Revert frozen account to standalone on Android

Tyfourteen
Tyfourteen
Community Member

Hello Support,

I purchased 1Password a few years ago on my Android device after my trial ran out for $9.99 on the Play Store and have been using it successfully ever since. Fast forward to present day and my account is frozen, leaving me unable to add or edit items. I believe this may have come about when I got a new phone and if I recall I may have had to create an account to transfer the data? I don't remember for sure though. Anyway, I've been frozen for a while, unable to figure it out, and have meanwhile been pathetically storing passwords in a text edit file :|

In short, I'd like to revert back to whatever I was doing before so I can once again add and edit. I have attempted hours of troubleshooting to no avail. While I was able to sign in on other devices such as an iPad, and iMac, and see my info there, I'm still frozen. It appears I was able to get the the iMac version to sync to Dropbox, but I'm not sure how to start fresh with that.

Rather than upgrade to a membership, I'd like to just stick with what I had before (one Android device), as I have no need for any of the benefits of a membership such as auto-fill, syncing across devices, etc. It's also a bit pricey for all the more I use it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Tyler C.

1Password Version: 7.1.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android Version 8.0.0
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:revert frozen account

Comments

• Hi Tyler. :)

It sounds like you're signed into a 1Password membership on Android but do not have a standalone vault. Your Pro features will only work with a standalone vault, either synced through Dropbox, WLAN, or local storage. They will not work with a membership.

So to use the Pro features you purchased, you'd need to reinstall and sync with an existing vault, rather than signing into an account. You mentioned that 1Password on your Mac is syncing with Dropbox. Does it have all of your data? If so, just reinstall 1Password on Android, sync using Dropbox, and select that vault.

Let me know how that goes!

• Tyfourteen
    Tyfourteen
    Community Member

Hey Peri,

Thanks for the response. Yes, the 1Password app on my iMac has all the data and I backed it up to Dropbox, which left me with the file "1Password.opvault."

So to confirm, all I would do is:
    1. Uninstall 1Password from my Android mobile phone.
    2. Renistall 1Password to my Android mobile phone.
    3. Do not sign in, but rather choose the sync from Dropbox option

Is all that correct? Thanks again for the assistance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tyfourteen: Correct! :) :+1:

• Tyfourteen
    Tyfourteen
    Community Member

Ok, I did that, but as it turns out, the Personal Vault had all the info, but the Primary (empty) is the one that synced.

So while the empty vault did successfully sync with the Android, obviously no info carried over. I did attempt to copy over the information to the Primary vault from the personal vault, but those options are grayed out.

What other options do I have?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

You'll need to have data in the Primary (local) vault you're syncing with Dropbox in order for that to be useful to you. The Personal vault is part of the 1Password membership account. Have you maybe not actually selected the correct vault yet? Also, Documents exist only in 1Password.com accounts, so you'd need to export those files and add them to a lock vault as attachments to other items.

But weren't you using a local vault before? Why not just using that same one?

• Tyfourteen
    Tyfourteen
    Community Member

So is there any way to get that data from the Personal vault to the Primary so it can be synced? I don't see a way to sync the personal vault. As far as I'm aware, I was using a local vault before. I think this all came about when I got a new phone and if I recall, created a membership to transfer everything to the new phone, unaware of the pickle I'd be in as opposed to doing a Dropbox sync.

• You can copy items from your Personal vault in the 1Password membership account to your Primary vault in your standalone vault in Dropbox.

To move items to your Primary vault, select the Personal vault using the sidebar on your Mac and view All Items in the vault. Go to Edit > Select All using the menu bar to select all items in your Personal vault. Navigate to Item > Copy to Vault > Primary using the menu bar and all your items should get copied over to the Primary vault. These items will show up on your Android device after syncing your data. Let us know if that works!

• Tyfourteen
    Tyfourteen
    Community Member

Hey Saad, if you look back a few posts, I did attempt to do that, however, the options to copy and move were grayed out.

• Just to confirm, did you select all of the items in your Personal vault before navigating to the copy items menu? The vaults to copy items to will be greyed out if you don’t have any items selected.

• Tyfourteen
    Tyfourteen
    Community Member

Yep, all items are selected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tyfourteen: Hmm. I wonder if there was some bug in the outdated version you're using. Can you try installing the current version of 1Password for Mac?

https://1password.com/downloads/

Also, which vault are you viewing in these screenshots? It doesn't show.

• Tyfourteen
    Tyfourteen
    Community Member

Yep, just installed the most recent version.

I'm viewing those selected items in my personal vault. The primary vault, which is synced to Dropbox is empty. I want to get the items from the personal vault to the primary vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Bummer. I'm not sure why you're not able to to copy on your Mac, but you should be able to on Android at least if you're signed into the account there. Have you tried that?

https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/?android#move-or-copy-items-in-the-apps

Let me know if that helps!

• Tyfourteen
    Tyfourteen
    Community Member

That worked! Good idea. That is odd it copied on Android but not the Mac, though.

The only issue now is when I click the plus to add a new item, it says "Your free trial has ended. Buy now to permanently unlock pro features." As I mentioned in my first post, I did buy it for $9.99 on the Play Store several years ago on my previous phone. Does that purchase carry over to my new phone? If so, how do I let 1Password know I've already purchased it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tyfourteen: Glad that helped! :)

I'd suggest resetting 1Password for Mac and installing a fresh copy, as it's definitely not normal for that not to work. Something is likely damaged there, and I don't want you to encounter other odd issues. Then you can sync your data back again.

Regarding the Pro Features in 1Password for Android, that is handled by the Google Play store. In order for it to validate your purchase, you'd need to install the app using the correct Google Account and also use that to restore the purchase. Let me know how it goes!

• Tyfourteen
    Tyfourteen
    Community Member

For the Android device, I ended up uninstalling the app, and reinstalling it through the Play Store, but with an older login. Then when I re-synced, I finally could add and edit items. Yay!

As far as the Mac app through the App Store, I reset and reinstalled, but it's simply read-only since I can't imagine my Play Store purchase would carry over to the App Store. I don't really need it on my computer anyway, but at the very least I can keep it synced.

Otherwise, I'm good to go. I've been unable to add or edit for a long time, so it's great to have that back! Thanks again for all the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tyfourteen: Ah, gotcha! You're very welcome. Glad that you were able to get it sorted on your Android device. :chuffed:

Indeed, 1Password for Mac is a separate purchase, but as you noted you can still access your data there as "read-only" in a pinch. And if you find yourself wanting to use 1Password seamlessly across all your devices, a 1Password membership makes that easy -- and includes automatic offsite backup and a lot of other benefits that help as well. Happy to help you make the transition of you decide you'd like that. :)

This discussion has been closed.