New version required?

SystemSystem

Team Member
This discussion was created from comments split from: Totally Confused with the new 1Password7 Model.

Comments

• Uhm, I didn't need a new version - its been working just fine for years. Now it appears there is no way to continue without forking out cash every month, at least on my iPhone.

Very unhappy. I guess this means stopping at the previous version of chrome and disabling updates.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @geoff99,

Very unhappy.

I'm sorry we've made you feel that way.

its been working just fine for years.

That's great to hear and speaks volumes about the value of 1Password. That said, licenses are for a particular version of 1Password -- they don't include upgrades. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. Membership makes this a bit easier because it includes access to the latest version of 1Password for all of your compatible devices.

I guess this means stopping at the previous version of chrome and disabling updates.

With respect: that would be rather unwise, but I suppose that is one way in which you could move forward. As someone who has some level of concern about information security, as evidenced by your use of 1Password, keeping your software up to date should be a priority.

There are a lot of other advantages of membership as well, which you can read about here:

About 1Password membership

I'd highly recommend taking a look. We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Ben

• Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I've been very happy with the product to date and have recommended it to others enthusiastically.

I don't have a problem paying a reasonable price for an upgrade once every few years. As a product developer myself I do understand that people need to make a living and thus need an ongoing revenue stream. However, essentially forcing me into a subscription model is not acceptable to me for a number of reasons. If there were a version for the iPhone that didn't have a monthly fee (essentially a perpetual license for a particular version) I would be happy with that.

I don't like the idea of my data being in a place where I may lose control of what happens to it or where it could be held hostage to a pricing model change. Promises made today can be changed tomorrow. For that matter, I have no interest in paying for yet another cloud service.

Please bring back the pay once per version model across ALL the devices/platforms. Also please retain the ability to use my own methods of syncing the vault data as in the older versions.

As for chrome upgrades, its not at all clear to me that the benefits are worth the trade-off in leaking more and more information to Google. Yes, they fix bugs and close holes but they also create more in the process of adding new features. The same is true of almost any software that is not fairly static. In any case I've mostly stopped using chrome for that reason although its harder and harder to escape chromium.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@geoff99 - to be clear, as of version 7 (the current version on all platforms), there is still the ability to purchase standalone licenses. For either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows, installing the app and then clicking the license link on the Purchase Options screen should get you there (looks like this on Mac, slightly different on Windows):

For iOS or Android, the app is free to download use the basic features, indefinitely. There is a $9.99 in-app purchase which unlocks the Pro features.

I don't like the idea of my data being in a place where I may lose control of what happens to it or where it could be held hostage to a pricing model change.

Fortunately, that's why there's a local cache of your data inside every device on which you have a 1Password app installed, which is how you can use it without an internet connection. Your data is yours, and we make it so you can use it even if servers are down or we as a company were to vanish overnight. If we decided to make a pricing change to something unreasonable in your opinion, you could export the data in either CSV or .1pif and take it to any alternative solution you wished. Even today, an account that enters Frozen status for non-payment isn't "locked" -- a user's Master Password will still unlock it, and data can be exported. It just can't be edited, added-to or deleted.

• Thank you for clearing all that up. That seems like it could be just what I'm looking for.

I can't seem to find the place that you have shown in your replay. I have surfed around your site and all I can find is the subscription stuff. I'm unable to find anything about the licensing option you have mentioned.

Can you share a link?

Your response has also triggered some questions. Is the documentation available online? I'm starting to wonder if I can use my own methods for syncing vaults - keep using dropbox for example. It also sounds like it might start 'phoning home'.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@geoff99 - we aren't advertising standalone licenses as 1password.com accounts are the best way forward for new users. Standalone licenses are available for those who want them and know what they are and how to set up the various manual options like sync via Dropbox or other means, and the like. You will see the Purchase Options screen when you launch 1Password 7 for Mac or Windows for the first time.

Your response has also triggered some questions. Is the documentation available online?

We're here to answer questions that users have, if they can't find answers on their own, so feel free to ask away. In terms of documentation, I'm not quite sure what you're asking about. Our support site is https://support.1password.com and most of the major functions of 1Password are covered in detail there. The page on Dropbox sync, for example, is available here. If you can't find what you're looking for, we're happy to help.

It also sounds like it might start 'phoning home'.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - Dropbox might? Or 1Password might? What are you concerned about? Can you clarify?

• Yes, I'm wondering if 1Password autonomously (i.e. without the user asking it to do so) contacts your servers. For example, some applications will, perhaps unbeknownst to the user, periodically send usage information and internal data to a server run by the company that makes the application. Things like that add to attack surface and leak information.

