I want folders back [tags are used in 1Password 7 and higher]

Tyronic
Tyronic
Community Member
edited April 2019 in iOS

I've been a 1 Password customer for nearly 10 years now. I've never had an issue before, but this is really irritating. I log in, find all my folders are gone today (5 April 2019) and they've been replaced with tags. Now instead of sorting my items into folders, I need to remember my exact tag name, case sensitive and all if I want to organize my logins. So basically, we have regressed, you say these tags are better, I question how? How is it better that I have another step to do, which takes an extra annoying 30 seconds for every item I wish to file? The pro feature which I purchased still advertises "Folders", not tags.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I want my folders back.

Comments

• Hi @Tyronic

I'm sorry to hear you're less than thrilled with tags. :( Admittedly it has been some time since I've used folders. Would you mind elaborating about how folders were more convenient for you? There may be additional improvements we can look into. What made it easier to put an item in a folder than adding a tag to it?

Ben

• Tyronic
    Tyronic
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Well the main thing is I created a folder structure for all my logins. I had various categories all lined up and ready so when I created a new login could simply hit the “move” (icon) button. I would then see all of the folders I have already created and I could then simply select which folder I wanted to place my new login into quickly and simply.

Now there is no move button, I have to remember my folder names (now tag names) exactly, then type the tag in while editing the item, hoping I don’t accidentally change anything, then it goes in my tag menu.

Opposed to clicking “move” picking a folder and done.

Hope you guys can make the tag thing simpler if it’s going to stay around. I appreciate your attentiveness.

Thanks Ben

• I think that is very fair feedback. I can see how handy it would be to be able to get a list of existing tags to be able to apply to an item. I'll certainly pass this suggestion along to the rest of the team. I can't promise more than that, but hopefully we'll be able to make this more convenient in the future. Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Ben

• honeymonkey
    honeymonkey
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

I too was lost this morning when I went to find my insurance company and the correct credit card. I actually had to hang up and call back with all the info written out the old way. Not sure I get the use of tags. I spent a day tagging everything a few months ago, after failing to find things that I know were tagged with key words, I went back to folders. What am I doing wrong?. Also, now when I am logging in at a bank and hit the little key to fill in my credentials, 1password cannot find the bank even though I know it is tagged with 4 tags. It will come up with a couple of suggestions, but they are not correct. The way I had it working before as the previous poster did seemed to be perfect. I do not know if the option to have “organize” reinstated would throw off your roadmap of the kind of product you envisioned, but it sure messed up mine. This Forced move to tags I think is going to be like starting over again. I can see countless hours ahead rebuilding my substantial vault to fit the policies your company wants me to adhere to. I really don’t know where to start. Maybe your methods will be liked better in the end once I rebuild from scratch. I guess I really have no choice as it is of no use as it is now to me. It would be nice in this instance to be able to print out all my data to re-enter, but I guess that feature is not available. I dread the hundreds of lines in the note section to transfer.
    If there is a simple less time consuming fix, I am all ears. I think my only option is to learn the “proper” way and start over.

I too bought the pro version for the folder feature and it was taken from me. Not happy with this last update!
    ...HM

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure what update you're referring to, as this isn't something we've chugged recently. Tags make it easy to find items without giving them all the same (or similar) name: give them all the same tag, and you can easily select (or search for) that to view them all at once -- without the annoying (and technically problematic, for syncing) imitation of folders: a single folder per item. It seems like maybe the difficulty you're having is that you're using four different tags to try to group those items when that might work for you better using a single tag (four words?) But it's hard to say without knowing the specifics. You can certainly add additional tags as well, but having one for the specific purpose you seem to be describing sounds like it would get you the result you want, and then you're free to add other unrelated tags too.

