How to migrate from stand alone 6.8.8 from the Mac App Store to 1Password Families

Options
Justmefortwo
Justmefortwo
Community Member

I have been using stand alone versions of 1Password for years, and am currently running version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac App Store. I use iCloud to sync my 1Password data on my Mac and various Apple devices. I am worried that I will lose data during the transition. I watched the Mac migration video found here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ however I have a few questions.

1. I intend to use my Mac to do the migration. Once I sign up for 1Password Families, will I get a new app installed on my Mac or is it a browser only interface? What should I do with the old stand alone version of the app, (6.8.8)?
  2. Will I download a 1Password Families app on my iOS devices, and what do I do with the existing 1Password app or is the same app used?
  3. Will iCloud retain 1Password sync data, or will the migration process remove use of iCloud completely and rely on your servers for syncing?
  4. Is there anything I can do to make a backup of my data prior to starting migration so that I can "roll back" if need be? File->Preferences->Backups shows that a back was made today a few minutes ago, is this sufficient in case something goes wrong? I have also used the File->export All items..." command to export all my data.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS Mojave Version 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Justmefortwo! Welcome to the forum!

I intend to use my Mac to do the migration. Once I sign up for 1Password Families, will I get a new app installed on my Mac or is it a browser only interface?

When you create a 1Password Families account, you will not get a second app: you can use this account inside the same 1Password app you have been using so far.

What should I do with the old stand alone version of the app, (6.8.8)?

Once you have added your 1Password account to the app, you should be prompted to upgrade to 1Password 7 while keeping all your data.

Basically, you can do everything inside the 1Password app you have currently installed, there is no need to install a second one.

Will I download a 1Password Families app on my iOS devices, and what do I do with the existing 1Password app or is the same app used?

The same applies to 1Password for iOS: you can add your 1Password Families account to the app to start using the Membership features.

Will iCloud retain 1Password sync data, or will the migration process remove use of iCloud completely and rely on your servers for syncing?

This depends on how you choose to migrate your data: if you copy items to your 1Password Families account, a copy of your data will remain in your iCloud vault. If you move your data instead, your iCloud vault will become empty.

Once you have done this, you can also remove your old Primary vault from the app so all that is used moving forward is your 1Password Families vaults. This is the option I recommend.

Is there anything I can do to make a backup of my data prior to starting migration so that I can "roll back" if need be? File->Preferences->Backups shows that a back was made today a few minutes ago, is this sufficient in case something goes wrong? I have also used the File->export All items..." command to export all my data.

With both a backup and an export, you should be able to restore everything the way it was before, should you need it.

I hope this helps! And please keep us posted :)

• Justmefortwo
    Justmefortwo
    Community Member
    Options

Migration of my data from my stand alone 1Password vault to my 1Password Families failed. According to the support page https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ I should be able to do the following:

1. Choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault, and select a vault in your new account.
    2. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account.

The Help > Troubleshooting > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account option does not exist. I can see my old stand alone vault, (Primary) as well as the new 1Password Families vaults (Private and Shared). How do I migrate my data from my stand alone 1Password vault to my 1Password Families Private vault?

• Justmefortwo
    Justmefortwo
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

If I select my 1Password Families Private vault, and then click Help > Tools there is a Migrate Primary Vault to Account... command. Is this what I need to run in order to try to migrate my data to 1Password Families?

If I select my Primary vault and then click Help > Tools the Migrate Primary Vault to Account.. command is greyed out.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Justmefortwo - I'm sorry for the trouble. If you are signed into your account in 1Password 6 for Mac, you can use these instructions to move your data from your existing standalone vault into your new 1password.com account's vault. Once you've done that, use these instructions to remove your standalone (Primary) vault, and then switch to the account only on your other devices as well. Let us know if you have any questions.

• Justmefortwo
    Justmefortwo
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars There is no Item > Move to Vault > [vault name] command nor is there an Item > Copy to Vault > [vault name]. command.

I'm running the stand alone 1Password app on a Mac, (version 6.8.8 Mac App Store). The link you sent me (https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/?mac#move-or-copy-items-in-the-apps) is for some other version, the GUI is completely different. I can not find an option to move anything. I have an Item > Share > [vault name], but I don't want to share I want to move all my data to 1Password Families. I also cannot, drag and item to another vault because I can only see 1 vault at a time.

How can I move my data to 1Password Families? I need instructions for the standalone 1Password Mac application version 6.8.8.

• Justmefortwo
    Justmefortwo
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars The correct command for 6.8.8 is Item > Share .> [vault name] > Move or Item > Share .> [vault name] > Copy

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Justmefortwo

That's the correct command. The Move/Copy command was renamed in 1Password 7 so it's not under the Share menu anymore, but they both do the same thing.

In your case, if you want to move items to your 1Password Families account, you would choose the Item > Share > [vault name] > Move command.

This discussion has been closed.