Why is an account the best way forward? I still don't know what the standalone licenses cost but, based on history of the price of earlier versions, it seems likely the monthly fees will add up to considerably more. Frankly, the only reason I am even considering any of this is because of the break caused by the new version of chrome. (which I've now downgraded and disabled updates for the time being)

I don't need any other features in a password manager. I would be very happy to pay a reasonable price so you would continue to maintain the version that I already have. It did its job very well and didn't need any more features.

Oh, and it appears that, if I understand what its saying, that version 7 will change the format of the vault file in my dropbox, breaking my other devices. It also helpfully backs up the original data in a different format. I stopped when I reached that point and uninstalled version 7.

Can you tell me what the standalone price is for Window, Mac and iPhone?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@geoff99,

Can you tell me what the standalone price is for Window, Mac and iPhone?

A 1Password 7 for Mac single user license is $64.99 USD + tax, as is a 1Password 7 for Windows single user license (sold separately). They are on sale right now for $49.99 USD + tax each. This sale may end at any time. It was originally scheduled to last a week or two, but that has stretched into a few months. You likely already have 1Password 7 for iOS:

1Password on the iTunes App Store

The upgrade from v6 to v7 on iOS is free, including the Pro features (if you've purchased them).

Yes, I'm wondering if 1Password autonomously (i.e. without the user asking it to do so) contacts your servers. For example, some applications will, perhaps unbeknownst to the user, periodically send usage information and internal data to a server run by the company that makes the application. Things like that add to attack surface and leak information.

You may wish to review our privacy policy:

Private by design

And our security guide:

About the 1Password security model

In short: we value customer privacy well above any desire to understand usage statistics.

Why is an account the best way forward?

For one: we're no longer advertising standalone licensing. We've built the membership service based on a lot of customer feedback over the last decade. It is a tailor build service made specifically for the purpose of offering the best 1Password experience possible, whereas standalone usage relies on 3rd party generic cloud storage/sync providers. Additionally membership allows you to utilize the latest version of 1Password on each of your compatible devices. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. You can read more about what membership offers here:

About 1Password membership

Oh, and it appears that, if I understand what its saying, that version 7 will change the format of the vault file in my dropbox, breaking my other devices. It also helpfully backs up the original data in a different format. I stopped when I reached that point and uninstalled version 7.

1Password 7 uses the OPVault format, which is not exactly new. It was introduced in December 2012 and shortly thereafter became the default format for syncing with iCloud and Dropbox. It is fully compatible with both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7. The legacy Agile Keychain format has been retired due to the fact that it does not encrypt metadata (such as item titles). If you're still using Agile Keychain I'd highly recommend upgrading to OPVault even if you don't upgrade to 1Password 7 right now.

Ben

• @geoff99 What I enjoy about the 1 Password membership is the ability to always have the latest version of 1 Password and the peace of mind 1 Password brings me is definitely worth it's subscription price I think. The subscription based membership makes everything with 1 Password a breeze, I really enjoy how my data syncs between my phone and computer.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@Tomatoshadow2 - that's it, in a nutshell. The math in terms of cost of subscription vs license(s) works out differently depending on users' individual situations, but especially if you have family members (even a spouse or significant other, let alone a couple of kids/parents), 1Password Families gets to be very attractive quickly. Standalone licenses are sold per version, per-person and per-platform, meaning each person needs his or her own license which never expires but is only good for the version they purchased (including in-version updates like 7.2 to 7.3, etc), and you need a separate license for each platform you run 1Password on. So if Mom and Dad use Macs but both use PCs at work, that's four licenses there just for two people...and only for the current version. Even at the "launch special" pricing of $49.99, that adds up fast. By contrast, a 1Password Families account covers up to five people on EVERY device they own/use...and that includes all future upgrades to new versions for as long as you maintain the account, for $59.88/yr. Add to that the purpose-built sync engine and lots of other features we could only deploy on our own sync solution like Travel Mode and Account Recovery, and it was a no-brainer (at least for my family). Thanks for the comment! :)

• @Lars Yes absolutely, thanks for explaining in more detail as you always do.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited April 4

Also worth noting that we also have individual 1Password memberships. At about half the cost of 1Password Families, it's a perfect fit for someone who isn't using 1Password with their family -- but it's also easy to switch to 1Password Families from that later on if your situation changes.

Anyway, glad Lars was able to help. We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• @brenty Yes, I have the 1Password individual membership and love it, one of the best things I ever signed up for!

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@Tomatoshadow2 😍Thanks so much for the kind words. It's the nature of the beast in customer service that you tend to hear far more often from people who ARE having a problem of some kind than people who AREN'T. Who calls up the TV station and says "picture's really clear, you're doing a great job?" 😆So when we get feedback like yours, it's especially nice for us to hear. Thanks, from all of us, and we're thrilled 1Password is such a helpful part of your digital life.

• @Lars Yes sir, absolutely, 1Password makes managing all of my passwords and data a breeze, couldn't dream of not having it, after using it. Keep up the amazing work you guys do!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file