• jatu
    jatu
    Community Member

I like and prefer the folder structure. I have 500+ records sorted out into foldes and subfolders. I also have many records with tags. Now in iOS everything is mixed up into one tab (new folder/subfolder tags, former tags). It's quite messy. Folders were kept in PC version, but without any notice, every single record got new 'folder/subfolder' tag. I don't really like such approach. In previous version every user could decide what sorting model will use (folder and/or tags). Would it be possible to revert back to that one? Thanks. JT

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jatu: No. Tags are what 1Password uses for organization going forward. What exactly do you like and prefer about the folders? We're more than happy to hear about specific use cases to take into account as we continue to make tags even more useful, since that's our focus for both technical and usability reasons. You may bristle at that if you're invested in folders already for whatever reason, but the reality is that it was confusing for many people to have both, and folders cause big issues for multiple people working with the same data. So I don't expect we're going to go back to that.

• jatu
    jatu
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@brenty: It is simple, I haven't found any convenient way how to work with tags in 1Password v4 (Windows) that I use because of WLAN Sync. Have I missed something?

• honeymonkey
    honeymonkey
    Community Member

The update Brenty is the most recent ios update. I used 1password the night of apr4th started the ios update and in the morning my entire folder structure was gone. I dont suppose one could revert back, but then I imagine I would have security issues going forward. Itoo had a large number of folders and subfolders to sort data.I had multiple tags as having 1 tag was not renering results when doing a search. Frankly I do not know where to start to make this work for me. I have been forced today to go back to paper and pen till I can figure out this mess that was thrust upon me. I understand now that 1password was moving entirely to the tag system. But this was news to me. I had no reason to pay attention to tags since I never thought my way of doing things would change. I tried tags a few months ago, it was not as effective for my situation, so I paid no attention. I dont follow the forums and thought if something was going to affect my 1password pgm so much I would have gotten a heads up, like, In 1 more week your folder structure will be wiped.
    I just think a little more effort to warn us would be the proper way to handle this move. Brenty, you may not have “chugged” tags on us all of a sudden, but up till a day ago I thought folders was still an option. By your reply Brenty you obviously do not understand how we were using folders.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jatu:

I haven't found any convenient way how to work with tags in 1Password v4 (Windows)

Can you please clarify what you mean by "convenient" here?

If you add tags to an item on any 1Password app, this information will be synced to all your other 1Password apps. And the organizational structure you can use is the same as the one offered by folders, so you should be able to replicate your structure with tags as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@honeymonkey:

The latest iOS update added support for nested tags to iOS too, but it didn't introduce tags in this release. Support for tags in iOS has been there for quite some time now, as Brenty mentioned, so I don't think the latest update caused this.

Can you please give us an example of something that you were doing with folders that you are not able to do with tags?

• jatu
    jatu
    Community Member

@ag_ana: Thank you for your reply. I can imagine I will use tags and nested tag as a new sorting model, but where I can find the tag organizational structure (tree) in the 1Password v4 for Windows (like in ios and like it is visible on the screenshots of the 1Password v7 for Windows)? I can only search for tags. As I mentioned earlier I cannot move to v7 as wifi sync is crucial for me.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

1Password 4 for Windows does not have that feature. v4 was retired over a year ago. It will not be updated further. By continuing to use it you're losing out on any new features added to the product line as well as any security enhancements that come along. The notable differences between it and its modern counterparts will only continue to grow as time marches on. 1Password 7 and 1Password membership are the way forward. Dave has commented extensively about the situation with WLAN sync here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/494015/#Comment_494015

Let's please keep this thread on topic about tags. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jatu: Thanks for clarifying. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. You're right. As Ben mentioned, 1Password 4 doesn't support nested tags at all, as this is a new feature in version 7. But also relevant is that 1Password for Windows version 4 had only basic support for tags at all: you can access them only by pressing Alt ↓ in the search box. All of them should be available, but I agree that the UI is not a good experience there. That's one of the many reasons we've built a new Windows app, to have a good foundation to build all of the current and future 1Password features we want, and using Microsoft's latest tools to allow us to support a lot of modern Windows features too. I know that doesn't really solve the issue you're having, but hopefully it gives you some insight into what we're trying to do. If you'd like to upgrade, just shoot me an email at sales@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here. I"ll be happy to help you make the transition.

