1Password 7 upgrade [a separate license purchase, or included in a membership]

Jonathanm1
Jonathanm1
Community Member
edited April 2019 in Mac

I have purchased a stand alone licence in 2013 or 2014 and everytime I go to use the system I get this sign up window opening????? I have had the odd problem with updates needed to be added to the browser extension...but nothing like this crap!
Have you been taken over by another company with "great" new marketing model...

Upon further investigation it says I now have no licence!!!!!! I am free to purchase one...how kind of you?

Tell me what I have to do to fix this....5 years of good service can be so quickly undone by some idiot...

Spending time on this now...it seems that Ipassword 7 was downloaded but now you want more money for this...I have gone back to 1Password 6...again why the change????

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Version 7 needs a new licence (or a subscription). I would guess that you only have the old licence.

AgileBits decided that instead of giving a discount to holders of an old licence they would for a while (it's been quite a long time) give a discount to all users.

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member

The discount for the standalone license has been in place since launch, which I think was in the summer. They don't make it easy to know that the license is still an option, they've acknowledged that they deliberately avoid including the option on their marketing pages. But it is there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, a license for 1Password for Mac version 7 can be purchased from within the app (if you've set it up with a local vault), or it's included along with all apps and updates in a 1Password membership. You can find more details in the announcement:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

And we're here to answer any questions. :)

• Jonathanm1
    Jonathanm1
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Thank you for your comments...I have now had to go back to version 6 even though they don't mention - or at least not obviously, that version 7 is part of your licence upgrade...they just encourage you to update and tell you later you have to pay again...no really very cocher...they all want to screw you into a monthly subscription basis...shame - this was one of the few software companies I had some respect for...
    BTW don't see now how to get version 6 extension into Safari...they say it is already there?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Jonathanm1 - I've addressed the related comments you made in another thread in a reply to that thread. I can definitely understand that you've gotten used to free upgrades since (if you purchased in 2013 or 2014) you have been getting free, full-version upgrades since then. That was a function of the fact that we weren't easily able to charge for upgrades in the Mac App Store, and it didn't seem fair to charge users of our own version of 1Password upgrade fees when those who purchased from the Mac App Store were getting them for free. So the result was that for a few years, all users of 1Password for Mac enjoyed free full-version upgrades, from version 4 to version 5 and all the way through version 6. That's (in the longest cases) over six years and four versions for some users, who haven't had to pay a dime for all those upgrades.

Unfortunately, it became clear that selling a single license one time to each user and never again meant that we'd have to rely on a revenue based entirely on ONLY new customers, since everyone who'd already paid once would no longer be helping fund development of new versions. And it became increasingly clear as 1Password's user-base grew and required support, documentation and further development to keep the software you depend on for securing your most important data current and secure, that this was an unsustainable model for us.

1Password 7 for Mac represents the first time we've charged existing users of 1Password for Mac for an upgrade in years, and it follows the industry-standard model of free in-version updates (like from 7.2 to 7.3), but paid upGRADES to new versions (like from 6.x to 7.0, etc). I do apologize if the fact that you haven't been asked for several years to pay for the new versions you've received led you to believe that you'd be able to continue receiving free upgrades forever and not ever be asked to pay again for new versions. That's on us, and we've learned some valuable lessons for the future from it about not setting user expectations that 1Password has a "lifetime license."

However, in order to download 1Password 7 for Mac, users must do so intentionally; there never was any "upgrade-then-get-asked-to-pay" situation. Any user who has version 6.x (or earlier) installed does not and will not get any notification that an update is available. That means any such user who installs version 7 of 1Password for Mac had to intentionally download it separately, either from the Mac App Store or from our downloads page.

To be clear, standalone licenses are indeed available for 1Password 7 for Mac, as both @danco and brenty mentioned. The retail price is $64.99 but they are on sale now at the "launch special" price of $49.99, if you'd like to use the current version (which is what we recommend; keep your OS, browser, and 1Password up-to-date, instead of using outdated versions).

Let us know if you have any further questions.

• PetshopBoys
    PetshopBoys
    Community Member

I can't believe it! All the goodwill of such a great product. This is a major botch up!

I don't think there is any question that users are willing to pay for a GREAT product that has been working all these years. But the poor attempt at milking and migrating users leave a very very bad taste. This is especially so when your users feel that they have been taken hostage with all the faith and love that they have placed in your product.

My only choices are now to move to the new version, a bit pricey at $3 a month or dump 1Password and go back to the old ways or find a competing product.

I shall not rant about how the whole install, reinstall version 6, version 7, backup and plug in debacle which took 3 hours of my life away.

For now I have taken the step of exporting it all and keeping a copy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@PetshopBoys: I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not sure you read the discussion you're posting in though, because it sounds like you're saying that we forced you to upgrade to version 7 and forced you to purchase a subscription, and neither are the case. Rather than "taken hostage", you would have had to intentionally seek out and install version 7 and sign up for a membership in order to have either; and it can be purchased either as a separate license, or you can get it along with all of the apps and updates with a 1Password membership. I'm sorry for any confusion about that.

• PetshopBoys
    PetshopBoys
    Community Member

The safari plug in “disappeared” either by design or as a bug. It redirected me to a download page for 6.8.9? Upon download and installing it prompted for a upgrade to 7?

It could simply be very poor design or just being an unlucky user who has a unique “upgrade” experience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

@PetshopBoys: The only way you'd be prompted to upgrade to 1Password 7 from an earlier version is if you were signed into a 1Password membership account in the app, which is as it should be, since all upgrades are included with that. Neither a design issue nor bad luck, we can't stop you from signing up for a membership account. If you don't want one, you just need to sign out of it and use a local vault.

• PetshopBoys
    PetshopBoys
    Community Member

Anyway this is not a fiticious account of what happened. In my professional experience I never fault my clients or users and always boil it down to a weakness in my process which causes issues for my users. Just stating my stand, the revenue from my account would not matter much to 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If you have suggestions for how we can improve things to prevent people who don't want memberships from signing up for them anyway without making it more difficult for those who do want them to sign up for them, we're open to suggestions. :)

This discussion has been closed.