Safari Extension for v.6?

Options
penglish
penglish
Community Member

I opened Safari today and the 1Password extension is gone. When I go look for it, all I see is the option to download v.7. The installer for v.7 does not have an option to just install the Safari extension. Is 1Password no longer supporting v.6? It was working fine yesterday...

I don't really need a sales pitch for v.7. I'm not really seeing any benefit to me in v.7, and from the sounds of it moving over is mostly headaches.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: this is the issue.
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @penglish! Fortunately for you, you've come to the 1Password support forum, not the sales forum, so you're in the right place. :) I will say that from a support perspective (actually, a company-wide perspective) we can't do anything but recommend that users keep their devices as up-to-date as possible, in terms of both the OS and 1Password. But we recognize that people may for various reasons want or need to stick with legacy versions of our software, which is OK...right up until it isn't, any longer.

What I mean is not that it becomes "not OK any longer" with us, but that it's nearly impossible to keep only one thing on a device stuck on a legacy version while you continue to upgrade everything else around it. If a person buys new hardware, updates the OS and related technologies, eventually, 1Password (or whatever program they're trying to remain on a previous version of) will break due to incompatibility. Sometimes that happens sooner than other times.

If you've upgraded to the just-released macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), then you also were upgraded to Safari 12, as that's what Mojave shipped with. With version 12, Apple has retired the .safariextz-style extensions that were what 1Password (and every other maker of extensions) had been using in Safari 11 and earlier versions, in favor of a new type of extension called Safari App Extensions. These should provide several benefits, but it means that if you're running Safari 12, you need to be using versions of apps that use Safari App Extension format. Version 7.2 of 1Password does exactly that...but the legacy version 6.8.9 does not. That means you've got only two realistic choices here: upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, or use a different browser (Chrome or Firefox, which obviously do not use the new Safari App Extension). Beyond that, only downgrading your OS back to 10.13.6 by restoring from a backup would allow you to use 1Password 6.8.9 for Mac with Safari. Let us know if you have any questions or need assistance with anything.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@penglish - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help clarify things. :)

• Jonathanm1
    Jonathanm1
    Community Member
    Options

The simple reason people don't want to go to V7 is that you have to pay again...eg when I purchased my mac...it came with mountain lion...I think I have been through 4 different upgrades since then...now onto Mojove...have not paid a dime for these...this is not rocket science...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jonathanm1 - of course; it's definitely not rocket science. Nobody wants to pay more than they have to, and "free" is always good.

But perhaps it does require a little further examination. To use your own example, Apple makes its money when you purchase the hardware they sell you; the OSes which run on that hardware (macOS and iOS) are useless without the hardware. That's why Apple can make them "free": because only people who own Apple's hardware can make any use of it, and the cost of continuing to develop/maintain/secure macOS and iOS is quite literally baked into the cake of the purchase price you pay for the hardware. If you think you're not paying for macOS and iOS, you're wrong -- it's just that there's no measurable, separate cost, so it's easy to miss or even trick oneself into believing it doesn't exist.

Let's flesh out your example a bit further. You say you purchased a Mac that came preinstalled with OS X Mountain Lion (10.8). That would mean your purchase date would have been between July 25, 2012 when Mountain Lion was first released, and October 22, 2013 when Mavericks (10.9) was released. In other words, your Mac is between five and six years old. I'm glad it's still working for you; Macs tend to be great like that. But a five or six-year old computer (even a Mac) is pretty old, and the day will come in the not-too-distant future when you'll either start wanting a newer, faster model or you'll actually need to get one in order to be able to run necessary modern versions of things. And when you do, part of the price of that new computer that you pay to Apple will go to all of the folks on the software side who kept you in "free" macOS upgrades during the entire lifetime of your previous Mac. That's just the way it works; neither Apple nor any other company runs their software business as a loss-leader without compensation of any kind.

Moving now to our case. With us (AgileBits), the software - 1Password - is all we do. Since we don't make smartphones or computers or tablets to sell you, we can't conceal the cost of our software by folding it into the purchase price of a device you buy from us. More importantly, we also refuse to take venture capital funding from "angel investors" to whom we'd then be accountable, and whose interests for 1Password might be very different from our own or that of our users. We prefer to make the entire cost of developing and supporting 1Password visible to the potential user, instead of trying to conceal the true cost behind ad sales or marketing your "user profile" data to "selected partners, so you can each fairly decide for yourselves whether 1Password is "worth it" to you. With 1Password, you get the peace of mind that comes from knowing that the entire revenue stream of the company developing the app in which you store your most important, sensitive data comes from the direct sale of 1Password to users (either in license or subscription form), you are our customer, and not our product.

• Jonathanm1
    Jonathanm1
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars,
    Thanks for your explanation...BTW a Samsung SSD for 150€ has made an old clunker into a Ferrari!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jonathanm1 - yep, adding an SSD can really increase the speed of things on an older Mac using either a "Fusion" drive or an old spinny-platter hard drive. But even that boost only gets one so far; it can't increase the bus speed, and eventually the rest of the system that can't be upgraded as easily as swapping out some RAM or the hard drive becomes old enough that Apple will drop support for it the next time macOS is upgraded. That can be anywhere from six to ten years, depending upon multiple factors, including Apple's discretion. So definitely enjoy your new Ferrari, but don't forget that it's not an indefinite upgrade. :)

This discussion has been closed.