• honeymonkey
    honeymonkey
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply ag_ana. If you were to reread my last message you will ,see ,that I am not saying tags were just introduced to me, as I stated, I tried using them several times with results that were not favorable to my usage. What I did say was April 6th was the day the update removed my whole folder structure leaving me in a bit of a bind. Since I see that folders will not be reinstated, I guess I will just have to find a way to deal with it, I cannot find all my data now. I am sure it is still all there, I just cannot find it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@honeymonkey If you open 1Password on your iOS devices and tap on the Tags tab at the bottom of the screen, what do you see in the screen that appears?

• honeymonkey
    honeymonkey
    Community Member

Good morning ag_ana. When I open 1password I see pages and pages of tags I initionally createdback when tags were introduced. Mixed in with these tags are what looks like Tags with the names of the missing folders. When I click on the tag with the missing folder name 1pasword crashes., so. i cannot see if eventually leads me to what I am looking for.
    Is the tag that was generated with the folder name suppose to act like a folder?
    Thanks
    HMq

• @honeymonkey

I'm sorry to hear that. If you are experiencing crashes with 1Password for iOS, first please be sure you are using the latest version:

1Password 7 for iOS - iTunes App Store

If you are, and are still experiencing crashes, please send us the crash logs directly. Here are the steps you'll need to follow:

1. Plug your phone into your computer and sync it with iTunes.
    2. Switch to the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose "Go to Folder..."
    3. Paste the following into the window that pops up: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/
    4. Select all the files that begin with 1Password and drag them to Mail in the Dock to create a new mail message.
    5. Send the email to support+forum@agilebits.com

With your email please include a link to this thread:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/500710/#Comment_500710
    as well as your forum handle.

When you send the message you will get an automated reply from BitBot containing a Support ID. Please post the Support ID here so we can 'connect the dots.'

Is the tag that was generated with the folder name suppose to act like a folder?

Sort of, yes. Tags and folders are similar, but an item can have one or more tags, whereas it could only live in one folder. The idea is that tags are supposed to do everything folders did, but are more flexible.

Ben

• Additionally: do any of your tags have a backslash ( \ ) in their name? There is a known issue with tags containing a backslash.

Ben

• honeymonkey
    honeymonkey
    Community Member

Thanks guys for all your attention. I will have to round up a computer to run itunes on.
    Just so I understand correctly
    1- just by recent posts I am getting the impression that the folders were removed, but thet are still there in the form of a “super tag”? If I did happen to get my old folder - tags to work, I should still see the folder name with the sub tags nested within, along with all the entries sorted within? This would make it easier if I had to re-enter all the data in again.
    2- I should be able to use tags in a similar way to sort data into compartments by way of using tags and nested tags.

I believe I am using the latest version of 1password, but before finding an itunes computer for log retreval,do you think that not updating to ios 12.2 could be an issue for the crashing. I have been holding off because of the new issues apple introduces in the form of bugs.
    Thanks,
    HM

• honeymonkey
    honeymonkey
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

It will take me some time to complete the hunt for \ being in the name. Will report findings Ben

• 1- just by recent posts I am getting the impression that the folders were removed, but thet are still there in the form of a “super tag”? If I did happen to get my old folder - tags to work, I should still see the folder name with the sub tags nested within, along with all the entries sorted within? This would make it easier if I had to re-enter all the data in again.

I'm not entirely sure I follow but the point is that folders have been converted to tags so you should not have to re-enter or re-tag any data. If an item was in a "Banking" folder, for example, it should now be tagged "Banking."

It will take me some time to complete the hunt for \ being in the name. Will report findings Ben

Very good.

I will have to round up a computer to run itunes on.

If that isn't practical please let me know and we can come up with another way, but iTunes would be the best if possible.

2- I should be able to use tags in a similar way to sort data into compartments by way of using tags and nested tags.

Yes, exactly. Tags should be capable of everything folders were, in addition to being more flexible (in that an item can have multiple tags but can only be in one folder). So for example an item could have both a "Banking" tag as well as a "Taxes" tag, but if those tags were folders the item could've only been in one of them.

