to date Primary is not. I think I can only iCloud sync "Primary", how can I bring it up to date to match "personal"? Do I need two accounts? I'll use Primary but do not know how to sync it with the up to date "personal" account? Once they are in sync .. maybe I can delete the "personal" account. Both account show up on my Mac, IPad & iPhone. Thanks for your help. Tom

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:all Apple, want to sync to iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tomaso! Welcome to the forum!

Primary is a standalone vault, while Personal is the vault included in a 1Password Membership. Normally, if you use a Membership, you would only use your Personal vault, and you would remove your old Primary vault to avoid duplicates or vaults going out of sync (because, at the end of the day, only one of the two vaults will be your main one).

So the question is: would you like to keep using your 1Password Membership account or your standalone version?

• Rupertboyd
    Rupertboyd
    Community Member
    Options

which is better? to use iCloud or the Personal vault? mine are now in a mess with duplicates in both. The problem is that because updated passwords are only stored in one vault many of my items now conflict? Can you advise how to clean this up and which vaults I should use. I have a 1 password membership and use iMac, MacBook Pro, Ipad and iPhone? I use 1password on all of them.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Rupertboyd! If you created a 1password.com account/membership, you should use that vault, since that's what you're paying for, and it's by far the easiest and most stable way to use 1Password (once you get everything set up, anyway!). When you upgraded to a 1password.com account within 1Password for Mac, the data that was previously in your standalone (iCloud-synced) vault was transferred to your 1password.com vault, and you'd have been urged to remove the now-redundant Primary (standalone) vault. It sounds as if you declined to do that last part. No worries, let's get that squared away!

Depending on when you created your 1password.com account and how much data you've changed in both vaults, you may have some cleanup to do, but here's the general approach:

1. In 1Password 7 for Mac, choose your Primary (iCloud-synced) vault, and set the sort order at the top of the item list to Date Modified. This will give you a descending list of when you modified (added, changed) items. Select any items that have been modified since you created your 1password.com account, and use these instructions to move those changed items over into your 1password.com vault.
    2. Take care of any duplicated items by merging or deleting any duplicates in the 1password.com vault only.
    3. Once you're certain you've got what you would describe as a complete and up-to-date copy of your data in the 1password.com vault, use these instructions to remove the Primary vault (you can skip #1 since you're already signed in).
    4. On your other devices, do the same thing; the instructions for 1Password for iOS are here.

Let me know how you get on! :)

• Rupertboyd
    Rupertboyd
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Lars. I went through your instructions and ...all sorted. thank you again!

• Rupertboyd
    Rupertboyd
    Community Member
    Options

One more question is how I can give my wife access to my shared vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019
    Options

@Rupertboyd - if you have a 1Password Families account, each member of the family will get his/her own Private vault (like you have) that only they can see/use, plus access to the family-wide Shared vault.

The way to set this up is to invite your wife. She'll receive an email from us on your behalf, with a special link to join your 1Password Families account. Once she's gone through the same setup process you did, you'll receive notification that her account is awaiting confirmation. Confirm her account, and she'll be a full member of your 1Password Families account. You should also give consideration to making your wife a Family Organizer (which is what you yourself are by default). That way, if you get locked out of your account due to a forgotten Master Password or lost Secret Key, she can help you recover your account, just like you can help her recover hers in a similar situation.

This discussion has been closed.