I believe I am using the latest version of 1password, but before finding an itunes computer for log retreval,do you think that not updating to ios 12.2 could be an issue for the crashing. I have been holding off because of the new issues apple introduces in the form of bugs.

I haven't noticed any bugs with iOS 12.2. What issues are you concerned about? In general we'd always recommend running the latest versions of both 1Password and iOS, and that is what we test most rigorously against.

Thanks guys for all your attention.

You're most welcome and likewise thank you for your patience while we work through this together.

Ben

• pwhelper4tx
    pwhelper4tx
    Community Member

I am overwrought that I have lost folders. Folders != Tags. Folders enable hierarchies of other folders and the easy ability to move items from one place to another. I don't want to have to change tags on each thing I might "move" around. Or, worse yet, start adding compounded tag names to represent the notion of nested folders. Thank goodness this is still preserved on the MacOS version of 1Password. This is a huge disappointment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

An item can only belong to a single folder at a time. That's the difference with tags: no such limitation. If you just tell yourself in your mind "it's a folder", you can certainly impose the same restriction on yourself when using tags if you choose. Not everyone misses the limitation though. :)

• ragtimeroastbeefy
    ragtimeroastbeefy
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Hey there, I’ve got a few grievances about the missing folders, especially as they’re the reason I paid for the full version.

• Tags must be added individually. Am now having to go through every login and manually add a tag in order to see it in a certain category on the tags page. You’ve said tags allow for items to belong to multiple headings at once - which is great if you’re using tags. I don’t need to cross categorize folders. I want my work stuff in one place, my social media logins in another, etc.

• When adding tags, there is no reference to pre-existing tags. Am having to work from memory to figure out what heading I want something under, and often can’t remember which tags I’ve already gone with.

• Tag order cannot be changed. Some folders I used more frequently than others and would like them at the top.

• I don’t always know what I’m searching for, so typing in a tag isn’t even an option. Folders allowed me to keep it simple I.e, a folder called WORK would have all work related logins, even ones I wasn’t always aware I had. Going through every single entry and adding a tag isn’t realistic. I want to move things more freely than that.

I cannot fathom for the life of me why you would remove such a useful feature. That users can’t select multiple logins and mass tag them makes this changeover even more difficult. Any app or OS worth its weight allows users to organise items under headings and lump them together for ease of access. Suggesting tags as a replacement when they have no where near the same level of flexibility or user friendliness doesn’t even make sense. They’re not the same thing at all.

If you have already created a solution that I haven’t looked hard enough to find, please let me know! I would be very grateful.

• Hi @ragtimeroastbeefy

Most of the concerns you brought up don't exist with our desktop apps (1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows). We're working on making the tagging experience on mobile better, and more in line with what is possible in the desktop apps. I do apologize for the inconvenience in the mean time.

Ben

• ragtimeroastbeefy
    ragtimeroastbeefy
    Community Member

That’s great, but I use 1Password exclusively on mobile, and a solution that was working great is now a big fat mess to sort through. Folders were fine. In fact, your app still advertises them. This was literally why I pay and why it was useful to me. It’s frustrating that this feature was removed before a suitable alternative was implemented. Until you can ‘make the tagging experience better’, this feature should have been left in place. Nobody is applauding its removal, but plenty of users are reaching out for help. If your vision is to go hard with tags going forward, so be it, but removing a chair leg before the replacement is finished leaves it useless.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ragtimeroastbeefy - thanks for the feedback, and I'm sorry this has negatively affected your workflow. We'll continue to iterate on the tags option in 1Password on all platforms, and thanks for your patience.

• rafche
    rafche
    Community Member

I want my folders back too. I was using tags and folders, now my tags are completely screwed up. For over 10 years I'm a sysadmin. I have hundreds of passwords. The folder structure was super handy for organizing and finding passwords.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rafche!

Can you please clarify what you mean by "screwed up"? Everything that was possible in folders is also possible in tags from a structure point of view, so we you should be able to replicate the same structure you like.

This discussion has been closed.